Why become a member? ×

NPD Joyo OJ

stewblack

Picked up a lovely little pedal from our own dannybuoy this week.

It's a Joyo Orange Juice and this thing is tiny! Nicely designed with a flip cover protecting the controls against accidental misadjustment. Twin LEDs shine through the cover to  back light the logo, and for those who care about the aesthetics it looks pretty cool.

What does it do? I intend to use it instead of the American Sound on one of my boards because it takes up much less room. It lacks the three eq buttons on the AS, but the single tone control is pretty responsive. Like the AS it has level, voice and drive controls. Voice and drive both increase the volume and both break up the signal. The voice delivers a brighter, lighter distortion while the drive is thicker, richer.

I achieved a wide variety of different effects blending these two, from a slight colouring of my tone to a full, richly filthy overdrive. In between it compressed and thickened the sound, producing a passable impression of an old tube amp.

This will be an always on for me, I don't really play much heavy stuff these days, but I like to scuff up the clean sound in my soul band. Being a gear whore, I have various options to achieve this, but none this small, and none this cute.

IMG_20200725_205942.jpg

IMG_20200725_205856.jpg

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

I really love that pedal! :heart:

So much I got 2 of them.

Currently only use one of them in my bass pedal setup though, for a really great slightly grinding medium overdive kind of thing, that I blend with cleans via my Boss LS-2.

It is capable of some serious amazingly clanky grinding high gain overdrive to medium distortion though, with the Drive knob cranked up higher, the Voice knob boosted a good bit, boosting the frequency area around 800Hz (but with a pretty wide Q curve, cutting the area around 400Hz bellow the 12 o'clock position. The reason it overdives the pedal when you boost it is that it's a pre gain stage EQ control), and the Tone knob turned slightly above the 12 o'clock position, slightly cutting some low end, especially great that way blended with a bit of clean signal, where it will deliver this really edgy and seriously aggressive grinding medium gain distortion tone that will cut through everything.

Cranked the distortion kind of having a character that somewhat reminds me of a mixture between a cranked Boss BD-2, and especially a cranked Boss DS-1, just way more full and not in any possible way thin, perhaps somewhat more amp like, sounding.  

How I use it currently it is considerably more moderate though, and actually really great as my main overdriven tone, still slightly to the more clanky and grinding side, but nothing too drastic, and still with a good amount of low end included, since I blend it with clean signal via my Boss LS-2 at an almost 50/50 ratio, just adding a slight bit of grind and edge to an otherwise a lovely full sounding medium gain kind of overdrive tone. 

Would have loved to own the, sadly now discontinued, but also much more expensive, Tech 21 Oxford pedal, from their Character Series, that the Orange Juice is based on, for a much more extensive EQ section.

Or Joyo just making it in a bigger version, with the same EQ controls as their Sound series of pedals, like the original Tech 21 Oxford pedal got. 

It's not bad in this scraped and seriously sized down version though, still an absolutely amazing drive pedal,  just sometimes could wish for a bit more control over the EQ. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

My GF brought me one of these about 3 years ago. I loved it at first but found it a bit too ‘rough’ sounding for what i need, not used it for about 2 years. Love the lights though. 

I reckon this thread Could be the perfect advert for it if you want to sell 

37 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I reckon this thread Could be the perfect advert for it if you want to sell 

Can’t sell as it was a gift unfortunately. She noticed to was missing off my board when I first removed to lol. First time she has noticed anything. 
EDIT: hopefully the PC brigade will keep their noses out of this one. It happened and that’s that. 😬

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Haha 2