Why become a member? ×

Would you play for free?

11 hours ago, mike257 said:

The government have played a blinder in coming out with great, headline grabbing schemes that they can shout about come the next election, whilst simultaneously making the small print full of enough challenges that an absolute ton of businesses and individuals have been left without any real support. 

I emailed my MP who came back with the party line about all the support. I replied explaining the issue in simple, plain detail, others did too, and she said she would take it up with the Chancellor to no more avail than a few small headlines.

• Like 1

Our band has discussed this scenario and as a hobbyist pub covers band, we have agreed to offer a freebie to 4/5 of our regular venues where we have a good and long standing relationship.

We will also ask them to commit to 2 or 3 paid dates for when and if they get back on their feet. Why ? Cos we really miss playing and want to be able to continue doing something we enjoy.

I totally get other people’s take on it though. I just can’t see any normality returning anytime soon.

• Like 3

Yes, I would for the short-term. 

We don't rely on income from the band to live, although 2 members are music teachers so they have seen a slight drop.

Some venues are in real trouble and if we don't do what we can to save them, it's highly possible they'll never re-open. As for people like sound engineers, lighting, bar staff, security etc. I don't object to them getting paid, as it's likely they will have been hit more than I have - especially the self-employed ones, which the live entertainment industry has a lot of.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 30/07/2020 at 05:41, Newfoundfreedom said:

This came up on another thread and I though it was an interesting topic for discussion. 

If a venue where you played regularly asked you to play for free, given that the current social distancing measures make it difficult for any venue to make money, would you do it, at the risk that without your support the venue may have to close for good? 

Probably not. First of all for it would not be merely playing for free. It would mean traveling for free, loading in and out for free and setting up lights and sound for free.

Even in this Covid environment I can't imagine a venue asking for services for free.

Blue

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Even in this Covid environment I can't imagine a venue asking for services for free.

Perhaps the more relevant question is might they want to reduce the fee, due to business pressures arising from the COVID environment? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If it's for charity, then yes, I don't have a problem with it. I do have a problem with pubs/venues asking if we can play for free as "we don't have a budget for music/it would be good exposure". Why will it be good exposure? Are Sony Records coming for a pint of Bishop's Finger and a bag of pork scratchings?

Musicians playing for free and giving their recorded music away for nothing are devaluing the entire medium. 

1 hour ago, Grassie said:

If it's for charity, then yes, I don't have a problem with it. I do have a problem with pubs/venues asking if we can play for free as "we don't have a budget for music/it would be good exposure". Why will it be good exposure? Are Sony Records coming for a pint of Bishop's Finger and a bag of pork scratchings?

Musicians playing for free and giving their recorded music away for nothing are devaluing the entire medium. 

We have had weddings and parties booked in the past by people that have seen us at a public gig. Doesn't have to be a record company.

• Like 3