Why become a member? ×

Good article on flatwounds

uk_lefty

42 minutes ago, ped said:

Bear in mind the article is translated so some things don’t read quite right. As an advocate of thin flats myself (Labella 769fx) and also TI flats in the past I also disagree with his points however once you get an idea of the reviewers preferences then you can interpret the rest of the review accordingly. 

Booooo! Flats should be thick. Steve Harris signature all the way! 

😁

I'm half tempted to put some super heavy flats on my P just to try them. I think in the past I have associated heavy strings with high action but if I get them set up nice and low it might be good to try, even just to remind me why I like lighter strings... then again it's quite nice having a bass that you have to fight with; it makes going to your other basses feel more of a change.

28 minutes ago, ped said:

I'm half tempted to put some super heavy flats on my P just to try them. I think in the past I have associated heavy strings with high action but if I get them set up nice and low it might be good to try, even just to remind me why I like lighter strings... then again it's quite nice having a bass that you have to fight with; it makes going to your other basses feel more of a change.

In all seriousness the heaviest strings I ever had were the Steve Harris Rotosound signature flats. Unbelievably heavy and tense but on a P bass with the Steve Harris sig pickup the sound was just BIG. Big, clear, bass sound. No grittiness or added character as such just a huge, huge, open and clear sound. The tension took a little getting used to and I had to have a tech set up the bass because I was scared the neck would snap when I first fitted the strings, but I thought they sounded excellent. Same bass with lightweight TI flats did not work for me. 

• Like 1