Why become a member? ×

Mexican Precision: Upgrade with EMG GZR and Roto flats?

markyted

Ahoy! Now then. Thinking about the above upgrade to a 2018 Player Series Precision. (Like on my icon pic). Have the parts, including a black scratchplate in my shopping basket at Thomann, just waiting to pull the trigger. I would like a beefed-up vintage tone, with the option of growl when required. Had a VM Jazz with rounds on, it was a right clang-fest, hence the change to a P Bass. I have done the usual zillion hours research but would still be very interested to hear from anyone who has done/is thinking of/has an opinion.

In summary: Fitting an EMG Geezer Butler passive PB set into a MIM Precision, with Roto Jazz 77 strings. 

Many thanks for your time, Mark.

Hi Mark, I'd initially say yes to both, however, try just changing the strings first. It'll probably get you 90% of the way there and it'll be much cheaper. The player series basses with those Yosemite pickups are really good. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, the Player pickups are a good improvement on previous MIM pickups. I fully expected to have to swap mine out to make it nearer in sound to my US Precision with CS62s, but found I didn’t need to, all I had to do was lower the hi-mids a tad and it was near enough for gig purposes.

• Thanks 1

On 31/07/2020 at 14:11, Jonse said:

Hi Mark, I'd initially say yes to both, however, try just changing the strings first. It'll probably get you 90% of the way there and it'll be much cheaper. The player series basses with those Yosemite pickups are really good. 

I agree. The GZR is a perfectly good pickup and the super easy install is a bonus, but it certainly didn't blow me away when I tried it. I wouldn't consider it a necessary upgrade to a p-bass which already has a pretty decent pickup in it.