Why become a member? ×

August Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Just now, NickD said:

if it's got no bagpipes

I can guarantee a complete absence of bagpipes... We've recorded 8 songs in 1 take of 31'20" this afternoon, after playing through my new one a few times first. It was originally called Back Chat (I parle Francais proper,me!) but our singist changed the title (and some of the lyrics!!!).

Just got to mix all of them for the gig on Saturday then extract Kiss This (as it's now called). It's quite exuberant! 

• Like 2

Here is my contribution to the August 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner, Xgsjx.

The picture suggests culture, sophistication, romance and Tango. Exotic strangers in ultra-cool bars, accordions and garlic... yada, yada, yada.

Puis Je presenter - Last Tango In Barnsley.

All recorded in Cubase Elephants, with my Jake 5+, a Westbury Standard, Helix LT and gratuitous overuse of an EBow in lieu of not having an Accordion. Thanks to the Mrs and Roland for adding drums

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NickD said:

Here is my contribution to the August 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner, Xgsjx.

The picture suggests culture, sophistication, romance and Tango. Exotic strangers in ultra-cool bars, accordions and garlic... yada, yada, yada.

Puis Je presenter - Last Tango In Barnsley.

All recorded in Cubase Elephants, with my Jake 5+, a Westbury Standard, Helix LT and gratuitous overuse of an EBow in lieu of not having an Accordion. Thanks to the Mrs and Roland for adding drums

Well if there were a compo for the best lyric this months "I trembled in my moccasins" would get my vote.😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Here's the song wot I wrote for my band, this is recorded live in our living room... It's about ploughing your own furrow and not being a sheep! Or a cat, for that matter...

That's tidy! 😎

• Thanks 1

Mines about ready , dont be too cruel , its been a busy month and Ive got a few days leave to squeeze in, I'm not sure I could get away with cancelling the B&B for a few days to get this into shape :lol:

but never the less enjoy 

Oh for the cute factor I got Albus , my 5 year old grandson to contribute , he doesnt know he has but I tried to teach him a bit of a foreign language, and recorded it !

• Like 2

Late entry for August 2000 BC composition challenge from a total newbie to this enterprise.

Done in Reaper with stock plug-ins (apart from a freebie transient editor for extra added murk), an SM55 mic, an Epiphone Sorrento. Drums by Jamstix, and a Bronco into MIDI into the 'Gutbucket' washtub bass VST by Samsara.

↓↓ Dunno if I've got in over the line but here it is anyway :) ↓↓

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, skankdelvar said:
Late entry for August 2000 BC composition challenge from a total newbie to this enterprise.

Done in Reaper with stock plug-ins (apart from a freebie transient editor for extra added murk), an SM55 mic, an Epiphone Sorrento. Drums by Jamstix, and a Bronco into MIDI into the 'Gutbucket' washtub bass VST by Samsara.

↓↓ Dunno if I've got in over the line but here it is anyway :) ↓↓

As long as the song gets posted here before the voting thread goes up , all is good 😎

• Thanks 1

Arghhh. Think I missed this by seconds... (OK, 6 hours.)
Am still posting it as I promised myself I'd try something but assumed we had until the end of August. Still, just posting to prove I did create something. Went for a rather obvious Air-influenced French Band vibe.

Edited by Baceface
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

@Skol303 may be able to squeeze this in, as the polling has only just been posted.

Thanks @Dad3353 but rules is rules. I am a dangerous maverick who chooses not to play by them. (OK, an old git who didn't read the rules properly.) I'm not really too bothered about being in the voting as the entries I've heard are very good. I just wanted to show to myself that I could actually write a piece of music, however dubious.

21 minutes ago, Baceface said:

Thanks @Dad3353 but rules is rules. I am a dangerous maverick who chooses not to play by them. (OK, an old git who didn't read the rules properly.) I'm not really too bothered about being in the voting as the entries I've heard are very good. I just wanted to show to myself that I could actually write a piece of music, however dubious.

Now look here, my Good Man. If Skol sees fit to add you to the poll, you'll get votes, whether it pleases you or not..! -_- And if you want lessons in 'maverick', you've come to the right place. (Ain't that right, Lenny..?).

Of course, if you happen to win, or even get more votes than my entry, that'll be a different ball game, and I'll call 'Foul..!' quickly enough..! :laugh1:

T'any rate, @Skol303 is probably asleep by now, so... 9_9

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1