Why become a member? ×

Ebay - Bass Guitars Recommended for you - Go for it?

Eldon Tyrell

Got an email from ebay today:  "Bass Guitars Recommended for you"

One was this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/264754366975?campaign-id=90001&run-date=20200730023000&templateId=0bff632b-c44d-4b26-aa5d-5d92d3981176&templateVersion=259&co=13&placement-type=mfe.piyi1P&user-id=44117871227&instance=1596101400&site-id=3&trackingCode=16TE79002_T_ALL_ORM&placement-type-name=mfe.piyi1P&mfe-Id=101242

Text days:

"A beautiful example of a 1970's Fender Jazz bass. Solid body with bolt on neck, Rosewood fingerboard and active electronics.

Well loved and well played.

In need of some TLC and would suit some-one who is just starting to learn"

What do you think, should I go for it? 😉

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Sorry, I should have checked better 😞

No harm no foul. Not exactly an easy search when you couldn't know how other people might have titled their threads.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it hilarious that eBay (and many other organisations) send you advertisements or promotions for something you've just bought. I know their algorithms track you and do it automatically, but it's a bit pointless.

"Just bought a new Aston Martin, sir? Why not have a look at these and see if you fancy another?"

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I find it hilarious that eBay (and many other organisations) send you advertisements or promotions for something you've just bought. I know their algorithms track you and do it automatically, but it's a bit pointless.

"Just bought a new Aston Martin, sir? Why not have a look at these and see if you fancy another?"

Yes, know what you mean.

It would make more sense after buying for example a bass to try to sell you a case or amp than another bass. 

Personally, I think AI will get there soon, and we'll have few sweet years of sensible recommendations before AI goes too far and we all have to bow down to our silicon overlords.

35 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Personally, I think AI will get there soon, and we'll have few sweet years of sensible recommendations before AI goes too far and we all have to bow down to our silicon overlords.

It's getting sinister. Amazon sent me a £34.60 gift voucher as my affiliate fees built up over several years!

I went searching and looked at bluetooth speakers in the range £15-50.

Each page of 10 examples had about 6-9 sponsored links sprinkled through teh list, all priced £32-35.

Do you think they know exactly what I have to spend?

On 30/07/2020 at 23:06, Stub Mandrel said:

It's getting sinister. Amazon sent me a £34.60 gift voucher as my affiliate fees built up over several years!

Know what you mean. I went for a ride on the Mid Hants steam railway yesterday (I love a bit of steam and coal smoke). News items about steam locos, suggestions for other similar places to visit, etc popped up on the feed on my phone whilst I was there. Do they track where you are and your movement (in this case, along the line - presumably, your movement from mobile mast to mobile mast gives that away), work out that you must be on the railway and send you stuff accordingly? That is sinister.