Why become a member? ×

Wal build times / build times in general

40hz

I owned a 5 string mk2 Custom Wal and then replaced it with an impressive mk3 for a few years and loved it. After I moved genres from originals to rock/blues/Americana it didn't seem to get used much. I sold it to pay for the new patio. I'd love to have it back, but it would be played even less these days. I have nice memories but, these days, I couldn't sink that much cash into a bass for it to sit in a case.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I owned a 5 string mk2 Custom Wal and then replaced it with an impressive mk3 for a few years and loved it. After I moved genres from originals to rock/blues/Americana it didn't seem to get used much. I sold it to pay for the new patio. I'd love to have it back, but it would be played even less these days. I have nice memories but, these days, I couldn't sink that much cash into a bass for it to sit in a case.

Who did you bury under the patio, Chris?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

So they’re £6500 now, starting price, also...the finish I’d be after would be extra

£500 deposit to get in the queue
£1500 when you’re 2 years away from finished. (That’s when they tell you what you’ll actually pay).
£1500 when you’re a year or so off.
Balance upon completion.

my brain is sweating 

Bargain when Ken Smiths are now £8k at bass direct! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Bargain when Ken Smiths are now £8k at bass direct! 

Forgive me for being unclear...

My brain is sweating because somewhere in my twisted NEED/want for a Wal, I’ve somehow justified the broken down costings in my head.

I have to budget in for bribery/shoes and jewels for Mrs T who obviously deserves compensation for the added costs since her original agreement...

• Haha 2

It sounds to me some old codger@ Wal is hand winding the pups and dropping the spool. Don't they sell these thingys@ Wal-Mart? Seriously I bought a Chapman Stick, they are all hand-made by Emmett for 4GrandUS he said 9 months I had it in 8. I wonder about you guys sometimes. I played Percy's Wal when we opened for his band he played my fretless P bass he liked my bass I loved the Wal but gheesh...

• Like 1

3 years is too long for me for any build, but some people do choose to wait! 

ACG made my last bass - it was half the price of a Wal and was built in 9 months start to finish all by Alan himself. While 'the Wal tone' is unique, my ACG is nothing short of spectacular and has a lot of excessive options too (buckeye top, camphor back, highest spec pups/pre, set neck etc)

If you HAVE to have a Wal, then you pay up and you wait, whereas if you want an exceptional instrument for far less money and far less of a wait then there are certain other very very good options to consider.

• Like 1

I love my '86 Wal (Mk I Custom Fretless) but a new one is the other side of a lottery win, I am afraid. I sometimes find it helpful to remember that we should be all about the music not the gear and, when it comes down to it, good enough is good enough. My £6k Wal will still sound like stinky poo if the drummer has the wrong ride cymbal or the venue has a tiled floor. 😃  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

It sounds to me some old codger@ Wal is hand winding the pups and dropping the spool. Don't they sell these thingys@ Wal-Mart? Seriously I bought a Chapman Stick, they are all hand-made by Emmett for 4GrandUS he said 9 months I had it in 8. I wonder about you guys sometimes. I played Percy's Wal when we opened for his band he played my fretless P bass he liked my bass I loved the Wal but gheesh...

This sort of thing makes me laugh - one company tells you how long a build is and what the cost will be, and someone will always pipe up about how a completely different company with a completely different business model will make a completely different product  quicker and cheaper so there's no excuse for the cost or the build time

• Like 5

Lead time is a combination of demand vs resource. I guess Wal has a very small amount of the latter and quite a lot of the former. When I bought mine from the factory (back when it was in High Wycombe) it took 7-8 months end to end, and that was kind of in their heyday when it was Pete and a few others (Paul appeared towards the end of that period and was rather young, but clearly knew his stuff, when I first met him!)

It’s hand building, one at a time, and I’d expect with an operation that small that they don’t order raw materials as the build goes on until they’re actually needed. If it’s 1-2 people with an order backlog of 50-100 basses then that would probably easily account for the lead time. Until they got a business manager, Fodera were quoting 2-3 years, with a much larger shop and staff.

Be honest, it’s not “working pros” buying them anymore - I was back in the late 80s/early 90s and there quite a few of us - it’s a collection piece for those with the money and/or desire to own them - and they are unique. 

• Like 2

I’ve never really followed Wal’s, but there’s certainly some stunners in a few other threads, how are they for holding their value?  What I’m thinking is , if I ordered one for example for 8k and it took 3 years to complete , if I really liked it I would keep it, but if for some reason It wasn’t for me, would I get my money back if I sold it on 

9 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Lead time is a combination of demand vs resource. I guess Wal has a very small amount of the latter and quite a lot of the former. When I bought mine from the factory (back when it was in High Wycombe) it took 7-8 months end to end, and that was kind of in their heyday when it was Pete and a few others (Paul appeared towards the end of that period and was rather young, but clearly knew his stuff, when I first met him!)

It’s hand building, one at a time, and I’d expect with an operation that small that they don’t order raw materials as the build goes on until they’re actually needed. If it’s 1-2 people with an order backlog of 50-100 basses then that would probably easily account for the lead time. Until they got a business manager, Fodera were quoting 2-3 years, with a much larger shop and staff.

Be honest, it’s not “working pros” buying them anymore - I was back in the late 80s/early 90s and there quite a few of us - it’s a collection piece for those with the money and/or desire to own them - and they are unique. 

I'd imagine some working pros still buy them but I know what you mean. I think they are also purchased by high end studios to offer for recording sessions, alongside vintage P basses, etc.

At the end of the day, if their lead time is 3 years, it's FAR better that they are upfront and honest with their customers rather than certain other companies that claim a 6 month lead time and take three times as long. If you know the score when you sign up then you can't fault the company for being honest. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve never really followed Wal’s, but there’s certainly some stunners in a few other threads, how are they for holding their value?  What I’m thinking is , if I ordered one for example for 8k and it took 3 years to complete , if I really liked it I would keep it, but if for some reason It wasn’t for me, would I get my money back if I sold it on 

Can't say for sure but given the prices you see on Reverb they would probably at least hold their value - from that point of view they're a better bet than Ritter, Alembic, Smith, Fodera and MTD.

• Like 1

Has anyone in Manchester/NW area got one? When “lockdown 3 - back to lockdownia” is over I wouldn’t mind a closer look/trial before I decide on ordering new or buying used and living with it for a bit before investing £7000-£8000 in something my kids will probably sneeze on...

32 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

When I was at the Electric Wood workshop a few years back I was amazed at how tiny an operation it was - really just a small workshop.    I didn't see Paul and the guys there driving Rollers or Ferraris (unless they were parked hidden behind the lockup.....) so I don't think they're making a fortune in the bass business.    Undoubtedly keeping it small is what preserves the desirability and cachet of the brand, and I'm sure it's deliberate policy not to expand or outsource and so devalue the image.

I think a good few pros and players do still use their basses for what they were intended (Bilbo and myself for two), but yes; unfortunately they seem to have attained the same mystique as pre-CBS Fenders - rightly or wrongly - and increasingly will tend to go straight from the workshop into a bank vault, unsullied by a mere musicians fingers...... :(

11 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Has anyone in Manchester/NW area got one? When “lockdown 3 - back to lockdownia” is over I wouldn’t mind a closer look/trial before I decide on ordering new or buying used and living with it for a bit before investing £7000-£8000 in something my kids will probably sneeze on...

If you fancy a spin down to S Wales post lockdown Andy, you'd be more than welcome to try out my pair of Mk 1 Customs ( fretted '82 and fretless '85).    Hopefully there'll be another BC-er closer though! :)

3 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

When I was at the Electric Wood workshop a few years back I was amazed at how tiny an operation it was - really just a small workshop.    I didn't see Paul and the guys there driving Rollers or Ferraris (unless they were parked hidden behind the lockup.....) so I don't think they're making a fortune in the bass business.    Undoubtedly keeping it small is what preserves the desirability and cachet of the brand, and I'm sure it's deliberate policy not to expand or outsource and so devalue the image.

I think a good few pros and players do still use their basses for what they were intended (Bilbo and myself for two), but yes; unfortunately they seem to have attained the same mystique as pre-CBS Fenders - rightly or wrongly - and increasingly will tend to go straight from the workshop into a bank vault, unsullied by a mere musicians fingers...... :(

If you fancy a spin down to S Wales post lockdown Andy, you'd be more than welcome to try out my pair of Mk 1 Customs ( fretted '82 and fretless '85).    Hopefully there'll be another BC-er closer though! :)

Never say never mate. We have friends in Newtown.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Never say never mate. We have friends in Newtown.

Lol, not so far - I'm just at the southern border of Powys.   Worth a trip to God's country just for the mountain air and a pint or two of Felinfoel!