Why become a member? ×

Belated NBD - 1966 Fender Jazz - Bravewood restoration

Kazan

Also posted this on Talkbass but want to here on Basschat as this is where I bought the bass back in January (from @electriccheese in Spain https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/348045-1966-fender-jazz-bass-sold/?tab=comments#comment-3824185 )  - a 'hippy refin' with the body stripped to natural (fortunately not sanded or reshaped in the process). The headstock had also been refinished but the back of the neck and heel still had the original finish (some light nitro overspray) and all parts are original down to the covers, tug bar and case. Will note that it has a nice thin C profile, very low action after a prior 'ski jump' repair and comes in at 8.5 lbs. I had it sent directly to Bravewood and had him restore - going for Fiesta Red faded to coral pink (or akin to some of the mythological 'Selmer refins' some of which tended to the flamingo pink shade) - though it turned out pretty much dead on to the hyper-rare Fender Tahitian Coral - over sunburst. I had an original '65 white guard which I sent as well (John fixed the broken tips). John did an amazing job removing some of the overspray and blending in the new finish on the back of the headstock with the old finish on the back of the neck. Really difficult to see any transition.
Just showed up here a few days ago. Super pleased with John's work and the bass itself.
Set up and playability is crazy good.

With gratitude to Basschat!

IMG_20200724_091825.jpeg

IMG_20200723_142003.jpeg

IMG_20200723_103810.jpeg

IMG_20200724_094656.jpeg

tb jb 5.png

IMG_20200724_093917.jpeg

tb jb7.jpeg

Edited by Kazan
Added info
  • Like 10

6 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Awesome colour. I wonder if limelight could do something similar.

I’ve tried a few Limelights and have three vintage Fenders that were worked on by John. I have to say the Bravewoods are in a completely different league... they are more expensive of course, but a bargain for what you get IMHO.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, therealting said:

I’ve tried a few Limelights and have three vintage Fenders that were worked on by John. I have to say the Bravewoods are in a completely different league... they are more expensive of course, but a bargain for what you get IMHO.

I agree - was just trying to be 'politic' and not say. Similar with Nash, most of which make me wince (and have the context of having had about 20 original pre-CBS basses at various times in the past - as well as having worked in a vintage guitar shop). I'd second that I think Bravewood's prices are very low relative to the quality.

Edited by Kazan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, therealting said:

I completely agree (although I’ve only ever seen pictures of both). But I thought John had stopped building relics and was focussing on restorations only. Bravewood seem to be an improvement on Fender Custom Shop whereas I think limelight is at the Fender Road worn level. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

I completely agree (although I’ve only ever seen pictures of both). But I thought John had stopped building relics and was focussing on restorations only. Bravewood seem to be an improvement on Fender Custom Shop whereas I think limelight is at the Fender Road worn level. 

He still builds just not to order. He has a stunner of a '61-'62 type blonde Jazz Bass on his for sale page right now. If it was not for all my gigs being cancelled over COVID I would buy it in a heartbeat!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GuyR said:

Whichever colour, it is a bargain in comparison with Fender CS. Higher quality and more convincing finish at half the price.

No joke. Amazing to me so many details the CS stuff still gets wrong after so many years - which John gets much better.. And the horribly obvious Freon checking/crazing on the CS basses completely puts me off. John's checking really looks right.

6 hours ago, Kazan said:

No joke. Amazing to me so many details the CS stuff still gets wrong after so many years - which John gets much better.. And the horribly obvious Freon checking/crazing on the CS basses completely puts me off. John's checking really looks right.

The finishing on the back of the neck is my main issue with CS.

The Bravewood looks and feels just like a pre cbs example. The CS looks like someone got busy with the belt sander, which I guess is not unadjacent to the truth. It amazes me that they can't do better. My light relic CS is ok though, just a little wear on the neck, but still looks completely contrived. Sadly, I was won over by the tarty good sparkle body, so overlooked the mediocre unconvincing neck finish. Still a delight to play. I just need to use it for 30 years and hope. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GuyR said:

Sadly, I was won over by the tarty good sparkle body

I actually floated the idea of silver sparkle ala Buck Owens for this one but John said he'd never done sparkle and didn't have the set up for it.