Why become a member? ×

Looking for my first bass (Did you buy a White Squier Musicmaster in Salford)

cheddatom

My first ever bass was a Squier Musicmaster in white, like this

844130349__86.thumb.jpg.e51aa6b79d33e65945fa67baac064232.jpg

I sold it when I was 16. I had no idea it was worth anything, I'd started playing 6 string basses, and I really wanted to buy a drum kit. I had one school friend who'd give me a kit for £50 and another who'd give me £50 for the bass - sorted. However, I've never been able to let it go, and as time goes by (I'm now 35) the regret gets more intense. About 5 years ago, the person I sold it to got in touch on Facebook. She's now living in the states. Of course I asked about the bass and she explained she'd given it to her sister, but she'd ask if I could buy it back. The sister said no, but if she ever came to sell it she'd let me know

I'm struggling with a wrist injury at the moment. I can't play my 6 strings, even a standard P is difficult, so I was looking at some short scale basses and thought I'd contact her again just on the off chance. It turns out the sister sold it to a guy in Salford last year for £250. I'd have easily paid double that to get it back!

I wonder if anyone on here bought it? Or knows anyone who did? I put a deep gouge in the top by the jack socket, I assume that's not been repaired.

Edited by cheddatom

• 4 weeks later...

Ha!

This morning, I decided that I'd sell my Squier Musicmaster. Put it on Gumtree, I thought. Just before I did that, I checked the BC "Wanted" section and discovered that Cheddatom was looking for a white Musicmaster. We swapped photos and -yes! - I had his first ever bass. It's now back with him, and I'm really pleased that it turned out the way it did. 

Bit of BC Karma, right there.

Steve

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, solo4652 said:

Ha!

This morning, I decided that I'd sell my Squier Musicmaster. Put it on Gumtree, I thought. Just before I did that, I checked the BC "Wanted" section and discovered that Cheddatom was looking for a white Musicmaster. We swapped photos and -yes! - I had his first ever bass. It's now back with him, and I'm really pleased that it turned out the way it did. 

Steve

This is amazing. Congrats to all!

10 hours ago, solo4652 said:

Ha!

Steve

I am over the moon. Spent an hour playing it last night after getting back to stoke and it feels so "right". Thanks so much Steve

20200826_225826.thumb.jpg.4aa3113a69b2681e35ae11ace097c127.jpg

I won't sell it again :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1