Why become a member? ×

Rocco Palladino gear etc...

Vanheusen77

32 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Yep, I was going to make a reference to Jazz musicians but IMO most of the good ones don;t look smug in the way a lot of modern players appear to (huge generalisation I know). But I felt I've seen the consistent smugness somewhere before. 

Folk! Bloody folk!

Specifically Transatlantic Sessions which we used to watch as a band occasionally and wet ourselves at just how smug a bunch of musicians could look. I remember one set where the DB player was holding down about as rudimentary a root-5th pattern as is possible whilst pulling the sort of faces you've expected of Mingus when pulling out some of the most physically demanding and musically complex DB possible. Very entertaining :)

There is of course something far worse....

169813B2-17FF-4BA5-AE43-6B739DE2323E.jpeg

40 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

It's not so much smugness as an air of 'Look at me. I'm in control not only of my instrument but also of my life and everything going on in it. That's because - at my core - I'm a stable, well-adjusted person to whom integrity and authenticity are more important than financial gain or transient popularity'.

So, basically, the mating signal of the (current) younger generation and one which musos integrate into their recordings and performances the better to engage with their audience. It's the old 'dress and act like your punters only 10% more'.

Permit me to expand.

Crudely speaking, I am of the second 'rock muso' generation where both musos and male consumers (sometimes) attracted sexual partners through displays of an unbridled, nay, rampant masculinity reminiscent of Vikings on a North Sea cruise. Fast cars, random destruction of property, indiscriminate porking, heavy consumption of recreational narcotics including but not limited to Heineken lager, cheap bourbon, red leb and pills. Girlies liked that sort of (falsified) image or so we thought. Bands sold their records off the back of it.

The third generation was all about 'Oh, I'm so sad, I'm crying, everything's all too much, it's all black sheets of rain. I might sometimes play loud, discordant guitar but underneath I'm just a little boy who's grazed his knee and wants mummy to kiss it better then, if possible, work upwards'. That's everyone from Cobain through to the afore-mentioned Sheeran*.

The current Gen 4 is all about character and identity and moderation and dressing down and having the latest app, and looking all buttoned-up and extremely unlikely to make a sudden lunge for the jubblies, this on the basis that to do so would be a shameful loss of control and antithetical to the ethical framework of their lives.

Basically, it's a way of looking un-threatening and a bit superior to the norm, and those who practice this modus operandi  undoubtedly do so in the hope of enhancing their chance of playing 'sink the brisket' with whomsoever may be the object of their interest. Punters do it to get shagged; musos do it to build an audience.

It's not a bad tactic though no more likely to succeed than those which preceded it..

One awaits Gen 5 with interest. Will those musos go further down the route of restraint? Will they dress like 1950's Dads, embrace temperance and write letters to The Church Times expressing their disquiet at mounting evidence of moral degradation? Or will they throw caution to the wind, don buttock-less leather trousers, neck meths and sing songs about dining at the Y?

I do not know but I think we should be told.

* I instance Cobain and Sheeran because they both sit (sat) on the cusp between eras. Cobain started as the wigged-out junkie and ended as the poor little dead boy. Sheeran started as a whiner but has transitioned to self-obsessed, socially-conscious 'entrepreneur'.

I’m still laughing out loud Skank, made my day even more than the Afro Beat band posted this morning!

So to be clear, future BFs of my daughters are likely to be of this ilk?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

It's in Martin's workshop at The Bass Gallery, and he kindly took it out to show me.

I know it's "just a Precision" - this was his Custom Shop replica of his original - but it was genuinely a gorgeous example of the breed. Not flashy, no exotic diseased woods, no gold-plated hardware, but an excellent player's bass.

I've seen (and owned) lots of Precisions. Some call out "play me", most don't.

This one did.

So Martin is working in the Gallery is he? I wasn’t sure where they were with lockdown and everything. I have a little work that needs doing, although  getting a train to London in the current circumstances isn’t really on my to do list. 

10 hours ago, Beedster said:

I’m still laughing out loud Skank, made my day even more than the Afro Beat band posted this morning!

So to be clear, future BFs of my daughters are likely to be of this ilk?

Depends how old your daughters are. By the time they're dating we may be up to Rock Generation 6 (Alt-Baroque in kilts with lots of Hare Krishna-type smiling) or rock may be dead altogether and the sole focus of interest will be the new Samsung neural implant phone with Bluetooth access straight into someone else's mind.

If you abhor this prospect you need to get yourself and your family off the grid, focus on acoustic guitar and buy a riot shotgun.

Don't say you weren't warned.

mossberg-persuader-model-590-pix03.jpg

• Like 1

By the way, rock definitely died with Lemmy, the last authentic rocker. Tough days for those pretending to be the new generation, especially in the punk area. Can't hide a smile when I hear people making punk rock music in 2020, having whiter than white teeth and wearing unaffordable clothes . Hey guys, don't you know that there's no future !

• Like 1

On 25/07/2020 at 17:18, ezbass said:

For the record, I posted the video to show mostly the physical similarities betwixt Rocco and his old man. The video is, let's be kind, arty.

Haven't watched this vid but like all the people in it from watching Studio based live stuff on You Tube 

It's the drumming that tends to draw me and reading some comments on here i think its a bit of a shame when young(ish) musicians keep well away from Pop drivel and do serious stuff which will never make them rich and still get stick for it .. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

. . . . . . .  i think its a bit of a shame when young(ish) musicians keep well away from Pop drivel and do serious stuff which will never make them rich and still get stick for it .. 

I liked the band, and thought the drums and bass worked well together, although the bass had to stand back due to the intricate drum lines. I'd put that band in the "Good for my CV" category.

40 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

Haven't watched this vid but like all the people in it from watching Studio based live stuff on You Tube 

It's the drumming that tends to draw me and reading some comments on here i think its a bit of a shame when young(ish) musicians keep well away from Pop drivel and do serious stuff which will never make them rich and still get stick for it .. 

I think you're suggesting a) that pop is a lower form of music than the music these guys are playing and b) that these guys are capable of writing music that could be sufficiently successful to be termed pop. Great technical ability doesn't always, even often, make for great music, and certainly doesn't always come with great creativity. 

I've watched the video a few times now "trying to get it".  The drums are good and Rocco does a great job of keeping in locked in and leaving plenty of space for all those busy fills - didn't love the parts he played with a chorus (I guess?) effect.   I didn't even mind the dancers, they added some interest to the video.

What I couldn't get was the guitar part - to me it just sounded awful.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I think you're suggesting a) that pop is a lower form of music than the music these guys are playing and b) that these guys are capable of writing music that could be sufficiently successful to be termed pop. Great technical ability doesn't always, even often, make for great music, and certainly doesn't always come with great creativity. 

What you think is just what you think and like your post earlier  which was  good reading and funny its just your take on it  

. Its more about the paths people chose when they decide to play .The great writers,pop or otherwise, don't need to be great players ,they employ the great players .For every every great pop song there follows 100 soundalikes because everyone loved the great one .Capaldi has a hit ,5 more sound a likes get signed . Lets face it we aren't living in the golden era of great Pop . Just good to see and hear players getting together and pushing themselves a bit without the ££ and overnight success being the driver. The stuff i've watched  of these is without Misch so more music only based .We can all dissect why someone wears that or  has that haircut or guitar and even why they are doing it  but Heavy metal,RnB, Rap etc makes for far more entertaining analysis ..I think these guys know their market and there seems to be a healthy scene from what i've seen on my YouTube sessions over a few drinks 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

He's only famous because of his dad. To paraphrase Carl Pilkington "you could say the same about Jesus..." 

Yup,not sure what his Dad was doing at his age ? getting by probably .Plenty time and a good future 

7 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

What you think is just what you think and like your post earlier  which was  good reading and funny its just your take on it  

. Its more about the paths people chose when they decide to play .The great writers,pop or otherwise, don't need to be great players ,they employ the great players .For every every great pop song there follows 100 soundalikes because everyone loved the great one .Capaldi has a hit ,5 more sound a likes get signed . Lets face it we aren't living in the golden era of great Pop . Just good to see and hear players getting together and pushing themselves a bit without the ££ and overnight success being the driver. The stuff i've watched  of these is without Misch so more music only based .We can all dissect why someone wears that or  has that haircut or guitar and even why they are doing it  but Heavy metal,RnB, Rap etc makes for far more entertaining analysis ..I think these guys know their market and there seems to be a healthy scene from what i've seen on my YouTube sessions over a few drinks 

Well put :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cheddatom said:

I think these are better examples of Rocco working with Yussef Dayes, who is one of the most exciting drummers out there

On a side note and drummers ,check out this clip which has eventually found its way to Youtube .It was on my Sky box for months until it disappeared 

Hang around for the solo from about  4mins 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

...Hang around for the solo from about  4mins ...

Yeah, but he's using both his hands..! 9_9  I'll not be trying out that drum plan for our next 'Fake Plastic Trees' session. :$

Other than the very smart, and delicate, 'thrash', I'm not impressed by the rest of 'em. Can't sing for toffee, either. :|

On 28/07/2020 at 19:04, Dad3353 said:

Yeah, but he's using both his hands..! 9_9  I'll not be trying out that drum plan for our next 'Fake Plastic Trees' session. :$

Other than the very smart, and delicate, 'thrash', I'm not impressed by the rest of 'em. Can't sing for toffee, either. :|

doubt i'll ever listen to a tune but i can watch people like this all day 

Haha this thread certainly took off to unexpected, interesting and hilarious places, do go on! 

On the generations thing, I think it is important to remember that this not at all representative of this generations music or instrumentation since hip hop has taken over as the dominant pop music for quite a while now. 

Edited by Vanheusen77

6 hours ago, Vanheusen77 said:

Haha this thread certainly took off to unexpected, interesting and hilarious places, do go on! 

On the generations thing, I think it is important to remember that this not at all representative of this generations music or instrumentation since hip hop has taken over as the dominant pop music for quite a while now. 

Hip hop? That went in the 90’s. Grime is the current thing, although I really wish it was hip hop

• Like 2

• 2 months later...