Why become a member? ×

Hello from Devon

waylander

Hey everyone

im actually a long time inactive lurker recently returned to the world of bass so I thought I’d say hi as it’s been a decade. Hopefully that’s alright please delete if not. 

Sadly haven’t played much in the last 10 years. Work and adult life got in the way, but my long term goal was to return to bass and learn again when I’d finished studying my professional qualification. 

The ends now in sight but a certain pandemic and fracturing my foot during lockdowns meant ive come back sooner to stay sane. Loving being back playing the bass, currently taking lessons with a teacher via zoom (due to not being able to walk far). Currently learning the more technical side of music and expanding what types of music I play as I was siloed into rock for most of the time I played.

im also trying to self teach myself slap from online videos so if anyone’s got any tips or advice for a total beginner to getting started they’re very welcome!

current set up

epiphone thunderbird bass

ashdown studio 8 and Peavey Max 158 combo amps 

Ehx Bass preacher & Darkglass B3K v1 pedals

Edited by waylander
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

:crigon_04:

Lurking in the shadows didn’t put you off then? 😂 Good bunch of folk here, always happy to help with anything from bass, to spreadsheets, to plumbing and all stops in between.

Nah didn’t put me off, gave me an incentive to come back truth be told, my wife just gets this glazed over look when I try to talk to her about bass. 🤣

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, waylander said:

Nah didn’t put me off, gave me an incentive to come back truth be told, my wife just gets this glazed over look when I try to talk to her about bass. 🤣

I don't think she's alone, Lady Ez is much the same, although she will often put voice to it too. 😂

• Haha 1

Welcome aboard! I'm sure someone here will help out on learning to play slap, probably best to ask on the technique thread. 

Bad luck to fracture your foot in lockdown, but if you will go skateboarding down the deserted Devon lanes...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Richard R said:

Welcome aboard! I'm sure someone here will help out on learning to play slap, probably best to ask on the technique thread. 

Bad luck to fracture your foot in lockdown, but if you will go skateboarding down the deserted Devon lanes...

But all the cattle grids and pot holes make for a really extreme sport 😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PatrickJ said:

Welcome welcome, where from the Devon are you?

Sorry mate Devons pretty much all I can say, it’s nothing personal. I know this forums probably safe compared to a lot of the net that’s like the Wild West at times... but I’m a stupidly cautious about what I post about myself online after some weirdo on Reddit tracked me down using my username on their which was the same as my username on Xbox live and started to stalk me in both, as well as posting my real name and what info he got from that too Reddit.

You’d think I’d got into some heated argument with him... all I’d done was quote a Terry Prachett book in a post about books. He either really hated Terry Pratchett or was just a major creep I’ll never know! But it kind of gave me the creeps about posting stuff as just takes one weirdo in an unrelated media to have some spare time and they could find out a lot.

Edited by waylander
Context
  • Like 2