Why become a member? ×

Yes Live. Wonderful. Lee Pomeroy on bass

police squad

21 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Indeed, Rabin's sound and style is rather more limited than Howe, but what he does do, in my humble opinion, he does some much better and tighter than Howe ever did.

But, as you say, it's a horses for courses thing.  As good as I was once I expect Howe is still better! 🤣

This. Once you get too metronomic like Rabin and other proto-shredders, you may as well sequence 64th notes. Howe played wonderful organic melodies. You see him play and he's absolutely all over the neck.

17 hours ago, visog said:

This. Once you get too metronomic like Rabin and other proto-shredders, you may as well sequence 64th notes. Howe played wonderful organic melodies. You see him play and he's absolutely all over the neck.

Given that Yes are arguably my favourite band - certainly one of two or three - my first thoughts on buying my first Yes album back in the day (Classic Yes) were something to the effect of:

1)”Ye Gods, The Bass!”

2) “Steve Howe’s timing is a bit ropey”. 

I got used to Steve, over time. But it makes no difference to me, I still love them. 

• Like 2

I had the immense good fortune to play Loreley the same year as ARW.

Lee's sound as mighty through the PA and resonating across the hill.

Seeing the ARW setup backstage before it was all wheeled on is something I won't forget in a hurry either.
Rick's keyboard setup, complete with its own stereo PA for monitoring, all on one massive riser.

I have very dodgy video of a walk from backstage to FOH (the bass destroys the sound through my phone).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mb6qRxUjAyQgiQBF7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only saw Yes (with Squire) twice, and to be honest both times I felt that Steve Howe was the weak link. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but his timing was fairly dreadful and he played a sackful of extremely bum notes. Mind you, I had trouble hearing him at the second of the gigs... 3 rows from the front at Chris Squire's side of the stage, all I could hear -- and feel -- was his backline. First time he hit the bass pedals, I swear I could feel my teeth loosening :lol:  

Lee Pomeroy, god he plays with everyone. He has the best job in the world. Well, him and @Dave Swift :D 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I only saw Yes (with Squire) twice, and to be honest both times I felt that Steve Howe was the weak link. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but his timing was fairly dreadful and he played a sackful of extremely bum notes. Mind you, I had trouble hearing him at the second of the gigs... 3 rows from the front at Chris Squire's side of the stage, all I could hear -- and feel -- was his backline. First time he hit the bass pedals, I swear I could feel my teeth loosening :lol:  

Lee Pomeroy, god he plays with everyone. He has the best job in the world. Well, him and @Dave Swift :D 

Dave Swift has to play with Jools. I’d sooner have root canal. 😂

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Steve Howe is a bit shakier these days. He seems to have lost the fire, both from his playing and his tone. That's not a recent development, mind you.

It's not pleasant hearing the opening to Siberian Khatru played as light jazz.

The first time I saw them was on the Ladder tour, with Billy Sherwood on 2nd guitar and Igor on keys. It was the same tour that the House Of Yes DVD was recorded. It was one of those never-to-be-forgotten gigs... 'Awaken' was simply perfect, and I still have some of the confetti. I'd prefer to keep the memory of that rather than see them now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

The first time I saw them was on the Ladder tour, with Billy Sherwood on 2nd guitar and Igor on keys. It was the same tour that the House Of Yes DVD was recorded. It was one of those never-to-be-forgotten gigs... 'Awaken' was simply perfect, and I still have some of the confetti. I'd prefer to keep the memory of that rather than see them now.

Have you heard the Todmobile version of Awaken with JA on vocals ?

It's a life affirming performance.

• Like 2

I’m really tempted to get the DVD now - I’m not sure if this was the gig I was at or one of the other nights but it was certainly a great night.

That said, watching the excerpt posted originally I kept being distracted by Rabin’s over-generous application of Just For Men.

It’s either that or a really bad syrup.

9 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

I’m really tempted to get the DVD now - I’m not sure if this was the gig I was at or one of the other nights but it was certainly a great night.

That said, watching the excerpt posted originally I kept being distracted by Rabin’s over-generous application of Just For Men.

It’s either that or a really bad syrup.

I thought that when I saw him.
He has unusually dark hair for a gentleman of his age... 

Then again, I have a large solar panel, so I'm in no position to comment on such matters.

6 minutes ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

This isn't the normal hair dye. This is weapons grade.

There was a maintainance guy where i used to work who used some kind of spray black paint on his head. He was fairly bald in the middle so that was sprayed too. From a distance it looked quite bad, close up it looked just like he had sprayed his head with a can of halfords black car spray paint.

It was hard concentrating when you were talking to him.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

There was a maintainance guy where i used to work who used some kind of spray black paint on his head. He was fairly bald in the middle so that was sprayed too. From a distance it looked quite bad, close up it looked just like he had sprayed his head with a can of halfords black car spray paint.

It was hard concentrating when you were talking to him.

I worked on a building site once where the guy from the power company, in rerouting some supplies,  wore a wig.

He was climbing a set of steps, went too far and cracked his head on the concrete floor slab above, requiring a visit to hospital. Blood everywhere

When he returned the following day, the head was fully bandaged, with the wig sitting proudly atop the crepe bandage.

• Haha 1

I havent seen Yes in the flesh since CS passed away. Having said that, when I watched some youtube footage of the current incarnation it didn't seem like Billy Sherwood was a particularly weak link per se, just that the whole band as a unit look a bit tired and laclustre now. In fact Sherwood was working hard to fill some very big shoes and generally doing a pretty good job. Wont be rushing to see them though, perhaps time for me to just remember the gigs I did see and play the old albums.

Edited by KevB

5 hours ago, KevB said:

I havent seen Yes in the flesh since CS passed away. Having said that, when I watched some youtube footage of the current incarnation it didn't seem like Billy Sherwood was a particularly weak link per se, just that the whole band as a unit look a bit tired and laclustre now. In fact Sherwood was working hard to fill some very big shoes and generally doing a pretty good job. Wont be rushing to see them though, perhaps time for me to just remember the gigs I did see and play the old albums.

I know Sherwood and Chris Squire were friends, and he was Chris' choice to succeed him in Yes. He does a decent job, but, in a like-for-like comparison, I think Lee does it better. Here's Sherwood tackling Heart Of The Sunrise:

I mean, I like his Spector, but it doesn't sound right. 

34 minutes ago, Russ said:

I know Sherwood and Chris Squire were friends, and he was Chris' choice to succeed him in Yes. He does a decent job, but, in a like-for-like comparison, I think Lee does it better. Here's Sherwood tackling Heart Of The Sunrise:

I mean, I like his Spector, but it doesn't sound right. 

I hate the way they play that. The bass riff is sitting on the wrong beat.

To be fair they've done it like this since Alan White joined, but it sounds so wrong to me. 

And Geoff Downes is a blundering oaf completely undeserving of the job.