Why become a member? ×

NBD and Amp!

Triumph_Rock

Hi Stew,

I learned Trombone in school long ago, no previous guitar experience. This will be my first adventure into bass guitar playing. Unfortunately keen to get learning, I plugged my amp in and switched it on, and there was a loud pop from the amp ( when it pops the speaker moves very quickly ), it admits a loud humming sound at first, which has now gone, but when connected to the bass, no sound comes from the bass guitar at all. So its looks like the amp is broken. Already sent an email asking for a replacement. I wish I could get a Warwick BC80 locally but I can't...

• Sad 1

Yeah so I see there is loads of experience here. I've been researching learning resources tonight, think I will use jamplay.com, it looks like a very well structured website, and loads of famous teachers to boot, and loads of useful features.

Hopefully it will be second time lucky with the amp.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I contacted Thomann yesterday night by email, about a replacement, they have not got back to me today. Which is surprising. I think I will have to phone them. See what they say. If no luck that route, I will contact Warwick directly as I registered for there 4 year warranty on there website lastnight. Rotten luck I'm having.

Thomann included a UK specific plug with the amp, and also it came with the EU plug. I have used both plugs and have the same results with the amp. There is no selector switch for changing power setting, and it has the correct power rating for the UK.

Nice place to start! Shame the amp had a false start but I'll give you one bit of advice that I am still guilty of. Don't practice unplugged. 

I reckon that's the reason my technique is too aggressive and inconsistent as I pickup and noodle unplugged too often and I need to pull harder to get the sound out of the instrument.

Enjoy learning and ask all the questions you need to 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NickA said:

Indeed, Should have auto voltage selection in this day and age  ( my Chinese made American pjb kit does ).  Still, check the fuse. I had a trace combo that often blew it's fuse on startup for no obvious reason. 

If an amp keeps blowing fuses then there is something else wrong with it else where, if the Trace were mine and I bought it new, I'd be sending it back. And ask for a refund or replacement...

By swapping the power leads should of eliminated the fuse, atleast the fuse in the plugs, thats what most people think of when you say check the fuse on electrical household equipment. If there is a fuse else where built into the amp, I certainly am not taking the amp apart as that would void the warranty. 

10 hours ago, Triumph_Rock said:

If an amp keeps blowing fuses then there is something else wrong

In the case of my old trace ( now sold on) it had a huge transformer; I think the fuse went if you hit the mains switch at an unfortunate part of the supply voltage waveform ( transformer inrush ).  Worked fine for 20 years otherwise ... gone now.

The amp has just been packaged for return. Thomann were really good, they asked for some video's of what the amp was doing or wasn't. Saw the video's and have agreed to the return. They have also paid for the return postage.  

• Like 4

On 29/07/2020 at 19:42, Triumph_Rock said:

The amp has just been packaged for return. Thomann were really good, they asked for some video's of what the amp was doing or wasn't. Saw the video's and have agreed to the return. They have also paid for the return postage.  

On the very rare occasions I've had a problem with a Thomann purchase they've been excellent. 

Hope you get it all sorted soon. 

• Like 1

On 25/07/2020 at 08:41, Triumph_Rock said:

If there is a fuse else where built into the amp, I certainly am not taking the amp apart as that would void the warranty. 

FWIW ... Most Trace amps have a separate fuse in the back of the amp (ie additional to the fuse in the plug) it can be changed without dismantling anything - that's the one that goes occasionally.

image.png.56d1ab56d7b6f592b15c6e9733f82a43.png

Just there, between the ON switch and the power socket.

Nice to hear the new Amp is problem free though!! Happy playing.

• 4 weeks later...

Well today, I have subscribed to Jam Play. Started lessons with David Ellefson. Basic is about the parts of a guitar, tuning the guitar, how to set the position of the guitar up sitting down or standing up, so that wrists are straight as possible.

Then in the lesson after that he gave a basic introduction to the fret board. The lesson I am on now, he's given two exercises to learn and improve left hand coordination and dexterity. As well as plucking the instrument properly with the first two fingers and timing it properly with the left hand. Although I prefer pick.

Good camera angles and can turn the tempo down. Supported by notation and tablature, and even has an interactive feature for the two exercises. So you can play along and learn to play in time.

Looks great to me.Â đŸ€˜