Why become a member? ×

Scott's giveaway dilemma

lownote

Ok, the bass gods are kind and you enter and win Scott's latest competition. So you are now the owner of a Fender worth either £7000 or $10000.

What do you do? Do you gig with it? Or keep it under the bed.  Or do you sell it PDQ to pay off bills, buy a Porsche and maybe slide a new Sire into the frame?  If the latter, would you get anything like its 'worthness'?. And if you did sell it, would you until the end of time regret having to say "I had a 65 P bass, once, briefly".

Not easy.  Hope I don't win, too many problems.  

Edited by lownote12
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Ok, the bass gods are kind and you enter and win Scott's latest competition. So you are now the owner of a Fender worth either £7000 or $10000.

Is it one of the great sounding pre-CBS Precisions?

The problem is you now own a bass which is an appreciating asset. Do you play it or put it away and watch the value increase day by day. I'd keep it safe and just take it out for special gigs.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t enter that - or any - competition unless I wanted the prize. If I had said bass I doubt I’d gig it but I’d play it at home (all this said if I didn’t get on with it I’d probably move it on though).

• Like 1

In all honestly, win it, ebay it straight away (or sell it wherever). Get myself something nice and still have some money left over. A vintage fender isn't anything I am interested in, they all have 4 strings, the jazz isn't a nice colour and P necks aren't nice.

But there is an alpher custom I would get if I had the money, so I guess that is where it would go.

• Like 1

Get it refinished in pristine poly, re-fretted with stainless steel and Plek’d, chuck a bridge on it that doesn’t rag your hands to pieces and re-wire it with a hot pickup. Then gig it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'd sell it and use the money to rent some thugs to send round to Scott's house and "gently persuade" him to remove me from his email list. 

Seventy thirteen spamming emails a week is more than one man can endure. 

If only there was an unsubscribe button on the emails!

• Like 1