Why become a member? ×

Considering an East MMSR Preamp

danbanbass

I’ve got a Musicman 3eq Stingray which I’m really happy with apart from I find the eq can jump significantly from the centre decent to just off it.

I’d like a little more control over this and also the ability to boost and shift the mid range seems quite appealing too.

Does anyone use the East MMSR 4 preamp on theirs and can give me any feedback and experience of having this mod?

Cheers

Yes, I have used them on two Stingrays.

Do it! That's all. :) Great preamps and the semiparametric mids are very useful. I also prefer the "2-band" character they have, as opposed to the EBMM 3-band, which I find a bit 'thinner' somehow.

On 28/07/2020 at 10:21, danbanbass said:

I’ve got a Musicman 3eq Stingray which I’m really happy with apart from I find the eq can jump significantly from the centre decent to just off it.

I’d like a little more control over this and also the ability to boost and shift the mid range seems quite appealing too.

Does anyone use the East MMSR 4 preamp on theirs and can give me any feedback and experience of having this mod?

Cheers

They appear to be out of stock, according to John East's website.

I have the 3 knob, 3 band version and love it. Really helps remove the yawning chasm in the mids you get with the 2-band whilst still sounding like a 2 band.

I do believe that the 4 knob version is the same circuitry, just different controls, so it will voice your bass slightly differently as there's a little difference between the stock EBMM 2 band and 3 band, with the MMSR deigned to sound more like the 2 band.

• Like 1

In reality there's not a vast difference between the Musicman 2 band and pre 2018 3 band. The main differences are:-

1) The 3 band has a high pass filter which cuts frequencies right at the bottom end which can be boomy in some situations

2) The 3 band Musicman mid frequency needs to be cut - possibly about 50% below centre to get a 2 band sound (boost the bass and treble a little as well). I do this and then turn the mid up as a tone control dependent also on the frequency of the other instruments. 

Worth trying this!! 

All that said one of the best recorded 3 band sounds I've heard had all three controls on full boost!! A bit of compression from the desk and what a sound! It was on a modern rock song.

The latest 3 band (Stingray Special) is quite different - the EQ is more like a single pick up Bongo with the amount of bass available but the mid is centred lower than the previous 3 band in terms of frequency - but then has more cut and plenty of boost available - plus neodymium pick up magnets and an 18 volt pre amp. 

Edited by drTStingray