Why become a member? ×

Yes Live. Wonderful. Lee Pomeroy on bass

police squad

6 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

He's an amazing player. ARW eclipse the current - and very tired - touring Yes, I reckon.

this is fab. My late brother was a massive yes fan and I occasionally dip in and listen to the albums but this is great. Jon's voice is first class here

I was lucky enough to see this lineup on the London date.  It's a pity it wasn't sustainable but the DVD is a wonderful recording, apart from the bewildering level of fake crowd noise plastered randomly over the top.

Lee Pomeroy - wonderful. I've never seen a bass player project so much joy when playing. 

As for the current 'official' Yes, well... a quick look at Geoff Downes attempting to play Wakeman and Moraz's parts tells you everything. 

• Like 1

On 30/07/2020 at 13:26, wateroftyne said:

He's an amazing player. ARW eclipse the current - and very tired - touring Yes, I reckon.

I am really impressed at Jons voice, its still very good at his age and at no point does it feel compromised as it often does with older singers. Personally i could have done without the extended bass thing but I am sure it was good when you were there. I was going to see them at one point before I saw the price of the tickets. Having said that the last couple of times I saw yes it was free so maybe I am just a cheapskate!

• Like 1

I met Lee back around 1990 when he worked in a music shop in Croydon. He was an amazing bass player even back then and inspired me a lot back when I was first starting out. 

I've followed his career with interest ever since, I love that he can balance playing with Yes (his dream gig, I remember him buying his lefty Chris Squire Ricky, one of only, I think, 12 that were ever made), playing with Take That, and doing his own prog metal band (Headspace - check 'em out). 

• Like 1

I bought the CD shortly after it came out and have just about managed to get past the silly crowd noise.  No idea why they could not have released a version without it, can't be that hard surely?

Less of a Trevor Rabin fan though.  I don't think he has Howe's subtlety of touch and I find the relentless overdriven guitar sound a bit monotonous tbh.  I appreciate that I am probably in a mnority though.

• Like 3

I can't remember if he was in Steve Hackett's band yet when I saw him on one of his early revisited Genesis tours. 

I definitely saw him very close up in a small venue with It Bites. Even though the general band vibe didn't look too healthy Mr Pomeroy smiled his way through the gig and was a consummate pro.

1 hour ago, KevB said:

I can't remember if he was in Steve Hackett's band yet when I saw him on one of his early revisited Genesis tours. 

I definitely saw him very close up in a small venue with It Bites. Even though the general band vibe didn't look too healthy Mr Pomeroy smiled his way through the gig and was a consummate pro.

I saw that first Genesis Revisited tour with LP on bass, he was excellent.  Didn't realise he had played with It Bites though.

On 30/07/2020 at 14:11, Cosmo Valdemar said:

As for the current 'official' Yes, well... a quick look at Geoff Downes attempting to play Wakeman and Moraz's parts tells you everything. 

Last time I saw them I thought they sounded like a tribute band. Steve Howe still has it but he’s carrying them now.

I saw ARW in London (must get the DVD) and thought they were superb - and I agree with the comments here, Mr Pomeroy was a joy to watch

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ead said:

I bought the CD shortly after it came out and have just about managed to get past the silly crowd noise.  No idea why they could not have released a version without it, can't be that hard surely?

Less of a Trevor Rabin fan though.  I don't think he has Howe's subtlety of touch and I find the relentless overdriven guitar sound a bit monotonous tbh.  I appreciate that I am probably in a mnority though.

I with you re Howe over Rabin, and the crowd noise come to that!

On 31/07/2020 at 01:32, acidbass said:

Agreed. Steve Howe etc are done. Rabin and Pomeroy are so much better.

I never rated Steve Howe.  As a guitarist myself I admired his classical skills, but to my ear his rock guitar work sounds sloppy and his timekeeping poor.  Rabin  is a real talent and a great songwriter and producer in his own right, and Pomeroy is a worthy successor to Squire - different, but worthy.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bassfinger said:

I never rated Steve Howe.  As a guitarist myself I admired his classical skills, but to my ear his rock guitar work sounds sloppy and his timekeeping poor.  Rabin  is a real talent and a great songwriter and producer in his own right, and Pomeroy is a worthy successor to Squire - different, but worthy.

Just goes to show - I feel the opposite about SH! I think his playing - rock or otherwise - is fantastic. His rockier work on Drama is tight and focussed. Now? Not so much. He’s pretty sloppy but that’s aging for ya.

Rabin’s great too...

4 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

We're all different I guess, Trevor Rabin always felt like a one trick pony in Yes, whereas to me Howe always brought something different, ok in the clips above Rabin emulates Howe pretty well, but give me Howe in his prime any day.

• Like 1

Indeed, Rabin's sound and style is rather more limited than Howe, but what he does do, in my humble opinion, he does some much better and tighter than Howe ever did.

But, as you say, it's a horses for courses thing.  As good as I was once I expect Howe is still better! 🤣

• Like 1