Why become a member? ×

Covid amp GAS.....

TRBboy

In finding that not gigging is causing me all sorts of stupid thoughts. 

I got my new fender rumble rig late last year (500 combo and 1x15 cab), and I was really happy with it, it was fantastic. 

But since we haven't been gigging, and I haven't been using it every week, I keep convincing myself that I need different amp...... I've been through various ideas, the latest of which is that I need to sell it and get a Markbass head and std104hf cab (4 ohm). I had a markbass rig two rigs ago, and it was great. Not entirely sure why I sold it.... 

Anyway, I keep trawling through amps and agonising over what to do, even though it doesn't look like we'll be gigging until next year sometime. 

Is anyone else suffering this sort of frustrating insanity?! 

I don't know what I'm asking anymore, think this is just a cry for help! 😂😔🤪

... But if anyone can comment on their experiences with the markbass STD 104HF that would be great! 

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TRBboy said:

In finding that not gigging is causing me all sorts of stupid thoughts. 

I got my new fender rumble rig late last year (500 combo and 1x15 cab), and I was really happy with it, it was fantastic. 

But since we haven't been gigging, and I haven't been using it every week, I keep convincing myself that I need different amp...... I've been through various ideas, the latest of which is that I need to sell it and get a Markbass head and std104hf cab (4 ohm). I had a markbass rig two rigs ago, and it was great. Not entirely sure why I sold it.... 

Anyway, I keep trawling through amps and agonising over what to do, even though it doesn't look like we'll be gigging until next year sometime. 

Is anyone else suffering this sort of frustrating insanity?! 

I don't know what I'm asking anymore, think this is just a cry for help! 😂😔🤪

... But if anyone can comment on their experiences with the markbass STD 104HF that would be great! 

Don’t do it - if you do I may personally come and find you and slap you silly with a wet fish

• Haha 1

If you do buy something, you still won’t be using it and will spend all the time up until you do use it wondering if you’ve done the right thing (probably only to find you’re missing the Fender too). You need to wait until you’re playing again before you make rig decisions. You don’t have GAS as such, you’re just bored. If you must, buy a pedal of some description, perhaps an amp simulator.

EDIT: I apologise for what seems to be an eminently sensible post. I know this flies in the face of the BC GAS credo. ☺️

Edited by ezbass
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

If you do buy something, you still won’t be using it and will spend all the time up until you do use it wondering if you’ve done the right thing (probably only to find you’re missing the Fender too). You need to wait until you’re playing again before you make rig decisions. You don’t have GAS as such, you’re just bored. If you must, buy a pedal of some description, perhaps an amp simulator.

EDIT: I apologise for what seems to be an eminently sensible post. I know this flies in the face of the BC GAS credo. ☺️

Wet fish for you as well then

• Haha 2

Thanks guys, very helpful! 😂

You're absolutely right though, no point even thinking about it until we're back to gigging, whenever that might be..... 

It's just.... I have seen a nice markbass rig on ebay.....  Must. Resist.. 

4 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Thanks guys, very helpful! 😂

You're absolutely right though, no point even thinking about it until we're back to gigging, whenever that might be..... 

It's just.... I have seen a nice markbass rig on ebay.....  Must. Resist.. 

The Devil’s place.

My current status is to set not just a maximum spend limit but a stupid price on items of interest, so ludicrous 99.9% of people would never sell at that price.

If you then find they do - you can not argue against a bargain

• Like 1

I can't help.

I think my band will be one of the last to get back together - we've got 25 members with mostly wind instruments. At home I've got a Helix and some studio monitors and a pair of BF One10 cabs.

More than enough for the house for the next year. Or 10.

So naturally I've ordered a BF Super Twin during lockdown.

Just give in to the urges. They are natural. And Good.

Get yourself a MB Marcus Miller head while you are at it. Far better EQ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

He makes a good point - can you get the Stu amp please - I’d like to know about it

I think the Stu with the 2x15 looks killer! 

What I've seen though is a LM tube 500 with a 4 ohm STD104 HF.... Seems like a decent rig. 

I used to have the CMD102p with a Traveller 151p, great rig and never should have sold it tbh! GAS prevailed in that instance too....... 

• Like 1

It's not just you mate. I've found myself looking at basses again recently that I really don't need, can't afford, and if I'm honest, don't even want. 

No prospects of playing live any time soon, even without the Covid restrictions. We're a new band doing all original stuff and still very much in the writing / rehearsing stage. 

That being said, I still keep trying to convince myself that I need a P bass for recording. I don't even like P basses!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

It's not just you mate. I've found myself looking at basses again recently that I really don't need, can't afford, and if I'm honest, don't even want. 

No prospects of playing live any time soon, even without the Covid restrictions. We're a new band doing all original stuff and still very much in the writing / rehearsing stage. 

That being said, I still keep trying to convince myself that I need a P bass for recording. I don't even like P basses!

Errr yes me too,

Eeer I've gone & bought 3 new Dingwalls since March.

Eeer but I did trade one in for a different model,for absolutely no real reason really.

So that's ok them

GAS what GAS 

🤪

• Haha 3

I've bought a new MarkBass head and 8 pedals since lockdown started.  I had too much time on my hands to look at various websites selling gear.  No regrets though, I like Gas.

And now the rehearsal studios around North London are starting to open and I have a weekly session with a drummer so there are songs to practise and less time to peruse Andertons 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

I keep looking at amps particularly , even though I have nowhere to play them. I think its boredom.  Some of my guitarist buddies are looking at amps and I spend time on their behalf looking for bargains for them.  😥

Edited by Quilly

1 hour ago, bassace said:

Looking at the amp ads, sales seem to be quite slow right now, and hardly surprising. I’d really like to try going valve but with no gigs in prospect and little opportunity to sell some of my stuff that’ll have to be a dream for now.

I bought an Ashdown little bastard 30w around a month ago. Delighted with it for home use.I see them pop up here and there for reasonable money 

54 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I bought an Ashdown little bastard 30w around a month ago. Delighted with it for home use.I see them pop up here and there for reasonable money 

Thanks for the heads up, Quilly, but I don’t do home. It’s got to be a gig.