Why become a member? ×

Bravewood 62 jazz bass

MM Stingray 62

10 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah the chap builds them by hand - pretty cool. I know @LukeFRC is in his queue...but as far as I understand it, you’ll get the bass whenever he’s done and you won’t be getting build diary updates 😂

Sounds like a luther to avoid IMO.

Just now, PatrickJ said:

Sounds like a luther to avoid IMO.

It does sound weird, but I think he's been there and done the commission build thing and if he was still taking orders, he would have more work that he's prepared to do. He now builds what he wants to build in the knowledge that they will sell. I don't see a list of unsold basses on his web site. 

• Like 3

That P Bass is more than I paid for my Jazz brand new last year  🤔

Edit - maybe SB is more pricey than blonde due the elements?

Still, I think his basses are easily worth that money, the quality is awesome. I’m not really into relics, which made me nearly sell mine once or twice, but it’s just too good to actually let go. If that P was nearer to me then I could have been in trouble. 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

It does sound weird, but I think he's been there and done the commission build thing and if he was still taking orders, he would have more work that he's prepared to do. He now builds what he wants to build in the knowledge that they will sell. I don't see a list of unsold basses on his web site. 

That's exactly it. And when he posts a completed bass (or guitar) they almost always sell within a day. The bass in this OP was a real exception in that it was on his site for about a week. I recall this same (I think) P-bass from just a little earlier and the price was the same or perhaps even less than the asking price in the ad, so that's interesting to see.

I had him do a restoration and he actually did give regular updates and send photos along the way. I had no problems with his communications. It looks like he just checks email once in the morning and again in the afternoon and then focuses on the work as he's a one person shop. One can see how his groove would get thrown off by constantly having to interrupt what he's doing to answer the phone. Plus when it's in email it can be referred back to so no subjective misinterpretation of phone conversations.

His work is top level and miles beyond stuff like Nash.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

Yeah, I was trying to remember. I think it's had another 100 added on over what it was new IIRC, though not absolutely certain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

Edit - maybe SB is more pricey than blonde due the elements?

Still, I think his basses are easily worth that money, the quality is awesome. I’m not really into relics, which made me nearly sell mine once or twice, but it’s just too good to actually let go. If that P was nearer to me then I could have been in trouble. 

He does not charge more for SB. If this P is the same one I think it is it was listed several weeks before your Jazz and the Jazz was priced higher. I really considered buying the Jazz at the time (and wish I did as I'm in the EU and would have to tack on additional VAT if I were to buy one now). Besides, a proper vintage blonde is itself a burst of sorts, albeit subtle; the outer edge should be sprayed opaque to cover end grain and lamination joints. This is a detail even the Custom Shop instruments missed for years.

On the restoration of my '66 J he did it over a SB and the upcharge was nominal. It was sort of a shame as he sent photos while in progress and it was an absolutely beautiful SB!

I don't know if the tactic of trying to sell for more than new is going to work. I think Oliver is correct and around 1500 has been what most I've seen go for used (which is still great retention of value for any new instrument).

Edited by Kazan
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kazan said:

(and wish I did as I'm in the EU and would have to tack on additional VAT if I were to buy one now)

I have a Bravewood SB Jazz and can thoroughly recommend his work. For the same reason as @Kazan this lovely P bass will sadly not be joining me though. Otherwise, I'd have been very tempted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, I think I'm on the list. John has the spec for my bass on file and has promised to contact me if any of his builds look like they're going in the desired direction.

I've not heard anything yet and that was last August.

What was it that you were thinking of?

I have a fretless Jazz that John built me back around 2007. It's a great instrument with a few minor niggles that I don't suppose appear on the later ones.  At the time it was such a bargain for what it was I decided I could live with them. I'll never sell it and would have another if the opportunity arose - the white blonde jazz here is basically exactly what I'd like - beautiful! 

I respect John's s decision to conduct business in a way that suits him,  however I must admit at times I felt a bit uncomfortable dealing with him. Perhaps that's why he's chosen the path he has re. order taking.  Wonderful instruments though. 

There was a fretless for sale on his site the other day if anyone's interested. Not a strict replica though,  but bet it's a great bass. 

Edited by Mokl
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mokl said:

I have a fretless Jazz that John built me back around 2007. It's a great instrument with a few minor niggles that I don't suppose appear on the later ones.  At the time it was such a bargain for what it was I decided I could live with them. I'll never sell it and would have another if the opportunity arose - the white blonde jazz here is basically exactly what I'd like - beautiful! 

I respect John's s decision to conduct business in a way that suits him,  however I must admit at times I felt a bit uncomfortable dealing with him. Perhaps that's why he's chosen the path he has re. order taking.  Wonderful instruments though. 

There was a fretless for sale on his site the other day if anyone's interested. Not a strict replica though,  but bet it's a great bass. 

Much more reasonable price on that one, too.

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

I wouldn’t call £1600 for a hand built bass Made in the U.K. unreasonable ... 

Perhaps call the one he has listed now a bargain then? Certainly compared to the used P for £1800. Not sure which you mean for £1600 but agree that's good value for money.

To clarify, I think John's instruments (and restoration work) are under-priced. The thing with the P bass strikes me the same as ticket scalping or other examples of inflated resale.

Edited by Kazan