Why become a member? ×

This is a different way to do a single cut

Lfalex v1.1

I suppose it looks a little more traditional than the usual modern single cut style, but that upper horn/bulge/unnecessary lump of ugliness still looks wrong. 

Out of interest, what is it that makes this a nearly £7k bass? Is the maker that well regarded to command these prices? 

Surely if you really liked the shape you could get one of the best luthiers to make one using the best materials and hardware for a hell of a lot less than that. 

Edited by Maude

2 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I'm guessing no-one likes it then? 🤣

I thought it was a good idea, and that it was well made...

36 minutes ago, eude said:

I think it's bloody gorgeous!

I tried one at a previous LBGS and really liked it. Would have one if it was closer to £1k!

As someone who has played a lot of double bass and loves single cut guitars, I don't know why I just dislike the look of all single cut basses. 

With that said in terms of general design and concept I really like how they have actually tried to make the single cut feature resemble the body of a double bass. However, it really should have been fretless to add to the double bass concept.

• Like 1

It's beyond foul. It combines what to me are the two biggest insults to the eyes in bass design - that massive, bulbous single-cut hump and the twee fake fiddle aesthetic, complete with "traditional" f-hole. Surprised the headstock ended up being so restrained, although it realistically wouldn't look out of place on a £160 bass, never mind a £6750 (HOW MUCH???) one.

Quite surprised at the sheer horridness of this - would agree Marleaux' styling's probably all a bit marmite when we're conditioned into thinking Leo nailed it in 1951 (and that weird thing he made in 1960 was a bit too damn risky) - but I've always found most Marleaux designs striking in a good way. This - the more I look at it, the more it makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Edited by Bassassin
Additional hyperbolic disgust.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Stradi makes a similar design.

1714011247_StradiSymphonyBassFretless56(14).jpg.d45997ea259bf898ef373364ea155e92.jpg

Nah. If you took a rasp & filed down those two stupid little bumps, that would actually be a quite graceful & pleasing take on a singlecut. It's got none of the Marleaux's queasy, malformed freakiness & sheer wrongness.

• Haha 1

I actually kind of like how it looks, despite usually thinking most whale hump basses are being despicably ugly, and really never would buy any kind of single cut guitar or bass myself. 

This one is consequently bulgy baroque and grotesquely bloated though, which I guess does give it a more, relatively speaking, harmonic and wholesome look, compared to most other whale hump bass abominations, and that I for some reason can respect and appreciate.  

Kind of the complementary exact opposite of the aesthetics of pointy instruments like as an example B.C Rich perfected, being equally extreme, but kind of in the exact opposite end of the spectrum. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash