Why become a member? ×

NBD Another P Bass

stewblack

When the rest of the bass playing world wakes up to the fact of HB's astonishing ability to turn out flawless instruments and flog them at a 5th of the price of the competition, there will be more than a few manufacturers looking nervously over their shoulders. 

This is another beauty. Not 'good for a beginner' or 'OK considering the price point' or 'will do for a back up' or 'good as a start point for a mod' or 'might be OK once I replace every working part of it'. 

No. It's just great, straight out of the box, no qualification, no prevarication. It's beautifully finished, plays like a dream balances and sounds like a a P Bass. 

42mm at the nut, no sharp edges, no dead spots, beautiful 3ply tort plate, no buzzing, no blemishes. 

And a laughable price tag.

*sigh* in love again. Happens all the time. 

IMG_20200723_154343.jpg

IMG_20200723_154354.jpg

IMG_20200723_154429.jpg

IMG_20200723_154423.jpg

IMG_20200723_154458.jpg

IMG_20200723_154441.jpg

IMG_20200723_154518.jpg

• Like 20

2 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Stew, is the neck pocket the same as a Fender?

I've had a couple pb20's and they were fender spec. 

The Roswell pickups in the more expensive HBs are more than decent imho, and with the build quality, very decent and inexpensive basses. 

• Like 1

Oh I love that! I remember seeing the first batch pop up on Thomann and then quickly sell out. I've got an all black MIJ Jazz Bass Special and one of these would make a killer sibling for it!

Another HB fan here. I've got a shorty P which was only 60 quid when I bought it a few years ago. I still haven't had to do anything to it. It's still got the original strings on it! It's the cheapest bass I've ever bought yet the only one I've never had to fiddle with regarding set up/ intonation etc.

Still feels and sounds great.

11 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Good point, the only HB I had was a stringray copy and it wasn't light. My uncle has an older jazz and it also isn't light. Are the newer ones lighter? 

I too have an older jazz and it's a bit lumpy, this one isn't. 

18 hours ago, stewblack said:

When the rest of the bass playing world wakes up to the fact of HB's astonishing ability to turn out flawless instruments and flog them at a 5th of the price of the competition, there will be more than a few manufacturers looking nervously over their shoulders. 

This is another beauty. Not 'good for a beginner' or 'OK considering the price point' or 'will do for a back up' or 'good as a start point for a mod' or 'might be OK once I replace every working part of it'. 

No. It's just great, straight out of the box, no qualification, no prevarication. It's beautifully finished, plays like a dream balances and sounds like a a P Bass. 

42mm at the nut, no sharp edges, no dead spots, beautiful 3ply tort plate, no buzzing, no blemishes. 

And a laughable price tag.

*sigh* in love again. Happens all the time. 

IMG_20200723_154343.jpg

IMG_20200723_154354.jpg

IMG_20200723_154429.jpg

IMG_20200723_154423.jpg

IMG_20200723_154458.jpg

IMG_20200723_154441.jpg

IMG_20200723_154518.jpg

Pretty sweet looking! Now drop that pickguard (🤮) and put a black one, or mint/parchment, and it'll look really classy.

6 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Pretty sweet looking! Now drop that pickguard (🤮) and put a black one, or mint/parchment, and it'll look really classy.

You do know that when God made pickguard He called them scratchplates and He made them red tort, right? 

I'm not saying all other colours are heresy, but they're pretty damn close. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've always loved the matte black finish for basses (Edit!!: on further inspection it looks more like matte dark grey, still really love it though, might also just be the light in those pictures), and the color of that fretboard wood match nicely with it (I assume very dark rosewood from the look of it), not a big fan of tortoise pickguards though, to say the least, but that particular one there is actually not all that bad, I'd definitely chose one looking similar to that if I was forced to use a tortoise pickguard, though in my opinion a black one with a red layer in, making the edge of the pickguard have sort of a red stripe around it, would have looked much sharper.

But that is just me.

Truly an amazing looking bass in any case.

Congratulations! :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

You do know that when God made pickguard He called them scratchplates and He made them red tort, right? 

I'm not saying all other colours are heresy, but they're pretty damn close. 

By the way, what model is that bass exactly? Such a lovely finish!