Why become a member? ×

Squier P Bass Body Wood?

StuarDaddy

I have just started sanding down an old Squier P bass body for a play about with some refinishing. I have no idea with  woods  but was wondering if anyone had a clue what type this is was? I always thought it was Alder,  Basswood or Agathis?

0B811343-3035-4642-A04A-2A4CF1DFE8F1.jpeg

CF1D03E7-2507-4F51-9C42-3708D6BB64B2.jpeg

B4E29FF9-0340-48A3-AD8C-650FE72E94F7.jpeg

D98EE82B-65B6-4A87-8228-A3C45DDB6F95.jpeg

You will probably find that what you are seeing here is a plain veneer over the underlying wood. 

It will be only 0.6mm thick and so can be sanded off to reveal the underlying body wood, which could be basswood, alder or other species.  The body will have a number of parts - probably three or more - and I think the veneer is put on to provide a good base for painting, removing issues of the paint sinking into any joins, knots or other issues that could lead to quality rejects or other manufacturing wastage.

If you are repainting, then I would leave it on.  If you are planning staining or leaving as natural, then you could sand it off - but that is surprisingly hard work and you can't guess what is underneath until it's off. 

I'm pretty sure I have some shots somewhere of the back of a Squier sanded off and finished in natural.  I'll try and find it.

Edited by Andyjr1515

Yeh I had a little search last night and seen something about veneers being used. Its an old 2002 Affinity body so should be Alder by all accounts. Through the old finish I was sure I could see 3 parts, a centre piece with two sides but now if its a veneer I'm not so sure cos surely that wouldn't show through ?? Slight difference in the way the finish seemed to sit either side of the centre. I'm not overly concerned as its a bit of an experiment and practise, just wanted to know for future reference. The plan was to just refinish it in Sonic Blue. Out of curiosity does anyone use grain sealer or primer first before you go for the main colour or do would you just go with a light base coat of the sonic blue and build it up?