Why become a member? ×

Mesa amps price cuts. No more middle man

fretmeister

On 04/08/2020 at 12:52, Al Krow said:

Cheers buddy - I did have a listen to the clips on the Mesa website but, for me, it loses a fair bit of "definition" which I guess is to be expected in video recording and online transmission. There is going to be a ton of compression going on in that process and the complex harmonic richness, which for me is the Mesa trademark goodness I'm looking for, is much harder to discern. Let me know if you can hear it coming through?

I had another listen and the demo’s still sound good.  I’m certainly feeling like I have a good idea of what the amp’s can do broadly speaking. I was hearing plenty of nuance and player character coming through on the wd800 video especially at the end when it was showing the rear panel features. The thumbed sound at the end of the TT demo sounded great too and the picked chords seemed to ring out nicely with plenty of clarity. It’s obviously no substitute to standing in front of an amp and cab and hearing it for oneself in the room. I dunno about harmonic richness (are you meaning in 2nd 3rd 5th order harmonics) but again A/B’ing with other heads would be fun!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/08/2020 at 18:21, agedhorse said:

Your amp is being built now!

Built on 4/8 and due for delivery on 25/11. Kudos to the chap who is, seemingly, walking it to the coast and then swimming across the Atlantic, to deliver it!! 😞

I had 3 gigs later this year and it won't be here for any of them.

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Haha 2

On 07/08/2020 at 08:31, krispn said:

I've never had direct dealings with Westside Distribution so have no idea what they're like to communicate with as a customer. . . . . . . . . . . People are rightly or wrongly giving Westside a hard time for the mark up but it happens with all manner of products all the time form cars to kitchens. We 'expect' to pay more for some brands and it's notable that the other product they distribute are rarely cited in these sorts of debate.

I had dealings with Westside when I had problems with my Mesa 400+, about 20 years ago. It all went through the Bass Centre in Wapping, but Westside were absolutely fine and responded well to all the communications.  As I remember all the decisions were taken in California and Westside did the work. I was a cash buyer and The Bass Centre wanted to give me a discount, but Mesa would let them. I don't buy that Westside are the "baddies" here.

On 05/08/2020 at 13:01, Chienmortbb said:

Can anyone tell me why I would buy an amp that, weven with the new pricing, is close to 2.5 times what I paid for my bass new?

Why should an amp be cheaper than a bass? The amp makes at least the same impact on all relevant audio variables, if not more. My rig - no longer Mesa I'm afraid to say - is worth around £2000, the most expensive bass I own is worth around £500. Whilst my technique is rubbish, I get a lot of compliments on my tone, which for me is what it's all about

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 1

On 30/09/2020 at 10:28, Steve Browning said:

Built on 4/8 and due for delivery on 25/11. Kudos to the chap who is, seemingly, walking it to the coast and then swimming across the Atlantic, to deliver it!! 😞

I had 3 gigs later this year and it won't be here for any of them.

I don't know what may have happened or why such delay, though there are constant shipping issues with inland freight at both ends, at the ports, on the water through customs and in destination transportation. I'm not making excuses, and I am truly sorry for your experience. I really do understand and appreciate your frustration. 

Edited by agedhorse
  • Like 3