Why become a member? ×

Bridge intonation screws?

Hi. 
im trying to restore an old bass, which has unfortunately got rusted intonation screws on two of the saddles.  
Ive managed to remove them from the bridge, but Ultimately I need to replace them. ive been searching around online, and on the phone to the local music shop, but no joy
does anyone have a reliable source without ordering from eBay/ China. 
Cheers 

Depending on type of bridge, maybe buying a cheap version of the same bridge would be cost effective. 

Or if you know the thread pitch and diameter just order replacement screws with the correct head, they don't have to be screws for a bass. 

Pictures would help. 👍

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

lots of fastner shops in UK on ebay... use em often for motorbike bits... swap em all for stainless A2... Intonation and bridge saddle etc... cheap enough... I ordered some saddle screws,  DOG end rather than CONE end... to sit better in the bridge channel, but big fingers and small phone meant i must of picked the wrong size... will order again for the sake of a couple of quid... assemble with a smear of vasaline or sewing machine / clipper oil... 

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

what bass is it? and where was it made? if it is USA then the threads will most likely be imperial, for most of the rest of the world they are likely to be Metric. either way there are plenty of sellers that will supply you with a suitable set for a very low price.

a thread gauge is the easiest way to check the exact spec but a good ruler can work just as well of your eyesight is good enough.

there are some reliable UK ebay sellers that i have used in the past, CH guitars, black dog music and northwest guitars all come to mind as ones i have used myself with no issues.

Matt

• Like 2

08BCFE64-1D21-4150-B6CA-7BFE09BE57F4.thumb.jpeg.826c30d4ad538a4a6ecae724ac0b16ce.jpeg

my eyesight is not good enough with a ruler unfortunately. 
it’s a metric screw, as it has come from a Korean built bc rich. 

thanks so much for the help thus far.
ive tried northwest guitars, ch and black dog, but can only find screws compatible for vintage instruments- ie imperial. 
I’m ideally looking for black ones as well 😉🤘

cheers

Different places give stuff different names but I'd start by searching ebay for 'pan head machine screws'.

It's hard to know what size (eg M2) by the picture but maybe buy the cheapest single standard M2 or M3 bolt you can to determine the thread size, and then order four black pan head machine screws in the correct size. 

• Like 1

hmm, having had a little google I'm getting stumped too,

the nearest i can find are these but they don't mention if they are metric or imperial.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-humbucker-pickup-screws-chrome-black-or-gold-Bulk-buy-and-save-4-10-or-50/371977562337?hash=item569b9728e1:g:5z8AAOSw9~5ZO4fu

or with springs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Guitar-humbucker-pickup-screws-and-springs-in-chrome-black-or-gold/392845073359?hash=item5b77641bcf:g:Ph8AAOSw09Ve7Zph

But-

i'm going to assume that  you want M3 x35mm probably (assuming you measured the total length rather than the thread length) the screws on one of my basses here (korean maybe Aria) are M3x40 and M3x35 (longer for the D and G)

so these should fit - (they are allen head but should work fine and are cheap enough that you can replace them all and have spares left over)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-BLACK-GRADE-10-9-STEEL-6mm-35mm-HEX-BUTTON-HEAD-MACHINE-SCREWS/152772320750?var=453718346071&hash=item2391f09dee:g:M3EAAOSwu4BVwe96

they are bare steel though so they might rust, a light smear of wd40 would help slow the rusting, or you could go for stainless steel instead, make sure the thread goes all the way to the head though.

Matt

• Like 1