Why become a member? ×

Wizard Thumper

Pow_22

Ive been tempted by on of these for a while but my main concerns are 1) Its not really a traditional P bass tone and 2) Mud!

I play a MIM Classic Reissue 50's bass into an old Ampeg SVT into a 2x12 ampeg, no effects.  Im looking for big depth which obviously the Thumper will provide but im also looking for growl and not just a mud bath in the low end.  I guess the Thumper will push my valves a bit harder which may in turn give me some of that spongey/bouncy growl but as im using flatwounds i dont want there to be a complete lack of clarity and just a load of uncontrollable boom coming out.

Does anyone have any specific experience using the Thumper with flats (particularly through a valve head) that can comment?

As far as the tone in my head im seeking from the thumper its kinda like the vid below (yes i know its a completely different bass with active electronics) but with the hotter output of the thumper and the darker overall tone i was hoping to get in this ballpark:-

Just to add - currently in the bass is a SPB-1.  Not a bad pup by any means but just seems to be lacking ''ooomph'' or ''wallop''.  Ive always loved the Priboara handwound pups from Russia but thinking something a little hotter might help push the SVT for the spongey growl as per the above vid

I know tone and sound are subjective, but having said that I use one of the old Thumpers from the days when they were made in Wales.  I assume the newer ones are made to the same specs.

I started using (Fender) flats on the P with the Thumper into either a Trace combo (rehearsal studio gear) or my Ashdown ABM500 head into TE cabs, often through a Sansamp BDDI.  Speaking personally I love the sound of the Thumper with flats, I think I get plenty of definition and certainly don't get lost in a booming sea of mud imho.  I play in an originals band and use a tone somewhere between (an approximation of) SVT and a slightly more modern rock tone, but leaning more towards the SVT sound.

I doubt you'll be disappointed.  If it's not for you I'm sure it would sell pretty quickly on here.

• Like 1

The original Wizard Thumpers were made by Andy Blake but he retired and passed on the Thumper to Hot Rod Pickups who now seem to have merged with Eternal Guitars, though you can still get the Thumper.  It's just not Wizard anymore. 

https://www.eternal-guitars.com/product-page/pb-thumper-precision-bass-pickup

Excellent Precision pickups with a tone of low mid and a softer top end.  I've got two sets in different guitars and they're my favourite by far. 

• Like 1

Ive got a Thumper somewhere at home. Got it direct from Andy when he was still going and gigged it in my Squier CVP for a few years. 

Not sure how to describe it. Nothing special comes to mind, but ill qualify that statement with it was nice. I’d say exactly the same about any P bass pup ive had, inc Fralins. 

Echo had a slightly different tone, but all sound like a P bass. I didnt hear as much ‘thump’ as i expected, but it was definitely on the vintage side IIR. Absolutely nothing wring with it at all, but i did replace it a couple of years ago with a DP122, which i now prefer. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive got a Thumper somewhere at home. Got it direct from Andy when he was still going and gigged it in my Squier CVP for a few years. 

Not sure how to describe it. Nothing special comes to mind, but ill qualify that statement with it was nice. I’d say exactly the same about any P bass pup ive had, inc Fralins. 

Echo had a slightly different tone, but all sound like a P bass. I didnt hear as much ‘thump’ as i expected, but it was definitely on the vintage side IIR. Absolutely nothing wring with it at all, but i did replace it a couple of years ago with a DP122, which i now prefer. 

Don't suppose you'd be interested in selling the thumper by any chance?

Hiho,Andy built me a thumper with a wee tweek after he asked for 3 examples of the sound I was after.Yup it,s a guid yin n he told me if you pull the volume back to 8 it,ll do the vintage sound,crank it up and extra presence will kick in and it would be a nice aggresive tone and the tone control will be more usable/ musical.

Yup he was a Wizard after all.

I would have liked to have got a pair of Pups from Andy for my Ricky but hey ho.

Andy was great to deal with. I brought a pair of 84’s off him but found them a bit dark. He  took them back and made me a set of 74’s, which i was using in my Squier CV Jazz until recently (replaced them with a set of Fender CS pups). 

Very accommodating. 

Edited by dave_bass5