Why become a member? ×

Isolated Bass - Geddy Lee - YYZ

PaulThePlug

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

It's amazing how awful some amazing bass tones can sound when isolated.

Works perfectly in the mix, sounds like ar$e on it's own.

Sounds badass to me! And not just the bridge.

I always think Geddy's Jazz sounds so much better when he's riding the front pickup only. I think he only played it that way on Moving Pictures though.

Sorry to digress and fair play to Geddy, but listening to it makes me feel sad that Rob Wright doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Bass legend and pioneer since 79. He never chased fame and fortune though, so kudos to him. 

And on this album they were a two piece - Rob on bass/guitar/vocals and his brother John on drums/vocals

Simply too cool 😎

Edited by P-Belly Evans
  • Like 2

That's how I hear it on the record, typical Geddy Lee sound with lot of drive and really muddy. That said I like it a lot when isolated. It also makes me think why the heck am I always looking for a perfect sound ? 😉

Awesome! 👍

I never quite appreciated how on top of the beat he is on it, almost 'Rush'ing (sorry 🙏)

Growling tone aside, YYZ always sounds so tight and pristine almost. It's brilliant to hear him absolutely attacking his bass with a punk-like attitude. The kind of attitude I'd usually associate with Flea or something. Anyone know what right hand technique he was into here? This was before the move to his flemenco thing right? 

Interestingly, those killer fills sound like punch-ins to me. 

Fabulous to sneak a peek behind the wizard's curtain. Thanks for posting!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

That's how I hear it on the record, typical Geddy Lee sound with lot of drive and really muddy. That said I like it a lot when isolated. It also makes me think why the heck am I always looking for a perfect sound ? 😉

For some people that is the perfect sound.  😉

Edited by 4000

Muddy? 

Mo mud there, man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

Interestingly, those killer fills sound like punch-ins to me. 

What does a punch-in sound like, if its been edited well?

Obviously, the volume is higher because its a solo, but that's not the same as a punch in.

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

What does a punch-in sound like, if its been edited well?

Obviously, the volume is higher because its a solo, but that's not the same as a punch in.

Oh it's edited well no doubt.  It's hard to explain to be honest.. It sounds like just for those small parts the bass is dialled in differently and has a different air to it like it's played at a different time. Hard to say. I can feel it is all I can say. Within the tune itself it's undetectable. 

Punching in is common though. If you listen to the isolated bass of Flea on Under The Bridge, it's quite noticeable that he punches in for the outro unison passages with John towards the end.

Geddy's a total hero of mine and it doesn't matter to me that he may have punched in some fills at the time because after the creation of the album he burns it live. What I find interesting is that maybe he composed those fills after listening to the track, building each time, to add the perfect part.

God knows if that makes sense! Do bloody tired right now..

As you were.. 🤘

Ok, the sound is awful, muddy because it is muddy with lot of drive, strings noise, fret noise, picking noise, rattling, and so on... Far away from what is called a precise or defined sound. And far away from my approach of the sound as I tend to avoid all of these.

Yes, we can hear almost every note he's playing with what is commonly known as a crap sound.

But as I already wrote I like it and it deserves the tune (there's no singing in YYZ, so technically it's not a song) perfectly.

Just now, Hellzero said:

Ok, the sound is awful, muddy because it is muddy with lot of drive, strings noise, fret noise, picking noise, rattling, and so on...

Many of the greatest bass tones we've ever heard (instrumental, song, whatever) have bass tracks which are similarly 'afflicted'.

I reckon if you got the stems of some of the more recent super-technical recordings, the bass might be super precise and hi-fi, but chances are they don't sound anywhere near as good in the mix.

• Like 4

lot of drive, strings noise, fret noise, picking noise, rattling, and so on...

But on a Rush tune (with no vocals), the bass is one of three instruments. Its a very different situation to a tune which might have 2 guitars, keys, vocals where the bass must find its place in 1/6 of the sound sphere. I think if you re-recorded it with a clean and tidy bass tone, it would sound somewhat 'hollow' or 'sparse'.

Regarding the solos/punch ins, it would be interesting to hear from anyone who performs this live, what type of effect they use for those couple of bars - for example a boost? A channel switch on the amp? If they didn't alter the sound, it would sound too quiet and not work as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

But on a Rush tune (with no vocals), the bass is one of three instruments. Its a very different situation to a tune which might have 2 guitars, keys, vocals where the bass must find its place in 1/6 of the sound sphere. I think if you re-recorded it with a clean and tidy bass tone, it would sound somewhat 'hollow' or 'sparse'.

There was a celebrity Rush covers album a few years ago. Stu Hamm played on YYZ.

It's not a direct comparison as the entire production is very different to the original, but Hamm's ultra clean and dry tone really doesn't work in that song. Not to my ears anyway!

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

6 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

There was a celebrity Rush covers album a few years ago. Stu Hamm played on YYZ.

It's not a direct comparison as the entire production is very different to the original, but Hamm's ultra clean and dry tone really doesn't work in that song. Not to my ears anyway!

TBH I can't think of a situation where an ultra-clean, dry tone would work. It should remain the domain of bassists who iron their jeans.

• Haha 8