Why become a member? ×

Wal build times / build times in general

40hz

I waited nearly two years for both of mine (2015 and 2017 builds). The wait was forgotten the second they arrived 🙂

As some others have mentioned it really is a small operation. Last time I visited I understand the turn out was a couple of instruments a month.

Im lucky enough to have owned some wonderful basses over the years, and I know it all comes down to personal preference in the end, but I’ve not owned a better bass than the Wals Paul built for me.

Its also worth mentioning what a stand up guy Paul is... A real passion for the marque and just a generally nice bloke... Always gives me a lift back to the station whenever I’ve had cause to drop off / pick anything up 🙂

No one needs an £8k bass, but if you’re in the market for a high end new build I highly doubt you would every regret placing that order 🙂

Edited by CamdenRob
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve never really followed Wal’s, but there’s certainly some stunners in a few other threads, how are they for holding their value?  What I’m thinking is , if I ordered one for example for 8k and it took 3 years to complete , if I really liked it I would keep it, but if for some reason It wasn’t for me, would I get my money back if I sold it on 

Back in the days when a new one was £5k and second hand was £2.5-3k, I used to say “one thing’s for certain, buy second and you’ll not only break even but make on the deal if you do sell.” Its so hard to know how things will go with current crazy second hand prices - some listed recently than more than the new price. I guess that these days sellers are effectively pricing in the value of jumping the queue by 3 years, as well as any reflection of the intrinsic second hand value/desirability of the bass.

Where can second hand prices go from here? They’re already pretty insane. But that’s market forces for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine was £740 in early 80's. A Flame Sycamore lined fretless. I traded it because it had a dead spot on the G string. When i contacted WAL they didn't really want to know and weren't helpful. That put me off them but that was the old days and i had a lack of knowledge of what can cause a dead spot. Maybe something daft like a saddle or string issue altho i did try different types of strings at the time.

I tried living with it but it just annoyed me no end.

Loved the feel and tone tho. Really gorgeous looking bass as well.

1986761649_95608395_1914078745390556_8442855378273697792_o(4).jpg.839aa9a1c35c2b1f283dbeb9db66827f.jpg

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, CamdenRob said:

Its also worth mentioning what a stand up guy Paul is... A really passion for the marque and just a generally nice bloke... Always gives me a lift back to the station whenever I’ve had cause to drop off / pick anything up 🙂

Absolutely agree. Paul’s a really nice person whose desire is to build really high quality, unique basses - no compromise. 

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

and I'm sure it's deliberate policy not to expand or outsource

Yup, Paul’s not interested in the corporate “dream”. When he left Wal the first time it was to set up as an independent sole luthier hand building hollow bodied jazz guitars... he’s in it for the craft, not the cash!

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Has anyone in Manchester/NW area got one? When “lockdown 3 - back to lockdownia” is over I wouldn’t mind a closer look/trial before I decide on ordering new or buying used and living with it for a bit before investing £7000-£8000 in something my kids will probably sneeze on...

Well, if you fancied a trip down the M6 and M40 if we ever manage to have another SE Bass Bash there will definitely be a couple or more there which you’d be welcome to have a go on!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Mine was £740 in early 80's. A Flame Sycamore lined fretless. I traded it because it had a dead spot on the G string. When i contacted WAL they didn't really want to know and weren't helpful. That put me off them but that was the old days and i had a lack of knowledge of what can cause a dead spot. Maybe something daft like a saddle or string issue altho i did try different types of strings at the time.

I tried living with it but it just annoyed me no end.

Loved the feel and tone tho. Really gorgeous looking bass as well.

1986761649_95608395_1914078745390556_8442855378273697792_o(4).jpg.839aa9a1c35c2b1f283dbeb9db66827f.jpg

Mine was late 80s and was a Paduak top. Princely sum of £989 from The Bass Centre. And this was when a Warwick Thumb was about £1,600! Oh how I wish I’d kept it seeing what they go for now...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I was at Powys Castle in August 

I'm about 40 minutes from there. And I've got a slightly battered (by me, over the last 30odd years!) Custom - if you're in the area you can have a go! And just to make you really sick I bought it from Allbang and Strummit (RIP!) in Covent Garden for £500 in about 1989...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

Mine was late 80s and was a Paduak top. Princely sum of £989 from The Bass Centre. And this was when a Warwick Thumb was about £1,600! Oh how I wish I’d kept it seeing what they go for now...

My Warwick Thumb was approx £1200 in 89 when i bought it from Sound Control Glasgow. Bass Centre had a sale on at £980 and i challenged them that i could just get it from Bass Centre so they gave me it for £980. 

Its the longest i've ever had a bass and after playing it yesterday for a while i don't ever see me selling it.

Its simply glorious to play with its very slim neck and low action with that classic Warwick growl.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

My Warwick Thumb was approx £1200 in 89 when i bought it from Sound Control Glasgow. Bass Centre had a sale on at £980 and i challenged them that i could just get it from Bass Centre so they gave me it for £980. 

Its the longest i've ever had a bass and after playing it yesterday for a while i don't ever see me selling it.

Its simply glorious to play with its very slim neck and low action with that classic Warwick growl.

Dave

The early Thumbs are some of my favourite basses, although for some reason I’ve never owned one. That’s something I’d like to put right one day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

The early Thumbs are some of my favourite basses, although for some reason I’ve never owned one. That’s something I’d like to put right one day.

2nd hand they are a lot of bass for the money especially with the types of wood used. Bubinga and Wenge.

As you say the early ones are by far superior basses IMHO. The necks are sublime.

Not sure i'd buy a new one these days.

Anyway best not hijack the WAL thread.

Dave

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I never liked the Warwicks. Wanted to but never got on with them.

Having had both i'd agree they are quite different in feel and tones available.

For me its all about that WAL tone and that's the main reason i'd buy another one. I do like that classic WAL tone.

Goes without saying they are generally exceptionally well built basses.

Dave

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

I never liked the Warwicks. Wanted to but never got on with them.

There are loads of different Warwicks with lots of different feels, neck sizes, body shapes & tones, to be fair. An ‘88 Thumb, for instance, is very little like one from 10 years later, and is nothing like Streamer or a Corvette, for instance, which will all also vary greatly depending on the period. My 2 Dolphin Pro 1s, a ‘96 and a ‘91, were chalk and cheese. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Having had both i'd agree they are quite different in feel and tones available.

For me its all about that WAL tone and that's the main reason i'd buy another one. I do like that classic WAL tone.

Goes without saying they are generally exceptionally well built basses.

Dave

I believe the standard now is better than it was. There were things I liked about both of mine, but the build quality wasn’t one of those things. The fingerboard on my Custom turned out not to have been levelled correctly from new, and the general build quality was fairly rustic at best on both of them.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

It's been over twenty years since I played a Warwick so my opinion ain't worth shinola.

Its approx 35yrs since i had my WAL but i do remember how i loved that tone and that the bass was really well made compared to any other i had tried. Apart from the possible dead spot 😂

Dave

12 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its approx 35yrs since i had my WAL but i do remember how i loved that tone and that the bass was really well made compared to any other i had tried. Apart from the possible dead spot 😂

Dave

By the time I got my Custom I’d already had a Pedulla, which I felt was noticeably better made, and by the time I got my Pro I’d had numerous modern boutiques. My custom Alembic made my Pro look like I’d made it.😉 The Pro sounded great though. 

• Like 1