Why become a member? ×

Female Musicians

fragility

Sorry, very badly phrased on my part and I’m not entirely sure I said that, must be sleep deprivation!

I’m just trying to get a few more songs which me and my husband like (which would very broadly cover those genres) into the family playlist, and put some performances/music videos on so we can play them a few times without complaint if that makes sense...and she will be happy to see women playing. We’re not picky at all, although the more I can expose her to real instruments being played, the better!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Why not? My kids used to get Black Sabbath sang to them as lullabies when they were babies. Some of the bass lines hummed gently really worked! 😊

Only because there's loads of great music that wouldn't necessarily be classed as any of those. 

Edited by adamg67
speling
  • Like 1

When my kids were 5 the theme tune for Dogtanian was a favourite, and Star Trekkin. I'd suggest sing-along tapes designed for that age group rather than trying to merge 2 totally different musical requirements.

Even today, we all sing along to Star Trekkin if it comes on the radio.

• Like 2

My experience of my friends trying to pass on 'good music' to their children always seems to end up the same way...

Nobody in the playground except DC knows the words to 'Cygnus X-1' or 'Everyone Thinks He Looks Daft', so it's 'Baby Shark' and 'Let It Go' that gets the most requests at home.

That said, good on the OP for going for female musicians compared with the sausage fest my friends seemed to want to be on the decks ! :) ;)

Edited by ahpook

Back in the 90s my guitarist was a dyed in the wool punk rocker but he surprised us all when his kids got into The Spice Girls as his (surprisingly mature) take on this was "I'm really happy -  they like music and are developing a passion".

I applied a similar view with my step daughter. I got her into Elvis and a few of my likes but didn't stress when she got into Little Mix. She was at primary age at the time and it's her journey. I would play along with her Little Mix songs which impressed her enough in terms of wanting to play an instrument. My long term goal is for her to appreciate Patti Smith but I'm confident she'll find her own way there with my role being a gentle steer, rather than to drag her kicking and screaming.

I say this as my father was an ex-pro jazz drummer and he pushed a little hard with me too early on. I still struggle with a lot of jazz.

6 minutes ago, Japhet said:

If my Mum had imposed her musical tastes on me I'd be listening to The Sound of Music and South Pacific . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . and I'd be listening to Percy Grainger, Russ Conway and Miki and Griff. They are on YouTube, if you want to see how close I came to musical beigeness! Thank goodness the Beatles came along and rescued us. Oh yes, and I'd have been an accountant (shudder!!), with apologies to those who didn't escape the accountancy net.

When you have kids you are invaded by an alien race. My parents had no idea what had happened or was going on. My only advice is to make sure the kids have a very wide circle of friends. These will be the people who will be the main influence in their lives.

To the OP, sorry, doesn't help much with the play list!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Japhet said:

If my Mum had imposed her musical tastes on me I'd be listening to The Sound of Music and South Pacific instead of Robin Trower and Meshell NdegeOcello. Just sayin'.

To be very clear, no intention of imposing anything, other than adding a few more songs that we like into the mix if she takes to any of them (and hopefully fill her head with a few more songs that might make her forget the questionable choice by her nursery to expose them to the crazy frog) I’d just like to get a bit more variety in for her to experience and enjoy and give her a few role models.

On 27/07/2020 at 12:16, Nail Soup said:

For a prog feel which is totally led by female, try Purson (now defuct).

Rosalie Cunningham sings, writes all songs and plays all instruments (bar bass and drums) on the records .

Bit of a strech from Disney, but up to you how/when to introduce.

Her first solo album has been out a while, worth a listen if you've not already got it.

• Like 1

KT Tunstall has a brilliant all female band. Great live stuff on YouTube.

The Big Moon are great, all female again. Saw them supporting the Pixies last year.

Mr. Tea and The Minions. Brilliant and great role models for kids. 

None really proggy of course but all good proper bands and definitely an 'in' for her. 👍

On 27/07/2020 at 00:14, hooky_lowdown said:

Not sure the OP would want their 5 year old to be introduced to L7, recalling a particular performance on channel 4s 'The Word' many moons ago. 🤣

"Moons" being the operative word...

Just now, Leonard Smalls said:

Not rock or prog, but one of the best keyboardists out there - here with microtonal Dave Fiucyznski on guitar, Hiromi Uehara:

I was put onto her a month ago. Amazing player and am enjoying her band with Anthony Jackson. 👏

2 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

I was put onto her a month ago. Amazing player and am enjoying her band with Anthony Jackson. 👏

Saw her live at Perugia Jazz Fest five years ago. Trouble is, as always with live, you're in the gods and they're little dots on the stage.  So apart from being able to say I was there and slept through most of it cos it was after midnight, it wopuld have been better on official video coverage.

• Like 1