Why become a member? ×

Where is best for strings these days?

pintspiller

16 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

Bass Specialities on eBay. Been using them for 7 years now with no issues. Unbelievable that it's still cheaper to get strings sent from the US to the UK than to buy from a shop here. 

I was getting excited... but they don't stock Dunlop.

Boo!

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeh, I did that a few times then go a post office slush money claim on one, which ended up being very expensive strings, like £6 vat and £12 handling charge

Mine are the price I paid on eBay. They send them has a gift so incur no extra charges.

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

Mine are the price I paid on eBay. They send them has a gift so incur no extra charges.

Thats good all the time it works.

Anyway, given them a try so thanks for the heads up. I wanted to see what the black strings were like but they are too expensive here

Edited by Woodinblack

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

One day I will get round to trying Elixirs, I get fed up with how quickly strings go dull but they are a lot of money to spend on something you don't know. I mean, I have bough new guitars cheaper than that!

I was sceptical at first but I gave them a try based on recommendations. I'll never go back now. To give you an idea of how long these things last... I like a bit of brightness in my sound, as I do like to chuck in the occasional (very occasional) slap or pull, but even so I have still only needed to buy two new sets in the last 3 gigging years (not counting this gig-free year, obvs!).

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I was sceptical at first but I gave them a try based on recommendations. I'll never go back now. To give you an idea of how long these things last... I like a bit of brightness in my sound, as I do like to chuck in the occasional (very occasional) slap or pull, but even so I have still only needed to buy two new sets in the last 3 gigging years (not counting this gig-free year, obvs!).

Hmm.. worth a try then. However, my main two gigging (hah - gigging!) basses have just had new strings, but maybe I will get some for the next time

On 29/07/2020 at 14:41, NancyJohnson said:

Amazon.  Avoid sellers and just go with Amazon.  I've not changed strings on anything for a while now.  Elixir prices are pretty eyewatering. 

Last time I needed some TI flats, about a year ago Amazon was a silly price.  Got a set almost £10 less from Bax Music. Had a few other bits from them since,  they don't get mentioned much here, unless I've missed it.

1 hour ago, pfretrock said:

Last time I needed some TI flats, about a year ago Amazon was a silly price.  Got a set almost £10 less from Bax Music. Had a few other bits from them since,  they don't get mentioned much here, unless I've missed it.

I can assure you that I have mentioned bax music many many times in the last few months 🤬

• Like 1

Another shout out for Strings Direct. Last week I ordered a set of 5 D’addario NYXL singles on Sunday, and they arrived next day via Royal Mail!   Paid nowt for shipping either.

I assume that’s the sort of thing they’re doing to try to compete with Amazon Prime, but I really didn’t expect anything to be dispatched on a Sunday.

£50 for a 5 string set is a bit dear (Elixir money!) but so far they are remarkable, lovely strings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2020 at 12:00, ClassicVibes said:

Bass Specialities on eBay. Been using them for 7 years now with no issues. Unbelievable that it's still cheaper to get strings sent from the US to the UK than to buy from a shop here. 

On 29/07/2020 at 13:54, Woodinblack said:

Anyway, given them a try so thanks for the heads up. I wanted to see what the black strings were like but they are too expensive here

So arrived today, so they have taken that long to get here, 20 days. And you are right, no tax or anything and I had actually forgotten I ordered them, so as long as you are getting strings for some time next month they are a good option. So £30 all in, considerably less than the UK.

Will still get my general strings from the smaller shops round here, you know, the helping small business thing, but its good for the expensive things.

13 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

So arrived today, so they have taken that long to get here, 20 days. And you are right, no tax or anything and I had actually forgotten I ordered them, so as long as you are getting strings for some time next month they are a good option. So £30 all in, considerably less than the UK.

Will still get my general strings from the smaller shops round here, you know, the helping small business thing, but its good for the expensive things.

It's took longer than usual due to Covid. Normally it's 7-10 days.

£30 for Black Beauties seems a lot. They're £24-25 right now?

21 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

It's took longer than usual due to Covid. Normally it's 7-10 days.

£30 for Black Beauties seems a lot. They're £24-25 right now?

Inc shipping from the US seemed pretty good, can't find them for less than £40 anywhere else (for 45-130)

For my short scale I had settled on LaBella M42s which I last got from Stringbusters, nowhere else stocked them and looks like nowhere still does. Previously I had used Elites but they appear to have never existed.
I have just put in my first order with Newtone so looking forward to giving them a try.

Edited by goingdownslow