Why become a member? ×

How much music do you actually listen to?

TheGreek

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

As I've gotten older, I don't feel I have the time or inclination to invest in new music, which really saddens me, and would prefer to listen to (older) music that makes me feel warm and fuzzy rather than spending an age trying to find something groundbreaking.

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I also listen on random, which i the way I like it as background, but the older I get the more new music I am happy to listen to. When I was young it was much more restrictive.

The one thing I'd add here is that when I listen to newly released music (or stuff that's new to me), it doesn't stick with me like the stuff I listened to when I was a teenager.  I'd put this wholly on it being an age thing...it's almost like an alzheimer thing, sufferers remembering things from decades ago, but not remembering their short term memory.

A few days back, I listened to some Sweet stuff (Sweet F*nny Adams/Desolation Boulevard/Strung Up); these albums are burned on my psyche and I know thems inside out; conversely while I was never really a fan of XTC back in the day (great singles), I have grown to love them over the last few years, but only the singles (Nigel/Towers etc.) have actually stuck with me  because I knew them in my teens.  I suppose this is just my reasoning about investing too much time into newer music; I'm never really going to remember it, if that makes sense.

20 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

The one thing I'd add here is that when I listen to newly released music (or stuff that's new to me), it doesn't stick with me like the stuff I listened to when I was a teenager.  I'd put this wholly on it being an age thing...it's almost like an alzheimer thing, sufferers remembering things from decades ago, but not remembering their short term memory.

I agree, it certainly takes longer to go it, although also depends how catchy it is.

So when it is new and uncatchy sometimes it abjectly refuses to go in. The band wanted to play some song by.. um.. someone I cant even remember that now, and I listened to it. It just won't go in. OK, its not very good anyway and I have no idea why anyone would want to listen to it let alone play it, but it just will not stick.

BUt I can write it down and at least if I start on the right note i might remember it when it gets going

eta: Kaspian, fire. I can write it all down, easy enough to figure out as I am going along.

Edited by Woodinblack

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

A few days back, I listened to some Sweet stuff (Sweet F*nny Adams/Desolation Boulevard/Strung Up); these albums are burned on my psyche and I know thems inside out; conversely while I was never really a fan of XTC back in the day (great singles), I have grown to love them over the last few years, but only the singles (Nigel/Towers etc.) have actually stuck with me  because I knew them in my teens.  I suppose this is just my reasoning about investing too much time into newer music; I'm never really going to remember it, if that makes sense.

Surely the important bit is that you enjoy it when listening to it, not whether you can remember it? One of my favourite bands is Tangerine Dream. They’ve done something like 160 albums. Even if I got to listen to them all (highly unlikely) I’d never remember them all, particularly given the nature of the music. But I love listening to TD. 

At home and work I've pretty much always got music on. I mostly leave it on a local jazz and blues station at work, and then just go through my cd's at home cause a lot of them aren't really appropriate for a work environment.

I love music and listen to it every day. I try and play every day, these days.

I'll listen to almost anything. I sometimes listen to Radio 1,  and I'm sometimes surprised by something really good, usually disappointed how nearly good most of it is.

I struggle with Radio 2. When I was a kid they played the 'pop' music your parents used to listen to and gave a home to obscure folk/jazz. Today, they seem to focus on playing the music that no-one wants to hear. I say put Lisa Tarbuck, Steve Wright and Elaine Page on top of a Falcon Heavy and accidentally send them to Venus instead of Mars...

... and they can take their prosecco with them...

Edited by Stub Mandrel

2 minutes ago, ahpook said:

This thread has made me make more of an effort to listen to more music.

And appreciate silence more as well.

Just because I like listening to music doesn't mean I don't like silence. I love silence. Its just not something I get to experience too much.

22 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Just because I like listening to music doesn't mean I don't like silence. I love silence. Its just not something I get to experience too much.

Total silence no, I've only experienced that a couple of times - fair point that it's hard to come by.

The gaps then, then things that make sounds end and begin.

Edited by ahpook

I can't listen to music 'casually' anymore. I only listen to stuff related to what I play - I prefer silence to music that doesn't interest me. I know that might sound snobbish, but it isn't meant to be - I envy people who can enjoy a soundtrack to their lives. I've never switched the radio in my current car on - I haven't even looked at how to do it, it simply doesn't interest me at all.

It's quite some time since I've listened to anything except the Grateful Dead. I get great pleasure from listening to the many different live versions of their material, and different combinations of songs.

I rarely listen to music unless I am playing along to it or trying to work what Phil Lesh is doing. Just listening to the radio or random music (or TV and its constant chatter)  drives me nuts, though.

Now silence, I can take a lot of. Not sure if that's because I spent years in Finland or why I spent years in Finland, but I learnt to appreciate the many surptly different types of silence when I lived there and still do so. 99%  of the time, I prefer the sound of the wind or the rain, or just listen to the music streaming through my head that no one else can hear. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I can't listen to music 'casually' anymore...

This, to a 'T' (well, not the Finland bit, obviously, although rural France can be quiet, too...). I prefer listening to 'From The Mars Hotel' in my head than any radio station. :friends:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Total silence no, I've only experienced that a couple of times - fair point that it's hard to come by.

I was in Death Valley once, at a sort of turning space on the road down to the valley. We stopped and I walked out the edge. There was no sound, like none. Then there was the sound of the inside of my own head, like hissing and rushing sound, the sound of existence. 

Then a bird flew past making an awful racket with its wings moving the air, and broke the silence.

That was the quietest I have known. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

It's quite some time since I've listened to anything except the Grateful Dead. I get great pleasure from listening to the many different live versions of their material, and different combinations of songs.

Now that is something I couldn't do, like listen to just one group (not meaning specifically the Grateful Dead - I don't think I know any of their tracks), even if I liked that group a lot. It would just drive me up the wall. But then I have an incredibly short attention span. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Now that is something I couldn't do, like listen to just one group (not meaning specifically the Grateful Dead - I don't think I know any of their tracks), even if I liked that group a lot. It would just drive me up the wall. But then I have an incredibly short attention span. 

Me neither, and I have a very good attention span. I like far too many different types of music that no one band does. 

• Like 1

Just now, Woodinblack said:

Excelent - I will go and check what their prog, pop and classical stuff is like then!

That'll take you a fair while; they have all of that and more..! (Although Mozart's classical repertoire is more extensive still 9_9...)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 26/07/2020 at 18:43, dave_bass5 said:

I tend not to listen to music for pleasure. I just don’t find enough time to do it. We have Absolute radio on at home a lot of the time,  but other than that and maybe YT on my ipad i dont have privatetime to put music on, unless I’m learning songs. 

I’d say over the past 15+ years most of my music listening has been learning those songs. 

Must have been sad being you for the past 15 years :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akabane said:

Must have been sad being you for the past 15 years :(

We all have different priorites and relationship with music.

I think one of the interesting things about this thread is that clear indication that there is no 'normal'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I think one of the interesting things about this thread is that clear indication that there is no 'normal'

Absolutely agreed! And there shouldn't be any 'normal', we're all different people. :)

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I find it interesting that so many people who are members of this forum, therefore bass players and musicians, don't listen to music.

8 minutes ago, ubit said:

I find it interesting that so many people who are members of this forum, therefore bass players and musicians, don't listen to music.

I wonder how many followers of football actually play..? Or F1 enthusiasts race their cars..? Playing an instrument (or even being a musician...) doesn't mean one listens to any music, just some music. How many here, whilst listening to so much music, actually put Schubert, or Mozart, into their sound systems..? These things are not related; I'm not at all surprised. :| 

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

It just so happens that the Grateful Dead cover a very wide spectrum indeed of musical styles..! :lol:

Er......not really, not in my terms. 😂 I’m not sure where the prog, pop and classical fits in, unless in jest. Everything I’ve listened to just sounds like variations on a theme of The Grateful Dead. Which is fine, if you like The Grateful Dead. 😉

I had a two day Dead-a-thon the other week, trying desperately to get into them for the umpteenth time. I failed. Again. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ubit said:

Until lockdown, I didn’t listen to a great deal anymore because I was too involved in writing and creating it. Listening to it had become a bit of a busman’s holiday.