Why become a member? ×

Rocco Palladino gear etc...

Vanheusen77

On 25/07/2020 at 17:11, skankdelvar said:

It's not so much smugness as an air of 'Look at me. I'm in control not only of my instrument but also of my life and everything going on in it. That's because - at my core - I'm a stable, well-adjusted person to whom integrity and authenticity are more important than financial gain or transient popularity'.

So, basically, the mating signal of the (current) younger generation and one which musos integrate into their recordings and performances the better to engage with their audience. It's the old 'dress and act like your punters only 10% more'.

Permit me to expand.

Crudely speaking, I am of the second 'rock muso' generation where both musos and male consumers (sometimes) attracted sexual partners through displays of an unbridled, nay, rampant masculinity reminiscent of Vikings on a North Sea cruise. Fast cars, random destruction of property, indiscriminate porking, heavy consumption of recreational narcotics including but not limited to Heineken lager, cheap bourbon, red leb and pills. Girlies liked that sort of (falsified) image or so we thought. Bands sold their records off the back of it.

The third generation was all about 'Oh, I'm so sad, I'm crying, everything's all too much, it's all black sheets of rain. I might sometimes play loud, discordant guitar but underneath I'm just a little boy who's grazed his knee and wants mummy to kiss it better then, if possible, work upwards'. That's everyone from Cobain through to the afore-mentioned Sheeran*.

The current Gen 4 is all about character and identity and moderation and dressing down and having the latest app, and looking all buttoned-up and extremely unlikely to make a sudden lunge for the jubblies, this on the basis that to do so would be a shameful loss of control and antithetical to the ethical framework of their lives.

Basically, it's a way of looking un-threatening and a bit superior to the norm, and those who practice this modus operandi  undoubtedly do so in the hope of enhancing their chance of playing 'sink the brisket' with whomsoever may be the object of their interest. Punters do it to get shagged; musos do it to build an audience.

It's not a bad tactic though no more likely to succeed than those which preceded it..

One awaits Gen 5 with interest. Will those musos go further down the route of restraint? Will they dress like 1950's Dads, embrace temperance and write letters to The Church Times expressing their disquiet at mounting evidence of moral degradation? Or will they throw caution to the wind, don buttock-less leather trousers, neck meths and sing songs about dining at the Y?

I do not know but I think we should be told.

* I instance Cobain and Sheeran because they both sit (sat) on the cusp between eras. Cobain started as the wigged-out junkie and ended as the poor little dead boy. Sheeran started as a whiner but has transitioned to self-obsessed, socially-conscious 'entrepreneur'.

I think this was the best BC post of 2020. Might be early with my vote, but confident none the less :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Best BC post of all time perhaps. The only one I can recall ever showing my mates, and they all laughed out loud

Yep, it's really dd but I was thinking about that very post yesterday - because it seemed to resonate with so much that I'm seeing on YouTube at present - and was wondering in which thread I'd find it, and then, as if by magic, someone posted a reply in the very thread :)

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 08:38, cheddatom said:

I think these are better examples of Rocco working with Yussef Dayes, who is one of the most exciting drummers out there

I was just reading through here to see if anyone had posted "Love is the message" - Can't get enough of this at the moment!

With the big London resurgence in jazz  - Joe Armon-Jones, The Ezra Collective, Yussef Dayes etc - They're not exactly short of bass players with whom to play, so I'm guessing it's more about clicking with the right people and enjoying how they play. Dayes isn't getting press because his bass player shares 50% of his DNA with a famous session musician; he's part of a wave. So Rocco stands out to US because he's playing with Yussef Dayes, and we just happen to recognise his surname. 

Therein lies the pressure of having a name to live up to - Nepotism until proven otherwise. 

On 28/07/2020 at 08:38, cheddatom said:

I think these are better examples of Rocco working with Yussef Dayes, who is one of the most exciting drummers out there

I was just reading through here to see if anyone had posted "Love is the message" - Can't get enough of this at the moment!

With the big London resurgence in jazz  - Joe Armon-Jones, The Ezra Collective, Yussef Dayes etc - They're not exactly short of bass players with whom to play, so I'm guessing it's more about clicking with the right people and enjoying how they play. Dayes isn't getting press because his bass player shares 50% of his DNA with a famous session musician; he's part of a wave. So Rocco stands out to US because he's playing with Yussef Dayes, and we just happen to recognise his surname. 

Therein lies the pressure of having a name to live up to - Nepotism until proven otherwise.