Nut: 2 3/16”

Radius: 40” 

Body: Alder and Ash (layered), with Quilt Maple top and back

Neck: Maple 3 pcs

Fingerboard: Ebony

Bolt-on neck 

Hardware: Gold; Tuners have white perloid pegheads

Pickups: Alnico V hum cancelling

Electronics: Volume, Blend, 3 band EQ (+/- Treble Mid Bass) N.B. the mid control is continuous, as opposed to the 3-way rotary selector switch found on the earlier TRB JP model and other TRBs/BBs

Mother of Pearl and Abalone inlays, gloss finish

Purchased here on Basschat a number of years ago from the redoubtable TorVic, and gigged consistently since then. This has been my main bass, and it has come with me on tours, festivals, sessions and theatre work. It has never let me down. So...heavily gigged, but as you can see from its condition in the pics, well looked after. Truss rods (both) operate correctly, and the neck is without issue. Bridge adjusts correctly, and the electronics are all in perfect order. Frets are good, finish has some swirls on the back as you would expect from extensive gigging, but no dings. On the treble-side edge (the edge that contacts your leg if played in a seated position) there are two or three small nicks in the finish, and the same is true on the top edge of the headstock, where I've occasionally attached a TC Electronic Polytune Clip Tuner. Plastic cellophane is still on the control cavity plate. 

This is a world-class bass, arguably one of the best stock 6-ers available "off the peg". Made in Japan craftsmanship, premium woods, quality hardware; an absolute joy to play. I'm very sad to be letting it go.

Offering it to you at, I daresay, a bloody good price considering the amount of bass you get (it's a handful) and the eye-watering cost from new (have a look here if you dare): https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/TRBJP2-'John-Patitucci'-6-String-Bass-Guitar/pidYAM-TRBJP2-TDR

Sound/video: Considering the profile of its endorser, there is no shortage of opportunity to hear this model in action. There used to be a good video on the popular website www.youtube.com wherein Patitucci demo'd the bass himself, but this seems to have been replaced by one in which he's chatting throughout, and the bass can't really be heard. For a quick-and-dirty listen, I found this:

...which seems to capture the "quickness" of the Yamaha preamp quite well. Newcomers to Yammies might find that useful; old-handers will know what I'm talking about. 

The actual bass for sale can be heard here:

and you can go right ahead and excuse my sloppy playing throughout. 

Trades: thank you, no...I'm looking for a DSI Sequential Prophet Rev 2, so unless you have one of those lying around, I'm looking for a straight sale on this occasion. An older Stingray 5 might fit the bill. If it's Natural Ash/Rosewood. BUT THAT'S IT! Hahaha! 😝

Happy to include a generic (non OHSC) HSC - I think it's a Thomann hard shell case...if you want it, it's yours.

Shipping: it's obviously better for you to come and inspect it and try it out here in Elephant & Castle where you're more than welcome, but if that's not possible I can ship to you via your choice of courier at your additional expense, or, if it's a reasonable distance, hand deliver it to you in my car for a contribution to the fuel money, whichever is cheaper for you.

Many thanks for checking out the ad.

Cheers!

Edited by Giazonne Reyes
Title change: SOLD!
  • Like 4

Damn. You can't do this to me!!! I did not need to see this. Let me see if I can come up with the budget quicker than this getting snatched by someone else...

By the way: fantastic playing on the Camilo track! Anthony would be proud :P

Edited by akabane
  • Like 1

All PMs replied.

Many thanks for the lovely comments above guys! I'll group my replies together so as not to inadvertently spam or bump unnecessarily.

On 27/07/2020 at 08:43, binky_bass said:

Must. Resist. Temptation. 

Haha! You may consider this payback, sir, for the hand-wringing and temptation that your green neckthrough TRB6P caused me a few months back 😂 Best of luck with the house sale 👍

On 27/07/2020 at 16:41, Burns-bass said:

Amazing bass and some fantastic playing (horrid track, but that’s just personal preference)

Thanks man! (having buggered up the fiddyness of transcribing it and playing it, 100% can confirm it is indeed a horrid track! 😭 I love it though. Fight me.

On 27/07/2020 at 17:09, akabane said:

Damn. You can't do this to me!!! I did not need to see this. Let me see if I can come up with the budget quicker than this getting snatched by someone else...

By the way: fantastic playing on the Camilo track! Anthony would be proud :P

BIG BLUSH. That's made my day man, thank you. Though in seriousness, I'll need several lifetimes of study and experience to ever even get on the playing field with AJ, damn! Perhaps I'll work on my grimace/bass face instead. Re: the JP2, it seems we've had inverse journeys; I sold my Ken Smith BT6 (an old one) to be able to get this Yamaha. I couldn't financially swing having both at the same time, and they are quite different beasts with different strengths. But I massively regret letting my Smith go. Every time one comes up on here I'm telling myself that one day I'll put that mistake right!

On 28/07/2020 at 01:26, amadeusex said:

What a beauty ! GLWTS

And also: Great playing man !

Thank you sir 🙏

On 28/07/2020 at 10:30, NotAsGoodAsJaco said:

I don't even want a 6 string and i have an Ibanez BTB1825 for sale on here so why do i want it?! That's a good deal.

A gentleman of taste and discernment 😋

Cheers for the comments guys! Do please PM if you have any questions about the JP2.

Best wishes!

13 minutes ago, Giazonne Reyes said:

BIG BLUSH. That's made my day man, thank you. Though in seriousness, I'll need several lifetimes of study and experience to ever even get on the playing field with AJ, damn! Perhaps I'll work on my grimace/bass face instead. Re: the JP2, it seems we've had inverse journeys; I sold my Ken Smith BT6 (an old one) to be able to get this Yamaha. I couldn't financially swing having both at the same time, and they are quite different beasts with different strengths. But I massively regret letting my Smith go. Every time one comes up on here I'm telling myself that one day I'll put that mistake right!

That song I always wanted to learn, however it is one of those pieces one has to commit to paper transcription (as I see you've done) in order to get a lot of the nuances and keep executing them right! I was really happy to see you smashing it and with a killer tone at that :)

It's really interesting indeed how our journeys have been inverted!

I still remember fondly my time with my JP2 (although it was an Amber and not Red. Always thought the Red one looked the BEST, especially with the perloid tuners!) - was not a happy time when I had to let it go (needed the money, sigh). Then I fortunately came across my Smith, which is literally incredible. As you say though, they are completely different instruments with completely different sound profiles - and what I like about the JP2 is the aggressive and defined character it has. And that flat fretboard...sometimes I miss it with my radiussed Smith board. I probably got so used to it back then... :P

Same with you and Smiths, every time I see a JP2 on sale here I bite my tongue and disgruntly look at my expendable money supply. My problem is that I constantly fight my GAS with my "One in, one out" (for fretted instruments) rule - which would mean getting this = getting rid of the Smith...and I really can't do that ;)

But...I could get this off your hands...then start the hunt for a Smith 6 fretless..hmm...

*slaps himself* I need to stop gassing from this! I think it's also because I'm too close too you (you're in E&C, I'm in Brixton) and snatching this would mean one short uber drive...AAAAARGH! 🤣