Why become a member? ×

Sanding back the neck finish.

So.  Over the weekend, my wife tells me she'd like me to teach her how to play the bassline from The Cure's Lovecats.  OK, I say, which bass would she like to use.  She tells me she is happy with the old one (photo below), but remarked the glossy neck finish is 'sticky' so she went with a Lull ('too big') and eventually decided on a Spector.

On a whim, I decide the neck is sticky, so I locate some 240 grit finishing paper and sanded it off.  The decision took a couple of seconds, the sanding took a few minutes.  Dusted it off and lemon-oiled it.  Man alive.  What a difference; so much faster.

20190516_194721.thumb.jpg.a92c4c22627e679a7559b373c5fe06cb.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

So.  Over the weekend, my wife tells me she'd like me to teach her how to play the bassline from The Cure's Lovecats.  OK, I say, which bass would she like to use.  She tells me she is happy with the old one (photo below), but remarked the glossy neck finish is 'sticky' so she went with a Lull ('too big') and eventually decided on a Spector.

On a whim, I decide the neck is sticky, so I locate some 240 grit finishing paper and sanded it off.  The decision took a couple of seconds, the sanding took a few minutes.  Dusted it off and lemon-oiled it.  Man alive.  What a difference; so much faster.

20190516_194721.thumb.jpg.a92c4c22627e679a7559b373c5fe06cb.jpg

I think I’ve had less interest in all of my basses from my wife over the last 25 years. Mrs.NJ sounds like a keeper 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I think I’ve had less interest in all of my basses from my wife over the last 25 years. Mrs.NJ sounds like a keeper 😀

She's never played in her life, but has always loved The Cure (I think we've covered this elsewhere!). 

• Haha 1