Why become a member? ×

Bravewood 62 jazz bass

MM Stingray 62

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

That’s all good to hear from you Guy, I hoped the neck would be great as the necks so often let down the CS basses. 
I’ll post my thoughts on this thread when it comes. 
Congrats on the 65 👍

You’re in for a treat. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GuyR said:

New CS are the same price as a decent refin original bought privately, so no contest for me.

Last time I was in the guitar shop trying something they had a CS P, was a lovely bass, but not jaw droppingly so... then asked the price ...! I think it was about £4K! 

@marleaux62 & @GuyR - as you asked for my thoughts...

The bass arrived today, I put some flats on and have had about an hour playing. It sounds fantastic, very clear and crisp with some awesome lows on the E string. I’m looking forward to getting to know it over the next week when playing it with less of that ‘new bass anticipation’ thing going on. 

The vintage vibe is there in buckets, and at times when playing I really did think I was on an old bass when I looked at the neck! It’s not a bass that’d fool a collector or vintage fan, but that’s not really the point is it? 

I think it’s a great value, but high quality and lovingly made, unique instrument. 

And throughout the sale John was awesome, especially while two couriers tried their best to screw this up.... but the Bravewood won, and I got it on time. 

• Like 6

One last post - just had another hour on it, playing to tunes, drum loops and a recording a friend just made. This neck is just delicious and very special, the tone is wonderful and the overall looks and vibe keep making me stop playing and just check it out 🤣

I’ve known I was going to get another Jazz for some months, but was waiting for something special rather, than follow my GAS. Feel like I’ve been rewarded for waiting. 

• Like 2

I was confident you would like it. It's the neck finish that makes it and the general feel is closer to the real thing in my opinion than anything else available I have seen. It's a shame for me such a high proportion of John's basses are SB, white or blonde, as I am covered for those.

thanks for the initial impression and I hope it continues to satisfy. And you'll get your money back if the love goes, unlike CS.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GuyR said:

I was confident you would like it. It's the neck finish that makes it and the general feel is closer to the real thing in my opinion than anything else available I have seen. It's a shame for me such a high proportion of John's basses are SB, white or blonde, as I am covered for those.

thanks for the initial impression and I hope it continues to satisfy. And you'll get your money back if the love goes, unlike CS.

A LPB Jazz or Sherwood Green P would be very tempting for me... but in reality I’m very pleased that this is one that deserves keeping. 

9 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

I knew you'd love it John's guitars are probably the closest thing you can get to the real thing. 

I agree with you both about how good these feel, compared to other options out there these are very special.

For me, Clive Brown does a relic that’s closest to the real thing - but he doesn’t make guitars or basses, so Bravewood have definitely got the prime spot and huge resect from me. 

Thanks to you both 👍

Edited by Chiliwailer

Just now, Chiliwailer said:

For me, Clive Brown does a relic that’s closest to the real thing - but he doesn’t make guitars or basses, so Bravewood have definitely got the prime spot and huge resect from me. 

Agree re Clive Brown. I have played a 65 CAR Strat he had completely refinished, neck and body. To me the finish was indistinguishable from my 65 CAR. His work is outstanding. I tried a blonde tele of his also that had a sublime checked body refin? He understands subtlety, has zero online presence, no contact details, but still has an 18 month waiting list.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GuyR said:

Agree re Clive Brown. I have played a 65 CAR Strat he had completely refinished, neck and body. To me the finish was indistinguishable from my 65 CAR. His work is outstanding. I tried a blonde tele of his also that had a sublime checked body refin? He understands subtlety, has zero online presence, no contact details, but still has an 18 month waiting list.

Yup - and to top it all off he’s such a nice fella. Loves chatting about old guitars, and can still laugh at the hype of old gear - “people think they are made of pixie dust” was my favourite line! 

7 hours ago, marleaux62 said:

I have never seen Clive Brown's work but I've heard it's absolutely fantastic. Does anyone know the cost of a refinish by him?

I’m hazy on that tbh - it’s been well over 10 years since I was in the know. £600 rings a bell. I can’t recall if that’s just body or neck and body. I know it’s not cheap though, hopefully someone will come along and put me right. 

Just remembered he also makes Dwight guitars - some by hand and some from parts IIRC. Not cheap though. 

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been a few weeks now since I got this 62. Settled with a set of Thomastik flats and been playing this one the most out of my basses. 

I’m constantly drawn to the resonance and tone - vintage and vibeing on the neck pup and super articulate and full with both on (I don’t/can’t do Jaco...so no solo’d bridge). And that neck.... 🥰

Seeing his for sale page blank makes me wonder how many he makes a year???

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

It’s been a few weeks now since I got this 62. Settled with a set of Thomastik flats and been playing this one the most out of my basses. 

I’m constantly drawn to the resonance and tone - vintage and vibeing on the neck pup and super articulate and full with both on (I don’t/can’t do Jaco...so no solo’d bridge). And that neck...

Seeing his for sale page blank makes me wonder how many he makes a year???

I think most sell during manufacture, so never appear online.

With good reason.

Edited by GuyR
  • Thanks 1