Why become a member? ×

Wise words from a truly great human being and a truly amazing bass player!

It was actually G in this context, but yeah as I mentioned it was not really the catchy sensational headline of the video thumbnail I intended this thread to be about, and though he actually does say exact what's put in that headline in the video, it is kind of completely taken out of a context where it actually makes sense and isn't actually some new dogme he claims everyone ought to stick to, his point just basically being that for filling the role of a bass player in a band rhythm and grove is far more important than notes, as in that should be where the focus it and one of the first things to learn. 

I know it is a long interview, an interview which is actually nice and respectful, and which I think the very young female interviewer actually handles extremely well, so can we please stop discussing the video thumbnail sensational misleading click bait headline that Thomann decided to go with for this video, which I think most would agree comes off as rather silly, and focus on the actual content, which in my opinion is actually great and respectful?

It really ought to be obvious that this thread is meant for discussing the actual video interview and not whatever silly title some a bit too smart PR person at Thomann decided to stick on it, if it was I would have just left the tittle, and there would have been no point in me linking to the video.

So yes, as I already insinuated in the OP I do think that video thumbnail headline is rather silly too, but can we please not have this whole thread be about that, and instead be about the actual video and the interview that it contains.

I bet neither of you would like to have a whole thread you posted with a topic you found valid and saw as potentially being the starting point for an interesting debate turn out to exclusively be about ridiculing your silly username or some such of similar essentially totally irrelevant detail, that had very little to do with the actual content you had posted.   

I do understand why you would judge the video on that thumbnail headline, but believe me it is actually a good interview, and I don't think it's fair to judge the actual content on a silly label decision likely taken by some PR guy at Thomann that actually otherwise had nothing to do with the actual video.

All you do is really trolling and derailing as far as I see it. 

It would be like going to an amazing concert with some band you loved, but then having the fact that the lead singer was wearing 2 different socks get all your attention.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Confused 1

Oh dear. Trolling and derailling? Sadly while you were losing the plot and getting cross because of a couple of lighthearted comments I was watching and loving the interview. 

Not everyone will get what you want them to out of life. You might learn a lot by listening to what he says in the interview. 

• Like 2

VW's right. Rhythm, groove and locking with the drummer are the first priority for a good bass player. I'd say, then comes good tone and only then the bass lines.

You can play a great line, but it's not great if you are out of time or sound terrible.

25 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Trolling and derailing? Am I missing something?

(FWIW, I tried to watch the clip but there's something about Vic I can't connect with. Sorry.)

That's at least is a fair opinion to have, and even something that would be valid to post, even if you didn't bother to watch the video.

At least it is still somewhat on topic. 

Just making fun of the video thumbnail, which with in all likelihood neither Victor Wooten or the interviewer had any say in, and which has nothing to do with the actual content, without even bothering watching the actual video interview  isn't exactly really anything that can create any constructive debate whatsoever. 

That's just filling the thread up with poop, at least as far as I am concerned.

It would very much be the same as a thread filled up with snarky remarks about some spelling error I made in my OP, but no one actually bothering reading it through and replying to it.

1 post like that I guess would be fine and nothing to worry about, but 3 posts from 3 different users in a row as the top replies, evolving around the same lame joke, it's beginning to look like a pattern and a tendency, to me at least.

Do I have bad breath or something, anyone?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

That's at least is a fair opinion to have, and even something that would be valid to post, even if you didn't bother to watch the video.

At least it is still somewhat on topic. 

Just making fun of the video thumbnail, which with in all likelihood neither Victor Wooten or the interviewer had any say in, and which has nothing to do with the actual content, without even bothering watching the actual video interview  isn't exactly really anything that can create any constructive debate whatsoever. 

That's just filling the thread up with poop, at least as far as I am concerned.

It would very much be the same as a thread filled up with snarky remarks about some spelling error I made in my OP, but no one actually bothering reading it through and replying to it.

1 post like that I guess would be fine and nothing to worry about, but 3 posts from 3 different users in a row as the top replies, evolving around the same lame joke, it's beginning to look like a pattern and a tendency, to me at least.

Do I have bad breath or something, anyone?

....but you are starting to sound like the definition of your username. Chill out man.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

A Good Chat, worth watching (and listening to...), certainly, but disappointed that, the way the video is shot, we can't see his socks. Are they mis-matched..? We should be told. B|

:lol: :P

I never watch videos, I just can't concentrate on them.

I always wear mismatched socks, in fact it made my day recently when I discovered you can buy pairs of socks that are mismatched (so not really a pair, more just two socks packaged together).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I never watch videos, I just can't concentrate on them.

I always wear mismatched socks, in fact it made my day recently when I discovered you can buy pairs of socks that are mismatched (so not really a pair, more just two socks packaged together).

In fact, there' nothing, really, to watch, here. I'm listening to it as I type this (it's nearly an hour long, which, at my age, I can't spare :$ ...), so it's playing as I get through my Mod stuff on the Forum. No need to watch, then, but still worth a listen. I'd be a little less generous than the OP ('truly great human being'..? Come on; that's everyone on the planet, not just this bloke :lol: ..!), but it's definitely interesting, and has a few gems of wisdom just the same. A great little moment when, in the context of what he's relating, he says '... for a while I went black ...'..! I nearly laughed out loud. :lol:
I wouldn't pay extra for disparate socks; mine get that way naturally over time. :|

Edited by Dad3353

17 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I wouldn't pay extra for disparate socks; mine get that way naturally over time. :|

I don't pay any extra, they are the same price as regular matched ones. There was a guitarist I was playing with a year or two ago, I took my shoes off at a rehearsal and he freaked out completely at my non-matching socks. Strange, some people.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

On a related topic  from Wednesday evening, I noticed at my first distanced rehearsal that our banjo player was wearing 'Thursday Socks' with impunity.....

I’d be more concerned with the banjo.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

In fact, there' nothing, really, to watch, here. I'm listening to it as I type this (it's nearly an hour long, which, at my age, I can't spare :$ ...), so it's playing as I get through my Mod stuff on the Forum. No need to watch, then, but still worth a listen. I'd be a little less generous than the OP ('truly great human being'..? Come on; that's everyone on the planet, not just this bloke :lol: ..!), but it's definitely interesting, and has a few gems of wisdom just the same. A great little moment when, in the context of what he's relating, he says '... for a while I went black ...'..! I nearly laughed out loud. :lol:

Well, he always appear to me as a really polite but at the same time genuine warm and friendly down to earth insightful human being, who seems to try do his share to make the world a bit better place to live in.

That is more what you can say about most other people.

Sad, but unfortunately also true.

In my book that qualifies him for being called a truly great human being, in contrary to the majority, in my book.

Now of course I don't know him personally, but it would surprise me much if he wasn't pretty much as great as guy as he always comes through as to me in just about every interview or speech I've seen/heard with him.

Also seems to me that I wasn't wrong calling out people apparently, for some strange reason, feeling an incredible urge to ridicule this topic.

I truly don't get it, but suppose that will be another fact for people to have a laugh over at my expense.