Why become a member? ×

3U case for a 2U amp

alexmoore10

At first sight this sounds like a good idea, but I'd be careful. Depending on what you put in the case, if the amp isn't protected, you could scratch or dent it and, if there is enough room for stuff to move about, maybe cause damage to the front or back panels, controls, switches and sockets. I'm thinking leads with 3 pin plugs, jack plugs and anything else with metal components.

I have always used a 4U for my 2U Thunderfunk. The extra airflow helps and I use the space to store the foam blocks I sit the rack on, to cushion the amp from vibration from the cab.

• 3 weeks later...

My rack is oversized in both directions. I put everything in a soft bag because its easier than having individual bits rattling around in there. Lessons the risk of a jackplug ending up in your cheese and pickle sandwiches too. 

For me, to store stuff in my head's rack, i use a 2U rack drawer. So i actually have a 6U rack for a 2U head... that's amp at the bottom, a 1U blanking panel above with 6x 30mm computer fans bolted into it to push cool air through the front over the top of the amp; a 2U rack drawer with strings, picks, etc and yes when i pack down i get my leads and strap in there. Then at the top a 1U rack tuner with a rack light in (the rack light helps for looking in the drawer...).

i rate it, 4U is only a little bigger than 2U and 6U only a little bigger than 4U... if it means you can be tidier, more self contained and less likely to leave stuff lying around... plus you know where stuff is when you need it... i'm game for it. 

My 4U is full of rack gear (2U amp, 1U each compressor and wireless), but I do use the extra space in the back for storing leads etc. However, they all live securely in a bag which I make sure fits snugly enough not to rattle around and cause damage. I pride myself on the inside of my rack and it is neat to the point of being positively anál :lol: so there's no way I'd risk damaging anything. As long as you're careful with what you store in there, it will be fine.

On 22/07/2020 at 09:47, alexmoore10 said:
Hi there

Always had a 2u case for a 2u amp.

Will a 3U case hold a 2u amp securely. I want to use the extra space for storage when going to gigs. 

Thanks

This is what my band were using for a few years

Edited by dave_bass5