Why become a member? ×

Funky theory?

uk_lefty

Hi everyone. I play mainly bluesy rock type stuff and a lot of 80s songs in my band. I've always played in that style, however as my band tries to get more and more wedding and function gigs (pre lockdown) I want to broaden my palette to be more funky to give more of a dance like boost to the songs. My question is whether there are scales or modes I should focus on? I know to accent the 1, octaves are good but when I try fills and other embellishments I can often take the funk out when I'm trying to put it in! If that makes sense? Any guidance greatly appreciated. 

At the risk of sounding annoying, I honestly think the best thing to do is to transcribe/steal/learn some licks from guys you want to sound like. Even in the most ubiquitous funk tunes there will be some cool ideas for the taking (all those great Bernard Edwards lines in Chic/Sister Sledge).

In terms of the vocabulary/theory, perhaps the rhythmic content is more significant than the melodic- it's really worth listening to and working syncopation and accents. When you mentioned 'taking the funk out', that's what I immediately thought of! 

In terms of chord/scales, there is a lot of pentatonic stuff, with or without 'blue notes' and use of the dorian mode (e.g. Good Times). I do reckon it's better to learn/copy/trascrirbe ideas first, then rationalise/theorise afterwards- that way you'll be able to learn how to use scales in a musical way. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, you are on the right track and I also endorse the use of transcribing. 

Here is a video lesson that I made on Funk. There are a few ideas in there. Hope it helps. 

Obviously though, you will get some much more awesome lines from the greats!  There where I got mine from.