Why become a member? ×

Female Musicians

fragility

I’m trying to gently steer my 5yo daughter to the more rock/prog/metal side of things from pure Disney (admittedly, I love a good bit of Disney too) I’m putting a few music videos and live performances on to try and make it as interesting as possible and I’m really aware of presenting some role models she can identify with. The whole boy/girl thing seems to be a really big deal at this age, so I’m keen to make sure we get some female representation in, but it’s not something I’ve ever thought of consciously that much.

So hit me with your favourite bands with female musicians to add to the playlist.

Gail Ann Dorsey was a mainstay of David Bowie’s band from the mid 90s onwards. She is a phenomenal bass player, no slouch as guitarist, superb singer, and cuts a striking figure on stage. On YT look for Reality Tour, Glastonbury 2000, BBC 2002.

EDIT: Some rock there but not prog or metal.

Edited by JapanAxe

What used to be called Indie music has a pretty good proportion of female artists. Try listening to 6 music for a day or two and should hear a lot of female solo, female fronted and all or mostly female bands. Try PINS, Porridge Radio, Hinds for example. Not really rock/prog though.... I’ll see if I can think of something that fits that.

Just now, hooky_lowdown said:

Not sure the OP would want their 5 year old to be introduced to L7, recalling a particular performance on channel 4s 'The Word' many moons ago. 🤣

That was horrific, and made my eyes bleed, I can still feel the burn - I apologise but take no responsibility 

2 hours ago, fragility said:

I’m trying to gently steer my 5yo daughter to the more rock/prog/metal side of things from pure Disney (admittedly, I love a good bit of Disney too) I’m putting a few music videos and live performances on to try and make it as interesting as possible and I’m really aware of presenting some role models she can identify with. The whole boy/girl thing seems to be a really big deal at this age, so I’m keen to make sure we get some female representation in, but it’s not something I’ve ever thought of consciously that much

She’s 5 ! Let her be a 5yr old. Lots of great current pop music she can identify with - way more than the creaking list of old women above - most are older than her nan! 

Car playlists are good way to mix her music and yours. My 8yr old daughter is a huge fan of Wengie (parents will know) but from long car journeys found some surprising gems she enjoys - Thundercat and the Prodigy. Sgt Pepper and Thriller have also gone down well with all my kids.  

• Like 9

8 hours ago, fragility said:

I’m trying to gently steer my 5yo daughter to the more rock/prog/metal side of things from pure Disney (admittedly, I love a good bit of Disney too) I’m putting a few music videos and live performances on to try and make it as interesting as possible and I’m really aware of presenting some role models she can identify with. The whole boy/girl thing seems to be a really big deal at this age, so I’m keen to make sure we get some female representation in, but it’s not something I’ve ever thought of consciously that much.

So hit me with your favourite bands with female musicians to add to the playlist.

My daughter is a bit younger but she loves the Trolls films. The first one got her in to some classic disco music and the sequel has a bit more rock. OK, it's not all original artists and words are changed but you can easily go "if you like that then you'll like this..." So Gwen Stefani plays the DJ in the first film which got my daughter dancing along to some No Doubt the other week. 

Other than that if she likes guitar music then anything that has Orianthi or Nita Strauss could be good. 

I would suggest Prince, as he had many women in his bands like Wendy and Lisa, Rhonda Smith, Ida Nielsen and so on.

I don't think we need to divide the scene purely to wo/men, there are many very interesting "collaborations". Oleta Adams has incredible voice that is supported by some musicians. Esperanza Spalding sings and plays bass... how about Spice Girls, and take a look at Alissia Benveniste and her band:

I think that it is reasonable as well as important to show that wo/men are equally good as musicians/leaders/composers/etc. but I also like the idea of equality over separation/segregation. Yes, I do come from a family and country where people are already quite equal. There is still work, yes, but we have had a woman as a president and a prime minister, so some glass ceilings have already been broken.

I'd stick with Disney. Kids tastes will change in their own good time or they may not even like music at all. My older two, now in their early 20s, have never shown any great interest in music though my son was into Fiddy Cent when he was younger but I never tried to put him off

• Like 2