Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire in "I play a Fender" shock

OldGit

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='433635' date='Mar 13 2009, 01:52 PM']Even more exciting would be 'Chris Squire in "I play a Squier" shock'.[/quote]

Well it's not possible to read the headstock, but as it 1977 it may well be on of the super rare made in the US Squier's that guy in germany advertises fror over £1000

[quote name='gary mac' post='433730' date='Mar 13 2009, 02:46 PM']Might be a fender, but it still has that instantly recognisable Chris Squire sound. :)[/quote]

Indeed - I saw him on TV not long ago playing a Precision and getting that 'unmistakeable Rickenbacker sound' out of it.

[quote name='bremen' post='433882' date='Mar 13 2009, 04:44 PM']Indeed - I saw him on TV not long ago playing a Precision and getting that 'unmistakeable Rickenbacker sound' out of it.[/quote]

Was it a silvery grey colour? He has a Lakland Bob Glaub in that finish! In fact, he did use a customised Tele bass in the early 70s and roundabout (hehehe0 the Relayer era, was using a Jazz bass onstage.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='434105' date='Mar 13 2009, 07:59 PM']Was it a silvery grey colour? He has a Lakland Bob Glaub in that finish! In fact, he did use a customised Tele bass in the early 70s and roundabout (hehehe0 the Relayer era, was using a Jazz bass onstage.[/quote]

It might have been. I thought it was white but I was a bit distracted by an old woman singing in a very high voice 'If I was a flower I would worship the sun'.

Oldgit makes a very good point :-)

[quote name='bremen' post='434146' date='Mar 13 2009, 08:37 PM']It might have been. I thought it was white but I was a bit distracted by an old woman singing in a very high voice 'If I was a flower I would worship the sun'.

Oldgit makes a very good point :-)[/quote]

Don't have to tell I,
Tell the moon Dogs, Tell the March Hare

:)

I'm pretty sure that Chris used the Jazz on Parallels live as well, at least on the GFTO tour. His old Tele bass was stolen (Chris mentions this on the Fish Out Water DVD), but has recently been found at auction and bought by a friend of his. Small correction to an earlier post - he didn't use the Jazz on Roundabout in the Relayer era, but an 8 string Rickenbacker.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='434514' date='Mar 14 2009, 12:03 PM']The whole point of Jon Anderson's lyrics are not that they make sense or tell a story, they simply fit into the song.

I'd have to agree about CS getting 'his' sound on any bass. I can a get a similar sound on my gold bass but never could on an actual Ric[/quote]

Yeah I know .. as a Yes fan of many years (well of the first eponymous album to Close to the Edge anyway) I've heard this.. but imagine if they fitted the song AND made sence. Perfect.

I agree it's in the fingers, and that was hardy a great recording but I thought bits of his playing sounded rather Jazz bass-like

[quote name='jonsmith' post='434537' date='Mar 14 2009, 12:29 PM']I'm pretty sure that Chris used the Jazz on Parallels live as well, at least on the GFTO tour. His old Tele bass was stolen (Chris mentions this on the Fish Out Water DVD), but has recently been found at auction and bought by a friend of his. Small correction to an earlier post - he didn't use the Jazz on Roundabout in the Relayer era, but an 8 string Rickenbacker.[/quote]

:) Yeah, I stumbled across an auction for the above by accident. I was gonna post the link to this forum.
However,the auction ended before I had a chance to send link.It was a Tele ....

[quote name='jonsmith' post='434537' date='Mar 14 2009, 12:29 PM']I'm pretty sure that Chris used the Jazz on Parallels live as well, at least on the GFTO tour. His old Tele bass was stolen (Chris mentions this on the Fish Out Water DVD), but has recently been found at auction and bought by a friend of his. Small correction to an earlier post - he didn't use the Jazz on Roundabout in the Relayer era, but an 8 string Rickenbacker.[/quote]

Absolutely correct; Chris used the Jazz occasionally and on Parallels both live and I believe in the studio. I've been informed that the low part in The Fish is Jazz Bass as well. Possibly my favourite part ever...I believe Vincent Gallo was the one who bought the Tele Bass, as well as Chris's old 21 fret Rick (used to record the Yes Album). He has indeed used Laklands occasionally since (as well as his Mouradian, Eric Ranney 8, Carvins, Tobiases, etc). Not exactly a shock him using a Fender as I've seen quite a bit of footage/photos of him using the Telebass around the turn of the 70s (see the pun there? :)).

[quote name='OldGit' post='434545' date='Mar 14 2009, 12:37 PM']Yeah I know .. as a Yes fan of many years (well of the first eponymous album to Close to the Edge anyway) I've heard this.. but imagine if they fitted the song AND made sence.[/quote]

Jon fitted his words to the music; they were never really supposed to make sense, and I feel are all the better for it. I love his lyrics actually; to me it's one step above the normal narrative; lyrics as Fine Art. :)

If you read my post closely, I was using `roundabout' as a pun (i.e. a round about) - I've seen footage of Squire playing a Jazz in tour with Moraz on keys (which would have been the Relayer era) - yes, he actually would have used the 8 string Ricky on that track (one of only two ever made like that - the other one belonged to Entwistle!).

Chris was recently in hospital with a blood clot in his leg - lets hope he's ok.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='434848' date='Mar 14 2009, 08:13 PM']If you read my post closely, I was using `roundabout' as a pun (i.e. a round about) - I've seen footage of Squire playing a Jazz in tour with Moraz on keys (which would have been the Relayer era) - yes, he actually would have used the 8 string Ricky on that track (one of only two ever made like that - the other one belonged to Entwistle!).

Chris was recently in hospital with a blood clot in his leg - lets hope he's ok.[/quote]

Actually, that little section of your post seemed a bit garbled with a typo or two, so I took an educated guess at what you had meant to type. Now that you've clarified, my post seems rather redundant, except for an opportunity to mention the 'potatohead' 8 strings.

[quote name='jonsmith' post='435006' date='Mar 15 2009, 02:01 AM']Actually, that little section of your post seemed a bit garbled with a typo or two, so I took an educated guess at what you had meant to type. Now that you've clarified, my post seems rather redundant, except for an opportunity to mention the 'potatohead' 8 strings.[/quote]

Msut leanr tu tipe!

Sorry Jon! Yes, there were only two such basses, as noted! Am I right in saying that the `bass' strings were above the treble (octave) strings such that you would strike the thicker string first with a pick downstroke unlike most 8 stringers which have the treble strings on top!?

Incidentally, I'm putting a new band together, its mainly Dire Straits and Chris Rea material - gonna call it Dire Rea!!! (sorry!)

Cheers!

Nick

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='435235' date='Mar 15 2009, 02:41 PM']Incidentally, I'm putting a new band together, its mainly Dire Straits and Chris Rea material - gonna call it Dire Rea!!! (sorry!)[/quote]

:) (Actually, I might just have heard that one before.)

Found a picture of John Entwistle's potatohead 8 string on the RickResource Forum:

[url="http://www.rickresource.com/forum/download/file.php?id=10260&mode=view"]http://www.rickresource.com/forum/download...0&mode=view[/url]

Looks like the bass string is the first one you would hit. Apparently the reason the standard 4008 and the 4003s8 had same size tuners for both strings was so that the owner could decide what way round to put them. I'm guessing that the nut was cut in a way that encouraged a particular choice, but perhaps 4000 can confirm?

Oh, oh. Thread drift...getting back to Chris & Fenders, here's the front of the auction for Chris's Tele:

[url="http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5548694"]http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5548694[/url]

Edited by jonsmith

[quote name='jonsmith' post='435426' date='Mar 15 2009, 07:10 PM']:) (Actually, I might just have heard that one before.)

Found a picture of John Entwistle's potatohead 8 string on the RickResource Forum:

[url="http://www.rickresource.com/forum/download/file.php?id=10260&mode=view"]http://www.rickresource.com/forum/download...0&mode=view[/url]

Looks like the bass string is the first one you would hit. Apparently the reason the standard 4008 and the 4003s8 had same size tuners for both strings was so that the owner could decide what way round to put them. I'm guessing that the nut was cut in a way that encouraged a particular choice, but perhaps 4000 can confirm?

Oh, oh. Thread drift...getting back to Chris & Fenders, here's the front of the auction for Chris's Tele:

[url="http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5548694"]http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5548694[/url][/quote]

Indeed, you're correct about the tuners on the 4003s8. The nut on the 4008 was supposedly cut the opposite of the 4003s8. The 4008 had the octave string before the normal string (so if playing upstrokes you'd hit the deeper string 1st), whereas the s8 had it the other way round, although Entwistle's seems to be the same way round as my s8 was. Maybe he changed it, or maybe the 2 potatoheads were the same as the s8s but not the 4008, or maybe the "supposed to be" is hogwash. There are others on the Rick Resource Forum who would know more. I honestly can't remember....old age you know. :rolleyes:

[url="http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=387035&p=515024&hilit=4008#p515024"]http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopi...it=4008#p515024[/url]

Edited by 4000