Why become a member? ×

What would the specs and design be of your dream custom bass?

Baloney Balderdash

8 minutes ago, Big_Stu said:

My dream bass was a John Birch EB3 exactly like Slade's Jim Lea. When I had the cash I had him build me one, and in the process became one of the elite few to have been ripped off by John Birch. But it is what it is, I still have it.

http://youtu.be/ffZXnWkbkgs

That made me smile.

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

That made me smile.

Apparently one tactic I was told about by an ex-employee was to send a finished guitar on spec to a "name", which they would assume was a sponsorship gift. Then JB would wait a few months then send in an invoice knowing that it would just be processed along with all the others a big band would get on a daily basis. One such gets mentioned occasionally on here.

I don't mean to denigrate John, to me he was a mad professor genius, and even in the last week of his life was working on "a radical new pickup which would be far higher output than Tony (Iommi) had ever heard of". As an electronics expert he not only served on Hawaii (where he "electrified" an acoustic guitar for the base band) for the US forces but was also a Chindit fighting the Japanese in WW2

Edited by Big_Stu
  • Like 2

On 28/07/2020 at 15:05, Jus Lukin said:

I struggle to think of any extreme metal bands with brass of any sort, but certainly no-one playing the bugle in any of them. You may have a point there! 😉

I love 'em, especially the magma red ones from a few years back!

I've fairly recently sent a pretty comprehensive spec to a builder on here, so I'll keep it brief:
Through neck, short scale, headless, with a chambered body and three SIMS Super Quad pickups, 3 3-way switches for coil selection, 3 on/off switches but the one for the most neck-wards would have a third position to take it out to a separate jack for dual output, and then very simple passive controls, likely one of @KiOgon's kill/tone switches. The body shape would be along the lines of this, owned by @TheGreek...
1188799985_32HL.jpeg.992bea9b681f550dec0bd1e340e7c9b5.jpeg

I'm downsizing....make me an offer