Why become a member? ×

P-J reverse configuration?

BottomEndian

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='433437' date='Mar 13 2009, 11:43 AM']I made mine kind of like that. P in normal place and J right at the neck. Can't pic from here though.[/quote]
That sounds awesome. The J must be instant dub-land. Pics ASAP please! You'd probably have room to stick another J in at the bridge too...

Hold on! Surely John Paul Jones must have experimented with a J-P-J configuration, if only for the name? :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='433458' date='Mar 13 2009, 11:56 AM']I think one of the Fender Stu Hamm or Urge or something basses had a JPJ configuration[/quote]

Yes indeedy, but i too would be interested to see a P at the back and j in the "normal" position. Humm...!

[quote name='MythSte' post='433475' date='Mar 13 2009, 12:08 PM']Yes indeedy, but i too would be interested to see a P at the back and j in the "normal" position. Humm...![/quote]
Me too (obviously). Whenever I've played a Jazz (which is admittedly only three times), I've always gravitated towards the neck pickup, and I'd be really interested to hear the extra "bite" from a P at the bridge. My guess is that you'd have to swap the P's coil positions (E-A unit closer to the bridge than D-G unit) to avoid the D and G strings being too twangy.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='433484' date='Mar 13 2009, 12:16 PM']I'd be really interested to hear the extra "bite" from a P at the bridge. My guess is that you'd have to swap the P's coil positions (E-A unit closer to the bridge than D-G unit) to avoid the D and G strings being too twangy.[/quote]
I've seen "mirrored" dual P p/u's like that (Warwick Stryker?), but BC Rich - who have been using mainly dual P DiMarzios on their basses for 30+ years, leave them in standard configuration and get a lovely punchy sound. :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='433534' date='Mar 13 2009, 12:46 PM']Warwick do the Buzzard which I think has two Ps - and the one at the bridge might be in reverse. Would be interesting to hear a J-P![/quote]
Just beat me to it!

[quote name='Shaggy' post='433536' date='Mar 13 2009, 12:48 PM']I've seen "mirrored" dual P p/u's like that (Warwick Stryker?), but BC Rich - who have been using mainly dual P DiMarzios on their basses for 30+ years, leave them in standard configuration and get a lovely punchy sound. :)[/quote]
Interesting! Do you use the bridge pup on its own?

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='433556' date='Mar 13 2009, 12:59 PM']Interesting! Do you use the bridge pup on its own?[/quote]
Personally, very rarely on [b]any[/b] dual p/u bass - I find combined setting is generally where the tone is at, or neck p/u only for a darker tone (eg; for R&B / blues). The bridge p/u on my Eagle certainly gives a fatter sound than on my P/J precision, but I guess the big advantage of P/P is that the output of the p/u's is better matched than with P/J.
A lot of it is aesthetic too - a J / P would just somehow look "wrong"!

the historical progress from single coil at the scale/6 position to split coil to twin single coil to full humbucker nearer the bridge never took in the P/J configuration
imho its a bit of a marketing thing for those who want a P and a 'J'
for pups in those positions to really be matched one would need to look at rickenbacker
small thingy at the neck and a robust one at the bridge...single coils
when you do that you dont really need the neck one though
just a 3 band eq to manipulate the bridge pup...which should be a humbucker wired parallel

anyone find that interesting...you ray owners

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='433452' date='Mar 13 2009, 11:53 AM']That sounds awesome. The J must be instant dub-land. Pics ASAP please! You'd probably have room to stick another J in at the bridge too...

Hold on! Surely John Paul Jones must have experimented with a J-P-J configuration, if only for the name? :)[/quote]

Kinda hard to make out with black pickups in a dark scratchplate, also, twin P on my Mockingbird: