Why become a member? ×

How much music do you actually listen to?

TheGreek

When I was younger, music was a huge factor in my life - get up in the morning put some music on, worked in places where the radio was always on, when I got home from work, putting some music on was my first priority - rarely used to put the TV on.

Now it seems the only time I regularly listen to music is in the car or on YouTube in reception at work. Now when I get home from work I rarely listen to music.

Fact is, for me, music isn't as important as it once was - there is very little "modern" stuff that I actually like, and that I do listen to is far from "mainstream". Put on something that currently in the charts I wouldn't have a clue who it is. I love finding "old school" that I haven't heard before.

So I listen to less music and limit the genres. In fact, I'd say "I've lost the love"....

Anybody else???

• Like 2

Nope, for me it is essential. I do listen to less than I used to because my wife doesn't like things she doesn't like. I will listen to radio 6 or something, accepting that there is some songs on there I don't like, but there will be something later I do, that doesn't work for her, as soon as a track comes on she doesn't like it goes off and doesn't go on again. But when I am on my own I listen to music all the time.

I remain loyal to my favourite classical composers (Schubert, Bruckner, Mozart et al...), and the bands I appreciated at the time (Fairports, Airplane, Grateful Dead, Spirit et el...). I often give some time to stuff indicated on this Forum as being worth a shot, especially played by Forum members, and the stuff I've actually bought in the last few years comes exclusively from these sources. Most stuff, though, I don't give a second listen, and even more I wouldn't even give house-room to (most funk, disco, reggae, edm; in fact anything with a big 'one, one, one, one...' beat...). Old School, me..? Quite definitely..! :|

Used to be more 'TheGreek'... Marriage then kids priorties change, Motorbikes and Music take more of a backseat and more 'Woodinblack' My music has taken back off from where it stopped, except for thd likes of the Black Keys or Muse... but hardly a modern thing...

Now, eldest is older... taken on my CD collection, so more in the car CD amd Radio XFM or other..., im using a simple Sony Mp3 and headphones for a music fix, steal an hour or so when i can, same goes for the motorbike... full-on hi fi emergance experiance in the lounge is long gone...

Edited by PaulThePlug

I’m currently sitting in front of 56 feet of shelving, 90% full of CDs. I’m listening to a CD album - La Croix D’Amour by Dwight Yoakam - on hi-fi separates. I try to sit down and listen to an album like this every couple of days or so.

Before lockdown I used to spend my hour-each-way commuter drive listening to albums on my iPod, but now I spend more time playing/practising than I do listening.

I still buy CDs fairly regularly, but the more I get, the less time I will have to listen to them in whatever remains of my life (I am nearer the end than the beginning). At some point I need to thin out the less good stuff and concentrate on the great stuff. Trouble is, even a poor album usually contains a track or two that I enjoy.

l’ve rambled there, but the short answer is YES.

• Like 1

Music has always been my main passion. I listen to music every day probably more now than when I was younger as I have a better sound system. Friday night is our drink a few glasses of wine and do nothing but listen to music night. In the car my stereo is always on with my phone blue toothed and on random.

I love hearing new bands and like new music as much as the bands I grew up with, so you music IS my life!

TV news, Five Live while I’m waking up and an hour of Spooks rerun in the evening is about it these days. Occasionally a fellow muso will send me a YouTube to listen to but I’m valuing silence a lot these days. Sad, I know, but there it is.

• Like 1

I am listening to more music these days, mainly as a way of improving my playing on the guitar, bass, banjo and now on my new Greek bouzouki! Also in a house where there are two moody /arsey/ glum/ grim/snarky/demanding/self-centred teenage girls, listening to and playing music is a refuge. Eventually, once they've p1$$ed off for good, me and my good lady can then move abroad. A Greek island is my #1 choice so by that time I hope I can be a bouzouki wiz. In the meantime, luckily I have a narrowboat where I shall be escaping to next week for a break, where I can listen to whatever I like and as loud as I like, so long as I don't annoy the neighbours!

Less than I did, I changed job roles in May and previously I could listen to music pretty much uninterrupted whilst I worked, now I'm lucky to get more than 2 minutes before someone wants me.

I also got into a couple of Podcasts, so much of my commute is now spent listening to murder or mythology, rather than music.

Dog walks are good for listening to music though.

We have the radio on a lot, sometimes all day, until we settle in front of the TV (I don’t know why we do this as it’s mostly 💩). It tends to be Planet Rock and some of the newer stuff is top notch (I’m really liking Stone Broken at the moment). We’ll change to Absolute 80s if something particularly dire comes on (The Doors, any Jim Steinman production or Kiss spring to mind - YMMV). I’ll listen to all sorts on Spotify when I’m doing some gardening or just sitting in the sun.

I listen to spotify at home when I'm doing something else ( the discover Weekly is good, mostly) and some oldies station in the car when talk radio gets on my nerves, can't remember the last time I put a CD or LP on and just sat and listened to it, I get bored after about 5 minutes, occasionally I'll try something like 6 music but I like so little of it it soon gets switched off.

So I do listen to quite a lot of music but not much I don't already know

I tend not to listen to music for pleasure. I just don’t find enough time to do it. We have Absolute radio on at home a lot of the time,  but other than that and maybe YT on my ipad i dont have privatetime to put music on, unless I’m learning songs. 

I’d say over the past 15+ years most of my music listening has been learning those songs. 

I have Spotify on all day at work - got a 1200 song playlist with everything on there from Hiromi to Scientist, from Vivaldi to Flock of Seagulls, Coltrane to Kraftwerk... And at home I usually have the radio on with 6 Music; actually putting on an album is rarer now even though I've got 1000+ - I occasionally ask the smartradiothingy to play one while I'm cooking.

Most of the music I listen to comes from the radio. I have Radio 3 on during the day as it's the radio station that has the least talking. I can't abide DJs talking all the time. In some ways I think R3 plays the widest range of music of any station I've come across.

When I need a change (or when they lay the opera on too thick), I'll change over to whatever my foreign language station du jour is. Currently it's DubaiNow, it used to be a French language station. I'm no polyglot, but the chatter us easier to ignore if you can't understand it.

As for recorded music, I go through patches when I'll put albums on  (almost never individual songs - I listen to the whole album, not bits of them), or decide to buy some music to check out something new, but it's usually bought 2nd hand. I don't use Spotify or any streaming service like that.

One thing worth sharing - I find it very hard to concentrate on anything else when I actually listen to music (or hear conversation) , I certainly can't read, so it sort of limits when I can enjoy it.

I used to listen to a lot more music when I was younger, but not as much now. So it goes.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ahpook said:

One thing worth sharing - I find it very hard to concentrate on anything else when I actually listen to music (or hear conversation) , I certainly can't read, so it sort of limits when I can enjoy it.

I think that is the difference I have with my wife. If there is music she can't concentrate on anything else. I cant concentrate on what I am doing unless there is music, I use music at work to blot out the people so I can get stuff done. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ahpook said:

This! ☝🏻
I have to put time aside to listen to music. I cannot concentrate on anything else if music is on, work, reading, conversations. I can’t listen to music to go to sleep to as I’m thinking about what I’ve listened to, it actually stimulates my brain rather than relaxes it. I don’t listen to it in the car either. I get completely absorbed by what’s going on, production, lyrics, structure, instrumentation, harmony, melody, everything. It’s not helpful in social situations. 
I wish I could ignore it when it’s on, or just enjoy it in the background, but I can’t. You’re the first person I’ve heard describe the same thing. 
Radio is usually speech, news and sport. 
Thankfully my kids enjoy music all the time, so they’re not plums like their old man. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I think that is the difference I have with my wife. If there is music she can't concentrate on anything else. I cant concentrate on what I am doing unless there is music, I use music at work to blot out the people so I can get stuff done. 

I'm thoroughly envious of people who can blot out extraneous noise and concentrate. If I can even hear the slightest hint of conversation or music then I can't concentrate.

3 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

I wish I could ignore it when it’s on, or just enjoy it in the background, but I can’t. You’re the first person I’ve heard describe the same thing.

I'm not glad you have a similar bugbear, but glad I'm not the only one !

(If that makes sense  !!)

It used to be a lot. I’m currently on maternity leave, but normally on my way to and from work,  and whenever I can sneak a bit in the day (double blessing as people see the headphones and assume I’m on a conference call and leave me alone 😂). It’s lessened a bit over the past 3 years, I think mostly because I’ve been through some highly traumatic experiences and for the first time ever, music doesn’t even make it slightly better, so I don’t have the same connection I once did. I also think there is just too much choice with Spotify etc and I don’t have the same experience of carefully selecting something. I also really miss the days of an anticipated album being released and sitting down with the CD and doing nothing but listen to it. 

These days, it’s mostly Disney songs with the kids and just starting to try and get the eldest into some proper music...actually, I’m going to start a thread or two on a similar topic.

• Like 1

Actually picking out an LP to listen to doesn't  happen as much as when I was younger... maybe one or two per week.

I don't have a rcord/CD player so it's in the car or MP3 player.

The rest of the time it's radio shows... downloaded or live.. mainly 6 Music, plus Radio 2 folk show and Blues show most weeks.

but in  lockdown I listed to much more 6 music.... get to know the playlist songs really well!

The other source is youtube reccomendations, such as a fcebooks chanels, Basschat threads, youtube links and so on.

Listen to a lot of spoken word nowadys too. I cut back on TV to priorise music, and try to consume at least one hour of music per day.

37 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I'm thoroughly envious of people who can blot out extraneous noise and concentrate. If I can even hear the slightest hint of conversation or music then I can't concentrate.

That's it though, I can't blot out conversation,  but music just washes through me and more importantly, covers up conversation, which is why I need it at work as one of my coworkers makes it his life's ambition to make noise, he talks to himself and constantly eats, with all eating noises external. I can't actually deal with that at all

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 2