Why become a member? ×

Basschat Relay - Tamworth to the south west

stewblack

Anyone able to help out? 

EDIT 4:

Looks like the bass should land in Tamworth sometime next week. So if anyone is heading down the M5 and can get us somewhere farther down the map that would be great. 

EDIT 3:

Can anyone get the bass from Derby to Tamworth? 

EDIT 2:

@Len_derby is taking over in the Derby area on Sunday 9th. Is anyone passing that way next week? Maybe heading down and/or across? 

EDIT 1:

@DaytonaRik has offered to pick up

in Sheffield and take the bass towards Nottingham/East Midlands. Can anyone manage the next leg? Ultimately need it easing south and west ish. 

We have a bass in the Sheffield area and it desperately wants to sample the ambience of the south west. 

Just to add spice to the proposition it could travel towards Norfolk tomorrow. 

If you think you might be able to help with its journey in any way please let me know. 

I don't have precise coordinates yet but once we know who (if anyone) could join some of the dots we can work on a more detailed plan. 

Thanks in anticipation. 

Stew 

ps. This is a new request not to be confused with the last time I asked for similar assistance. 

Edited by stewblack

I'm not likely to be travelling West any time soon in afraid but I am in Norfolk (near Fakenham) if you wanted to get it dropped off to me and its not too late to arrange. I can happily hold onto it until somebody else is ready to pick it up for the next leg of its journey. Not sure if that would actually help much but at least once it's here you'd have more time to plan the next stage? Let me know and I can give you the address. 

Screenshot_20200731_065336.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Painy said:

I'm not likely to be travelling West any time soon in afraid but I am in Norfolk (near Fakenham) if you wanted to get it dropped off to me and its not too late to arrange. I can happily hold onto it until somebody else is ready to pick it up for the next leg of its journey. Not sure if that would actually help much but at least once it's here you'd have more time to plan the next stage? Let me know and I can give you the address. 

Screenshot_20200731_065336.jpg

Thank you! I have messaged to see if it has left. 

• Like 1

On 30/07/2020 at 21:03, stewblack said:

Anyone able to help out? 

We have a bass in the Sheffield area and it desperately wants to sample the ambience of the south west. 

Just to add spice to the proposition it could travel towards Norfolk tomorrow. 

If you think you might be able to help with its journey in any way please let me know. 

I don't have precise coordinates yet but once we know who (if anyone) could join some of the dots we can work on a more detailed plan. 

Thanks in anticipation. 

Stew 

ps. This is a new request not to be confused with the last time I asked for similar assistance. 

You always make me smile with these requests Stew! I mean, there are couriers but where's the fun in that? Basschat hitchhiking! Great for the community spirit. Good on ya 👍

(sorry I can't help out this time)

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

@stewblack, I have to ask... why are you not just using a courier? The risk and time of passing it from person to person, uninsured, is very likely statistically higher than paying £20 or so for an insured courier? 

Sorry, but I just don't get this at all! 

My preference is to drive and meet up, all my BC deals were done this way once upon a time. Unfortunately I can't do this any more. 

This is just a fun way to avoid the risk and cost of couriers. Also some sellers won't use them (collection only) so before I buy I see if someone can collect for me.

I'm not the only one who does it, unfortunately since most of us stopped gigging it's less viable than once it was. 

17 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Just seems like a whole lot more risk to get X amount of people to pass a bass down the line! At least with an insured courier your covered!

As I have said there are many reasons and risk hasn't been mentioned. However...

I have an acquaintance plays guitar for a living. He has been pulling 60 hours a week at a Hermes depot during the pandemic. 

Was reprimanded on day 1 for taking too much care of a parcel. Literally told to throw it, there was enough time to walk and place it carefully. 

He has horror stories a plenty and has vowed he will never, under any circumstances, ever post an instrument again. 

In his opinion every bass you receive undamaged is like winning at Russian roulette. 

Now, I have only ever received one package with the contents utterly destroyed so your stats may be quite right. 

28 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Just seems like a whole lot more risk to get X amount of people to pass a bass down the line! At least with an insured courier your covered!

Have you ever managed to successfully claim on a courier's insurance? I have tried (once) and their contracts have get-out clauses to cover everything imaginable and quite a few that aren't.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Sad 1

I've had two major breakages and one 'lost item' in the 10 or so years of buying and selling probably 1000+ guitars/basses. On all occasions I've been able to get my claim settled (yes it is a pain and yes it takes time). Maybe I'm lucky... 

But so long as you get proper insurance and you read the Terms and Conditions of said insurance and make sure you're inside of them, I can't see a courier not eventually paying out. I have had to resort to emailing the CEO of Parcel Force when they managed to loose a Spector Euro 5, but again that was sorted eventually.

If you make enough noise, and you have a decent leg to stand on, you'll be fine.

• Like 3

I am of the collect only view for more reasons than just care and insurance. I cannot help in this instance but how about asking each person in the chain to record a 30 second clip in a given key and tempo and then putting it together to form a short video? :D Something like Charles Berthould did below:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, binky_bass said:

I've had two major breakages and one 'lost item' in the 10 or so years of buying and selling probably 1000+ guitars/basses. On all occasions I've been able to get my claim settled (yes it is a pain and yes it takes time). Maybe I'm lucky... 

But so long as you get proper insurance and you read the Terms and Conditions of said insurance and make sure you're inside of them, I can't see a courier not eventually paying out. I have had to resort to emailing the CEO of Parcel Force when they managed to loose a Spector Euro 5, but again that was sorted eventually.

If you make enough noise, and you have a decent leg to stand on, you'll be fine.

I sold a bass off this site to a ParcelForce employee. He said don’t bother insuring it, they’ll only wriggle out of responsibility if anything goes wrong😈

True story!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

I think the real reason I like the Basschat Relay is because it appeals to my sense of whimsy. 

Stew

It's not whimsy , it's sensible 🙂 

I've done the collecting/sending of goodies in Scotland needed by folks in England and the favour has been returned 👍

Afraid I can't help with this but if you spot something up here give me a shout. That's an offer open to everyone. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I was in Nottingham today but not going back soon. If it could divert to Burton upon Trent by Tuesday I could take it to Barry.

I’m in North Wales until Saturday 8th but happy to help out from Notts/Derby southwards after that.

Edited by Len_derby
  • Thanks 1