Why become a member? ×

Still no gigs booked but a busy weekend - audition advice appreciated.

Painy

My band has yet to book any gigs since the restrictions were eased to allow outdoor gigs and existing bookings for later in the year have still yet to be confirmed. Despite that I'm really happy to be looking forward to a relatively busy weekend by the standard of recent times. 

On Sunday my band has our first rehearsal since the start of lockdown. We plan to run through 4 new songs and then have a run through the full set in preparation of any gigs that may come up. It'll be good to see my band mates again and I'll get to try out all the new gear that I bought to ease the boredom of being furloughed. 

Before that though on Saturday, I will be going to my first ever audition as a bass player (I've only ever auditioned previously as a vocalist - my current band has been going for 24 years now and any other band I've played bass for alongside them I've been approached). I'm looking to join a second band to hopefully boost the possibility of getting a decent number of gigs as we move into a brave new world.

The band is a female fronted, 90s indie rock band that are reuniting after 20 years - the original bass player having since given up playing completely. On top of the 4 songs I've had to learn this week for my existing band, I've also had to learn 5 new songs for this audition (including harmony backing vocals for all 9 songs). Fortunately I've managed to get all the songs pretty much nailed and with a couple of days to spare to get them polished.

Aside from learning the songs properly, does anyone have any audition advice they'd care to share? 

• Like 2

Be yourself, you don't want to get the gig and then not be comfortable around your new band mates. 

As long as you are a decent enough player & singer don't sweat the music too much, just have fun and get to know the band. 70% of their decision will probably be about you as a person not necessarily you as a musician (unless you are not up to their standard) 

• Like 1

Remember - you've been approached as a bass player in the past, so you must be doing something right!

You've learned the songs so that's another tick in the box.

Turn up on time, make sure your equipment is OK. Take a mike/stand etc if you got them... good to show you are prepared.

Then just enjoy the session - you're either a good fit with them or not, no point trying to force it.

• Like 2

Turn up on time. Be polite. Learn the parts. Have gear that works. Don’t turn up drunk. Don’t drink while playing. Don’t play a solo in the middle of the track. Don’t stop playing completely if you mess up. Look at the other players while playing and smile. Offer to pay your share for the rehearsal space. Help the drummer carry his/her gear out at the end. Don’t leave abruptly at the end. Don’t arrange anything straight after the rehearsal so you have to leave quickly. Don’t say you’ve got loads on and can’t commit. 

Do all this and you’ll be ok!

• Like 1

I’d also say be a bit flexible if one or two things aren’t 100% to your liking. If most of it works for you give it a shot.

The fact that you are going, you know what they do and sound like means you want to be out playing. Its probably not going to fit 100% with you at first, each band does things differently, but try and see the potential and bigger picture. Its their band, and they know what they want, or maybe they dont lol.

Look on the first time as the start of a work in progress. Also important  is to get on with them and not make it feel like a struggle for them to offer constructive opinion. After all, if they have been playing these songs already they will have comments to make. No attitude lol. 

• Like 1

Sounds like you're sorted with the bass and vocals side of things so just be yourself, friendly, relaxed and open to suggestion and maybe offer friendly advice if asked or required without being pushy or controlling.

I think you'll be fine as you've done all the prep work required. Most bands will be impressed at someone arriving totally prepared. Its always worked for me. 

Wish you all the very best and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Well the audition went pretty well as far as I could tell and I got some positive feedback from them afterwards. They're going to wait until after the weekend before they get together to discuss it as I wasn't the only person they saw but will let me know early in the week. 

It was good fun and I enjoyed playing something different. All seemed like really nice people too. Truthfully, as a band themselves they aren't really up to the standard of my existing band (which I feel very lucky to be part of) but still pretty decent as far as a side project would go. I'll be happy if I get the gig but not devastated if not. 🙂

Edited by Painy
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Once you get the yay (or nay) you’ll have to let us know who they are, I’m intrigued as to this.

It's no secret and nobody famous I'm afraid. 😅

It's a band called Retro who were popular around Norfolk and Suffolk back in the day but they were never signed. Ironically it's only now 20 years later that they actually are retro. 😁

Edited by Painy

So in a twist... 

After the audition on Saturday, my current band had our first rehearsal since the start of lockdown and I had something of an epiphany (as in a moment of realisation rather than the brand of amplification). 

One of the songs that we learnt for the rehearsal and the first thing we played was Bark at the Moon which, while not difficult, is quite a busy song so really needs everyone to be on the money or it'll just sound a mess. We blasted through it and at the first attempt and it was as tight as a nat's chuff and sounded epic. It was a moment were I realised the gulf in quality between my band and the one I was auditioning for. I've actually decided to withdraw from the running as my time with my family is too precious to waste on a project that would ultimately be purely for the money (and not much money at that). It was a fun experience though. 🙂

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Painy said:

So in a twist... 

After the audition on Saturday, my current band had our first rehearsal since the start of lockdown and I had something of an epiphany (as in a moment of realisation rather than the brand of amplification). 

One of the songs that we learnt for the rehearsal and the first thing we played was Bark at the Moon which, while not difficult, is quite a busy song so really needs everyone to be on the money or it'll just sound a mess. We blasted through it and at the first attempt and it was as tight as a nat's chuff and sounded epic. It was a moment were I realised the gulf in quality between my band and the one I was auditioning for. I've actually decided to withdraw from the running as my time with my family is too precious to waste on a project that would ultimately be purely for the money (and not much money at that). It was a fun experience though. 🙂

Good decision, well made it seems. You did as was suggested by many and auditioned them too, albeit retrospectively. A good outcome methinks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Good decision, well made it seems. You did as was suggested by many and auditioned them too, albeit retrospectively. A good outcome methinks.

It worked out for the band too having now spoken to them. Apparently the other applicant was very good and they were having a tough time making a decision. I'd have felt bad if the other guy had been useless and they were either stuck with him or had to go through the process again but in the end they seemed happy to go with him and to have a positive outcome without the need for any more drawn out deliberation. 🙂

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Painy said:

It's a bit of a right hand workout played with fingers too with 32nd notes crossing strings. Great fun though! 😁

It was my absolute favourite to play when I was in a decent cover band a few years ago.  Fun to take my time learning and great fun to play 🙂

• Like 1