Why become a member? ×

Where is best for strings these days?

pintspiller

I generally just do an eBay search for certain brands at certain price-points but want other opinions at the moment.

I've been using Swing Bass for a couple of years. I like the sound, but not the price. The bottom two string die too quick for me. I go through two or three sets a year. Thinking of returning to Rotobass or Fender.

I like rotosound and DR strings but recently bought a bass with Dunlop Superbrights on it. They sound great, have low tension and are pretty reasonably priced.

Don't know how long lasting they are though, as I've not had any gigs since march.

Always worth checking Amazon.

A couple of years ago someone was selling DR Hi Beams on there, imported from the US, for less than two thirds of what they generally go for in the UK, including postage.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Always worth checking Amazon.

A couple of years ago someone was selling DR Hi Beams on there, imported from the US, for less than two thirds of what they generally go for in the UK, including postage.

The amount of fake products in Amazon, makes it hard for me to trust them. If it says "fulfilled by amazon" anyone can send stock to Amazon warehouses and its sent out. 

I use strings direct. 

• Like 2

Hiho been using Dunlop superbright steel exclusively for years and they last a long time.I buy them in boxes of 6 sets at a time.Best sounding strings for me,all my basses come alive with them.I,ve used almost everything over the decades including Optima/Maxima gold strings.

Not for everyone but they do nickle as well.

• Like 1

I've recently (after 30 years) swapped to Dunlop.

Stainless Rounds for some basses, and their flats for others.

I only swapped because I couldn't get a medium scale B from D'addario and just went with what I could get. 

I tend to get mine from Amazon. I have Prime so I might as well!

Thanks for your advice chaps. I avoid buying from Amazon for most things as there have been tales of counterfeit strings for years. I usually check prices on Strings Direct, but usually go with a couple of sellers I've used on eBay in the past.

I ended up going with Gear4Music in the end, and decided to try the Warwick Reds as suggested by @Lozz196 rather than the RotoBass or Fender as originally intended. I've bought two sets, one of which will go on my Bitsa P. I can't remember what went on there last, possibly GE Bass Signature Strings for a Fiver on eBay, and the four months I've spent Shielding from Covid has killed them.

4 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

The amount of fake products in Amazon, makes it hard for me to trust them. If it says "fulfilled by amazon" anyone can send stock to Amazon warehouses and its sent out. 

I use strings direct. 

Agreed full of fakes and I don't really like amazon's business practices so don't use them anyway back on topic if I buy strings I normally use gear4music or maybe dv247 but Google is a good option as prices really vary from shop to shop

I'm using warwick red label bass strings and I like them just shy of 9 quid a set and last pretty well and sound good to me 

I generally get them from whoever I am getting things from at the time. Sometimes I get them from shops if I happen to be near one, they are more expensive there but I don't mind that.

Otherwise StringsDirect, G4M, Andertons, whoever. Richtone music sometimes are good.

I don't use Amazon.

I've been using Newtone strings recently for my Jazz bass and Acoustic guitar - I order them direct from the Newtone website.

For La Bella strings Bassdirect prices always seem to be much cheaper than anywhere else (the same may apply for other brands too). 

Otherwise I go to Strings Direct.  SD prices aren't always the best but their customer service is always fantastic.

• Like 3

The Status groups on FB rave about Status Hotwire strings, available direct from Status at £14.00 a set (and even cheaper if you order in bulk) I have them on a couple of basses and so far I am impressed with the sound, feel and longevity v cost of them when compared with Labella Super Steps and Elites which I have favoured for years but seem to be getting more difficult to get easily for a decent price.

As a mid priced set I would recommend giving Hotwires a go

• Like 2

10 hours ago, adamg67 said:

Bass Direct have always been noticeably cheaper for the same strings compared to Strings Direct whenever I’ve compared them.

Strings direct always used to be great price wise but sadly not anymore for me at least but in all fairness prices have gone up lots everywhere on certain items 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Strings direct always used to be great price wise but sadly not anymore for me at least but in all fairness prices have gone up lots everywhere on certain items 

When Stringbusters were still around there was good competition between them.

But for some flatwound strings it's actually cheaper for me to order from Germany and pay £10 shipping!

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

When Stringbusters were still around there was good competition between them.

But for some flatwound strings it's actually cheaper for me to order from Germany and pay £10 shipping!

I'd never used stringbusters but agree about shipping from Germany the red labels are still cheaper in gear4music I found but some strings vary as much as 5 or 6 quid a pack now so shopping around is the best option if places only put prices up by 50p or even a quid I would try and stay loyal to one shop but I'm not taking a big hit on a product that's a lot cheaper elsewhere sad but true 

19 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

I use strings direct. 

This, this and this. I use Elixirs so I don't buy strings very often, admittedly, but Strings Direct always get my business.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

This, this and this. I use Elixirs so I don't buy strings very often, admittedly, but Strings Direct always get my business.

One day I will get round to trying Elixirs, I get fed up with how quickly strings go dull but they are a lot of money to spend on something you don't know. I mean, I have bough new guitars cheaper than that!

19 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

If you like Rotosound Swingbass try Warwick Red Label Steels, they sound very similar, last at least twice as long, and with  some searching can be found for around £10 a set.

I shall bung some in with a future Thomann order, thanks for the tip. 

15 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

Bass Specialities on eBay. Been using them for 7 years now with no issues. Unbelievable that it's still cheaper to get strings sent from the US to the UK than to buy from a shop here. 

Yeh, I did that a few times then go a post office slush money claim on one, which ended up being very expensive strings, like £6 vat and £12 handling charge