Why become a member? ×

Popping sound when unplugging from Boss TU3

MTD KZ4 -> Boss TU3.

I've had problems when unplugging this bass in the past. When I unplug the bass with the tuner engaged there is a thump sound a bit like a kick drum which comes through the amp. 

I'm going to take it to my local tech soon but any advice would be appreciated.

Am I missing something?

You will always get that noise when unplugging a live cable which is plugged into an amp at the other end. Regardless of what you're unplugging it from. It's not the pedal at fault. It's always good practice to turn off, or at the very least mute the amp before unplugging any cables. 

He said When the tuner is Engaged. When it's on it should be muting the amp when he is unplugging the bass. first thing is to make sure you have the cable to your amp plugged into the output jack on the pedal and not the bypass one. the bypass one doesn't mute when the tuner is engaged. Other than that i cant think why it would pop when you remove unplug the bass.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2020 at 09:41, Newfoundfreedom said:

Am I missing something?

You will always get that noise when unplugging a live cable which is plugged into an amp at the other end. Regardless of what you're unplugging it from. It's not the pedal at fault. It's always good practice to turn off, or at the very least mute the amp before unplugging any cables. 

With the pedal engaged, it's a mute, there should be no sound coming off the speakers when you unplug the bass.

• 11 months later...

Maybe a stupid suggestion but to cover off all eventualities have you got the output from the tuner pedal plugged into the Bypass socket instead of the Output one?  That one doesn't get muted when you engage the pedal.

Edit: never mind, already been mentioned.  I should learn to read the whole thread before wading in...

Edited by neepheid

Are you running this on batteries? With Boss (and most other pedals) the jack is a switching jack, whereby the battery is disconnected unless a jack is plugged into the input - could be that the sound is the power being cut. I know it’s not supposed to mute the signal when switched on, but these are buffered bypass, so the there’ll still be power in the bypass circuit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Are you running this on batteries? With Boss (and most other pedals) the jack is a switching jack, whereby the battery is disconnected unless a jack is plugged into the input - could be that the sound is the power being cut. I know it’s not supposed to mute the signal when switched on, but these are buffered bypass, so the there’ll still be power in the bypass circuit.

That's a great shout.

9 hours ago, paul_5 said:

I am running the pedal from my Truetone CS6 power supply

• 2 months later...

i have the same problem.  i switch from the fretted to the fretless for 2-3 songs and then back to the fretted....

(i could get a switcher and have both active-electronic basses plugged in at the same time, but the fretless will just sit there plugged in and draining the battery 90% of the practice time.).

the boss tuner should mute the signal when unplugging/plugging the basses;  but it does not.

i run everything through a pedal power 2; no batteries in any of the effect pedals.

i use eminence gold cables between all the pedals, mogami and monster bass cables for the basses and 2 amps.

(the bass runs through boss tuner, boss limiter (for slapping), compressor (for tapping and some disco songs), eq (i use it as a boost when i need to be louder and depending on the acoustics of the venue), and then a splitter; one going to the 250w amp (expandable to 500w); and the other to the 100w amp (expandable to 200w) for the effects.

i am in a effects heavy band with only 1 guitarist so i bi-amp my signal to a "clean" signal and an effect-heavy signal so it sounds like there's 2 players up on stage.  the effects-heavy signal contains a pog, fuzz, distortion, overdrive, chorus, and delay and flanger.).

my electrician friend suggested that it since i'm in an old building it may be a grounding or wall outlet issue in the building; so he suggested to get a expensive surge protector that may solve the problem...

i just ordered it so i will let you know of the results later on in the week.

i may lag on a post.  so you can always reach out to me on 

[email protected]

just in case i lag on a post....

• 3 weeks later...