Why become a member? ×

August Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Its time to start the process for August and for your inspiration we have this poster and intro from last months winner  @xgsjx 

"I got this poster about 6 years ago & since then, I’ve seen it In the background everywhere, from films to Cafes. 

I think it could provide a good variety of inspiration, depending on how you look at it. 

Cheers "

AD8A5F0F-C097-467A-AF48-8B6315175EFB.jpeg

rules then I suppose .......

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and written/recorded this month.

No illegal samples or other funny business.

No bagpipes. Ever.

The Fat lady will do her bit around midnight on the 24th 

have a good one 

• Thanks 1

Well , I had a lovely conversation with a neighbour today , and , knock me down with a feather , she is a singer. After a few vocal lubrications it would appear that she is very competent at “nessun dorma” and “barbie girl” 

so, I’m off to write a cheesy pop schmaltz-aria .....in french 

dont hold your your breath mind  

Edited by lurksalot
  • Haha 1

Righto, time to brush up on Charles Aznavour then.  Not sure where we're going with this.

Edit:  The poster has the feeling of the glory days of the Paris cabaret, so I think the inspiration may be the time I got stuck in a very small lift in my hotel which was  halfway between Gare St Lazarre and The Moulin Rouge.  

Edited by Nicko

Ha... the challenge here is to make my freshly minted song a valid entry.

So the poster is advertising a Shadow Play, but ripping off Rory Gallagher woudl be cheating. However, in this warped tale an unexpected incident casts a dark shadow over the village green...

Actualy as the poster is promoting 'composers' any piece composed by anyone is probably eligible if it meets the dates... 😆

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

Here is my contribution to the August 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Xgsjx..!
What's going on in the mind of a cat..? Dunno, so here's my rendition of their thought processes, with all their mystery.
Three Philharmonik clarinets, s'all, with no effects nor 'spit'n'polish. Plain'n'simple. Disclaimer : this piece does not have any semblance of a Disco beat, and is declared totally unsuitable as Electronic Dance Music. You have been warned.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 1

I think I've got mine's done.  Though I might go back to it at some point (another that I'd like to put some lyrics on).

I've tried to get that French JM Jarre vibe & give it a sense of mystery (like the black cat).  Anyway, it's electronica, but not sure you could dance to it...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

"Oops, we couldn’t find that track. "

I know.  🙂

I removed the original track & uploaded the new version with the same name, which causes the embedded link to go funny for a few hours.  It should be okay tomorrow, but there's a link straight to Soundcloud if you want a listen - https://soundcloud.com/gxmix/this-was-how-it-felt

• Like 1

I'd had a vague thought but may get nowt together - got 2 "live streaming" gigs one of which we've recorded live but I'm currently editing and mixing, so may have no time wot with one more to "live stream" (!)... If not the vague thought may become one of our songs, it's 150bpm, in D, A and E phrygian (mostly) with break in 6:8 (as all punkfunk songs should).

• Like 1

OK here is my entry. As promised it's inspired by the time I was stuck in a lift just off Boulevard Clichy.  Not my usual style, and it was quite a challenge to get the reasonably happy sound at the start and the darkness in the middle - if my theory is correct it starts in A flat major and modulates to C Phrygian.

All recorded in Ableton Live Lite.  All the instruments are Xpand2 multitimbral synth, except the choral voicing which is an Ableton standard instrument.  There are better voice options in Xpand, but I ran out of slots.  If you don't have the VST check it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I'd had a vague thought but may get nowt together - got 2 "live streaming" gigs one of which we've recorded live but I'm currently editing and mixing, so may have no time wot with one more to "live stream" (!)... If not the vague thought may become one of our songs, it's 150bpm, in D, A and E phrygian (mostly) with break in 6:8 (as all punkfunk songs should).

When can we see the streamed gigs Msr Smalls ? 

11 hours ago, lurksalot said:

When can we see the streamed gigs

First one's this Saturday - we're on at 1545:

https://www.facebook.com/events/3021817487944315/

We're going to re-record it s'afternoon, and it's possible the rest of the band may want to do my new song; I've done a backing track, worked out guitar lines and written lyrics (which will probably be heavily tweaked).

So is it cheating to use that recording for this month's compo compo? 

ChokedPunk4.jpg

Edited by Leonard Smalls

12 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

First one's this Saturday - we're on at 1545:

https://www.facebook.com/events/3021817487944315/

We're going to re-record it s'afternoon, and it's possible the rest of the band may want to do my new song; I've done a backing track, worked out guitar lines and written lyrics (which will probably be heavily tweaked).

So is it cheating to use that recording for this month's compo compo? 

ChokedPunk4.jpg

Not if it’s all done this month dude :D

i could be tied up with the grandson,  but I’ll set an alarm 👍

• Like 1