Why become a member? ×

D’Addario Chromes - grabby and hard to play

bloke_zero

This isn't a Bass Guitar question, should have been posted in Accessories & Misc. But yes, chromes have a coating on the strings which are kinda sticky/grabby, it wears off in a couple weeks if played regularly, then the strings are silky smooth. The coating is there to keep the strings fresh for as long as possible.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Accessories & Misc

Sorry - I was a bit in doubt as to where to put it - duly noted.

36 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

But yes, chromes have a coating on the strings which are kinda sticky/grabby, it wears off in a couple weeks if played regularly, then the strings are silky smooth. The coating is there to keep the strings fresh for as long as possible.

Thanks - I was worried I just wasn't going to get on with them.

Played chromes for years and experienced the same for a few weeks. You can get some GHS fast fret and rub it over the strings every now and again or do it the vintage way - rub your finger tips in the creases on your face and get the oils on your fingers. Kind of disgusting, but the funk is in the gunk. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

This isn't a Bass Guitar question, should have been posted in Accessories & Misc. But yes, chromes have a coating on the strings which are kinda sticky/grabby, it wears off in a couple weeks if played regularly, then the strings are silky smooth. The coating is there to keep the strings fresh for as long as possible.

Really? I reckon it’s a fair place to post it. Ultimately it matters little. Chromes are wonderful strings and once you’ve broken them in the mellow out really well.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Never really got the grabbyness, but always found them a bit unforgiving, so I never really got on with them.

I’ve had a couple of goes with them, and if I was after flats again I’d look at the Elites Detroit (had a set for about a week).

I absolutely adored the Thomastik Infelds I had on my Nate Mendel. Took a while to get used to how compliant they were (like rubber bands) but they were ace. At £50+ a set...they should be too 🤣

Edited by AndyTravis

I love Chromes. They are pretty bright for a flat, and D’Addario has me sold generally on their strings, especially as they supply detailed information on tension. 

After a while, they stop being grabby, and they just feel and sound great. Thumpy and warm, but with brightness at the attack. Probably much brighter than most other flats I have experimented with. 

I had a few goes around with the Thomastik flats, but every time I sold them or moved them on. I just could not get used to them. Great quality string though. 

Edited by funkle
  • Like 1

The "grabbiness" will get better IME but these are strings with quite high tension especially if you come from roundwounds.

I actually love them when playing with a pick: the smoothness of the string removes the clikity clak from pick playing with roundwounds while keeping a punch of the attack. Besides I find the tension a bit much when playing with fingers but just right for pick playing.

10 minutes ago, gregouille23 said:

I actually love them when playing with a pick: the smoothness of the string removes the clikity clak from pick playing with roundwounds while keeping a punch of the attack. Besides I find the tension a bit much when playing with fingers but just right for pick playing.

Think that is probably why I didn't like them then, they were unpleasant for finger playing which is what I do mostly.

I had some nylon flats and they work well on a 4 but not a 5.

Thanks for the replys - I like them because they are a bit brighter than the la bella's

The extra tension doesn't seem to hurt my playing, but that might be becasue I'm coming from their nickle wound wound XL's 160 and the tension is only 20 lb's less.

I put some fast fret on and that seemed to help a bit, they are definitely getting smoother as I play them and they have a lovely strong tone.

• Like 1