Why become a member? ×

Wise words from a truly great human being and a truly amazing bass player!

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I might be wrong, but I'm sure he was involved in some sort of situation a little while ago where he bad-mouthed Europe a little bit in a video rant on a tour bus.

Did I imagine it?

Ah, no - I didn't imagine it. The video has been deleted, though.

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

We have different acquaintances, it would seem, but, no matter. The video is worth the time spent playing it, that's the important bit. Our World Views are of less interest. B|

Or one of use look father out than merely our acquaintances when we judge the general state of the world, and have human interactions that goes beyond the inner circles.  

21 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I've watched VW's 'workshop' DVDs. Preview He seems a great teacher, and a lovely bloke.

Great as in 'That was a great cheeseburger', rather than great like a God or something.

I did say a great human being, never said anything about him being a god.

As far as bass playing goes though he is unquestionable one of the most talented, if not the most talented bass player currently in existence. 

Also we seem to disagree about education being considerably more important and valuable than fast food, but guess you really must love cheeseburgers, or just hate schooling and would rather see it completely removed than improved.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I did say a great human being, never said anything about him being a god.

As far as bass playing goes is unquestionable one of the most talented, if not the most talented bass player currently in existence. 

He's certainly one of the best at what he does.

3 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Or one of use look father out than merely our acquaintances when we judge the general state of the world, and have human interactions that goes beyond the inner circles.  

Or not, as the case may be. But I digress; give the video a spin, maybe whilst reading through the rest of these posts; far more educational... B|

25 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Also seems to me that I wasn't wrong calling out people apparently, for some strange reason, feeling an incredible urge to ridicule this topic.

I truly don't get it, but suppose that will be another fact for people to have a laugh over at my expense.

You’re not exactly making it easy for me not to.

29 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

...Also we seem to disagree about education being considerably more important and valuable than fast food, but guess you really must love cheeseburgers, or just hate schooling and would rather see it completely removed than improved.

I've quoted this, not for its intrinsic philosophical qualities, but as an illustration for the question I'm asking myself. I assume that English is not your First Language; am I correct..? May I respectfully suggest that, at least on this Forum, you take the posts just that little bit less 'literally'..? I'm not certain that the light-hearted, casual nature of much of the posts here are striking the true resonance intended by their Poster. Your 'guesses' are coming across in a more antipathetic manner than perhaps they were intended by you. It's a pity, as the Original Subject will be overshadowed by this (perceived...) attitude. Am I wrong..? :/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

I might be wrong, but I'm sure he was involved in some sort of situation a little while ago where he bad-mouthed Europe a little bit in a video rant on a tour bus.

Did I imagine it?

Am not aware of that, and can only speak for the impression I got from what I saw of him.

Can't really pass any kind of judgement based simply on what you say, but I doubt that video would have changed my look at him as a great human being anyway.

In my book being a great human being doesn't mean that you never make mistakes or is flawless, but that you learn from you mistakes and do an effort for contributing positively to this world.

Even the best of persons can be jerks sometimes, but unlike people who turn it into a lifestyle they are usually not very proud of those moments, which is probably also why the video in question was taken down. 

40 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I've quoted this, not for its intrinsic philosophical qualities, but as an illustration for the question I'm asking myself. I assume that English is not your First Language; am I correct..? May I respectfully suggest that, at least on this Forum, you take the posts just that little bit less 'literally'..? I'm not certain that the light-hearted, casual nature of much of the posts here are striking the true resonance intended by their Poster. Your 'guesses' are coming across in a more antipathetic manner than perhaps they were intended by you. It's a pity, as the Original Subject will be overshadowed by this (perceived...) attitude. Am I wrong..? :/

Seems to be the case, since you seems to have missed the humorous aspect of the conclusion you quote me for there.

Then again some people do have a strange sense of humor and would swear they just beat you up for the sake of having a laugh.

But maybe that is a special charming quirk about British humor, that I just don't get, being from Denmark.   

You sure do have a humorous sense though when it comes to choice of prime minister.

A shame that will have consequences for you.

Who could possibly blame anyone for doing something in the name of having a laugh. 

30 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Seems to be the case, since you seems to have missed the humorous aspect of my conclusion there.

I think we all missed it.

Have an ice cream, smoke some weed, but mellow the hell out.  Its a short life

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

I think we all missed it.

Have an ice cream, smoke some weed, but mellow the hell out.  Its a short life

2 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Wise words from another great man:

Guess I will have to accept that (referring to the content of the post linked to in the second quote), if this is really the typical culture of this community, though that was just not the expression I have gotten so far, even if I have generally enjoyed the more lighthearted attitude there have seemed to be here compared to the TalkBass forum.

Still I think it's a shame and a bit of a mockery that the majority, bar a few more serious responses, apparently saw this topic as just the perfect opportunity to turn this thread into an open stand up comedy stage, when it was intended as a serious one, that I had hoped would spur debate about some of Victor's points in that video, as well as I also sort of expected a few comments stating opinions, be it negative or positive, about him as a person as a bass players.

I guess then some saw my objection to change the topic into a stand up comedy show as a legit reason to go full on with the stand up comedy concept.

I suppose I should have realized me trying to prevent that happening would provoke some people to go all in with it, but alas, here we are.

I genuinely really don't know how to take this, I think it's a big mess, I think it's a shame, and I am honestly a bit disappointed. 

Not really angry or holding any grudges, just disappointed. 

I'm not saying I did, but Victor Wooten and that interview really deserved better as far as I am concerned.  

Seems a bit childish (in the worst possible sense of the word) to me honestly, which on the other hand also makes me feel like an old grumpy bitter man ruining the kids trying to have fun, shushing angrily at them, insisting on them to not break into the adults conversation, even if I bet some of you are older than me. 

And believe me I am not usually all that uptight or in any way have a no fun allowed agenda, just genuinely think this wasn't the right thread for going all in with that sort of thing, despite the somewhat silly video thumbnail headline. 

18 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Guess I will have to accept that, if this is really the typical culture of this community, though that was just not the expression I have gotten so far, even if I have generally enjoyed the more lighthearted attitude there have seemed to be here over the TalkBass forum.

Still I think it's a shame and a bit of a mockery that the majority, bar a few more serious responses, apparently saw this topic as just the perfect opportunity to turn this thread into an open stand up comedy stage, when it was intended as a serious one, that I had hoped would spur debate about some of Victor's points in that video, as well as I also sort of expected a few comments stating opinions, be it negative or positive, about him as a person as a bass players.

I guess then some saw my objection to change the topic into a stand up comedy show as a legit reason to go full on with the stand up comedy concept.

I suppose I should have realized me trying to prevent that happening would provoke some people to go all in with it, but alas, here we are.

I genuinely really don't know how to take this, I think it's a big mess, I think it's a shame, and I am honestly a bit disappointed. 

Not really angry or holding and grudges, just disappointed. 

I'm not saying I did, but Victor Wooten and that interview really deserved better as far as I am concerned.  

Seems a bit childish (in the worst possible sense of the word) to me honestly, which on the other hand also makes me feel like an old grumpy bitter man ruining the kids trying to have fun, shushing angrily on them, insisting on them to not break into the adults conversation, even if I bet some of you are older than me. 

And believe me I am not usually all that uptight or in any way have a no fun allowed agenda, just genuinely think this wasn't the right thread for going all in with that sort of thing, despite the somewhat silly video thumbnail headline. 

Honestly, you’re overreacting. The people who want to watch the video and comment will do so. They won’t be put off by a few lighthearted comments.

It may be that you’re disappointed at the lack of reaction to the video itself, in which case... c’est la vie.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Guess I will have to accept ...

May I repeat... Respect, buddy; please don't take any of this as a personal slight either towards yourself or the video (which has worthy content, and is worth one's time, in my humble view...). Some of what was discussed would be best appreciated over a period of reflection, rather than any immediate 'knee-jerk' reaction, as there's food for thought in there. Your first post here was a mere ten hours ago; give those of us in less frvolous mood time to digest and respond in some more meaningful way. Meanwhile, let the Court Jesters (I'm one, I'll avow...) do as is always done on this Forum: take it where it will go. Some topics here have brought about several pages of 'fish' puns; so far, this has not happened here (but is not to be thought possible to exclude...), yet the fundamentals of the Topic remain (eventually...). Patience, Grasshopper; all will come right in the end, you'll see..! B|

(And 'Yes, I agree with much of his (VW's...) stance on 'natural' learning, as it echoes much of my own experience. There are others, maybe, who could shed other, contrasting, lights on the subject'...)

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I genuinely really don't know how to take this

:) Shrug it off, would be my advice. The minute you hit the post button the topic's out there and belongs to everybody.

Permit me to expand.

When one starts a topic on an internet forum it's like making love to a beautiful woman who gets pregnant, gives birth, the child grows up and leaves home. You can't wrap it in cotton wool and you shouldn't have any preconceived expectations; all you can do is hope that the topic will be happy and will build a life for itself on its own terms.

Tip: If you want to share a vid on BC just stick up a link, say you found it interesting then walk away. Sometimes people engage, sometimes they don't. That's just how it is :)

• Like 3

If you liked that video you’d like his book - The Music Lesson. 

Great read, partly bass related but majors on music itself, and inner peace , sort of. Can’t really do it justice here but it’s worth checking. 

edit ; saying that as someone who has zero interest in listening to VW’s music 

Edited by Drax
  • Like 1