Why become a member? ×

Fred Flintstone's war club aka G&L Tribute neck

Andy Brice

Hello peeps ... just become proud owner of a Tribute 2000L bass ...  love it but the width and thickness of the neck are exceptional. The Word on the Net appears to be that to get a less ginormous neck you have to go to the US models. Wondering if anyone has tracked down replacement necks or built themselves one??

Ah the old "chunky, baseball L2000 Tribute neck syndrome!"

I haven`t heard of a replacement neck and GL don`t sell US necks to mere mortals as far as I know. Why not go to a luthier and ask them if they can shave it down for you? Should`nt cost a great deal.

Or see if you can find a tribute neck from a JB, SB, M2000 or Kiliton as they are all smaller. I really don`t know why GL insist on building the L2000 with such a big neck.

Edited by jezzaboy

1 hour ago, rasher80 said:

Its one of the reasons I moved mine on. 

Absolutely loved the sound and the tonal options but my God my hands hated that neck.

It was like a log with strings on

Me too. I had 3 over time just hoping that I would get one with a slimmer neck.

I discussed shaving the neck down with a local luthier and it is doable as there's plenty of meat to go at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I’ve absolutely hated the necks on every G&L I’ve ever played. They are my least favourite ever. 

Come on, tell us how you *really* feel 😜 !

I had a US L2000 and the neck was a big part of why I moved it on.  Just didn't really leap into the hand - I played it a lot live, but it never quite felt right.  I did feel that if there was a zombie apocalypse and zombies rushed the stage that I could probably hold my own using the bass as a club.  I suspect it'd just need a wipe down afterwards - built like a tank!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skybone said:

As G&L is a Fender "derivative" (designed by the man himself of course), then surely, a generic P or J style neck would fit it.

Worth looking into before spending money on getting the neck thinned.

Unlikely, the G&L has a 6 bolt fixing and longer neck pocket. Even if a Fender one did fit it's likely to look a bit weird.

G&L do a Jazz'ish profile neck on one of their models but getting one would be difficult.

Reshaping the original is likely to be the best and cheapest option.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy Brice said:

many thanks other than the neck i can't fault this instrument ... are the usa ones significantly better i wonder??

They do feel a bit more premium all round, and more importantly come with a choice of necks, finishes, woods and weights.  Saying that, the Tributes are incredible for the price, and tonally pretty much the same in my experience!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/07/2020 at 10:02, 4000 said:

I’ve absolutely hated the necks on every G&L I’ve ever played. They are my least favourite ever. 

Hmm maybe try a USA SB2, I had one that I rated as the best I had played. If I remember right it was between an Jazz and P and super smooth, especially with flats. A great bass all round.

• Thanks 1