AinsleyWalker

Actives basses into preamp pedals - opinions?

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with running active basses into preamp pedals (for EQ purposes, not talking using things like Darkglass pedals for drive, I know that's amazing from experience!)

I've always found having some form of EQ (used to own a GE-7B) on my board to be really helpful even though both of my basses are active (MM Stingray 4, Ibanez ATK-305) and I've been really interested in getting the Aguilar Tone Hammer or something similar for some more sound sculpting options but I'm undecided if it's 100% necessary.

I know it's all about taste and there's no right or wrong way a lot of the time but I thought I'd see what people's thoughts were first.

Cheers!

Posted (edited)

Yep - done it - it works, it’s not just active bases or more specifically active ore amps that can overload a circuit and give too much of a pushed sound - hot passive pick ups can do that too

Its all about gain staging to get the effect you desire

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 2

Yep, 

just got a Marcus Miller and whilst it is tasty on its own, the Tone Hammer does seem to elevate it further.

• Like 1

I play all but one of my basses actively. Tech 21 VTDI works a treat as a tone shaper to provide a core sound and I can then use the EQ on my basses to overlay eg treble cut for Motown etc. or have an EQ patch set up on a multi fx ready to kick in. 

Don't think it should be a problem at all. 

• Like 1

Not sure why it makes a difference if it is active or not, if you want to change your EQ on your pedalboard, there seems to be a lot of options to do it.

Luckily I have all the toneshaping I want on my amp, because I certainly don't have room on my pedalboard!

I do it all the time.

Some pedal preamps have a different character to the sound, some just have more useful EQ points for the room.

I like to leave the EQ on my sandberg flat when setting up, and then I can have full use of it to tweak it during a performance without having to faff with my amp / pedals again.

• Like 1

Hi-Z and lo-Z basses act differently with certain effects, or the other way around: especially OD/fuzz/dist and compressors behave differently depending on the bass' output circuitry. It does not seem to be so much about the level than the impedance. This is verified by changing the order of the effects in the chain. So I have two fx boards.

• Like 1

Yes - I'm an active Bass owner, and record a lot with preamp's / DI's into interfaces (pedals or rack versions). For me, they are mandatory.

Although the EQ's on my basses are comprehensive enough, and the Bass pre-amps run at 18 volts, sometimes there's a lack of gain/headroom.

The only preamp I've ever had a problem with was the V1 Sansamp (20 years' ago?) - which my active Basses didn't appear to get along with.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 23/07/2020 at 08:19, Woodinblack said:

Not sure why it makes a difference if it is active or not, if you want to change your EQ on your pedalboard, there seems to be a lot of options to do it.

Luckily I have all the toneshaping I want on my amp, because I certainly don't have room on my pedalboard!

I've read a lot of opinions about sending a preamp into a preamp (not including the preamp within the amp) and gain stages, issues with noise floors etc. 
Like I said I know there are no rules and it's about preference but I wanted to see what people thought.

Edited by AinsleyWalker

I guess it depends where the signal's going after the preamp pedal - does your signal ultimately end up in a bass amp, a FoH PA, or somewhere else?

I'm much less of an active bass buff (I only own one, all my others are passive), but my instincts tend towards keeping things simple. It probably helps that I like the core tone of my amp & cab, but I haven't felt a need to put any additional EQ stages in the chain.

On the other hand, I have a preamp-DI pedal for the occasions where I'm forced to go DI, mainly for the benefit of my passive basses - I can see the sense in having a preamp in place there. Especially if the Stingray's onboard EQ is only 2-band (correct?), I can see that you might want to be able to control your midrange.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By iamtheelvy
      Line 6 M5 multi-effects unit. Great pedal when it’s working! This one has a short somewhere on the casing. Works perfectly when the case is removed... I don’t use it enough to be bothered to fix it, but should be a simple fix if you know what you’re doing. Come with original power supply.

Please be aware if buying - it won’t work directly out of the box!
      £40 delivered.

• By bootleg
      Soundblox Pro Multiwave Bass Distortion for sale. £90 including postage in UK.
      Comes boxed, with manual, never gigged, in very good condition. Plastic film still covering face of the pedal! The knobs are a little tacky. Power plug not included.
      Diverse Sound Palette — Featuring 23 varieties of our unique distortion algorithms with an added CLEAN BOOST + EQ mode. Multiband Processing — Signal is split into multiple bands and distorted individually for unprecedented sound clarity. State-of-the-art DSP — Our proprietary 56-bit Digital Signal Processor, the SA601, and crystal clear 24-bit converters. 6 User Presets — Easy to configure user presets in two banks selectable via 3 footswitches for quick access of your favorite sounds. 7-Band Equalizer — Ultra-precise 7-band equalizer for in-depth tone control saved per preset. Extended Control — An expression input allows morphing of sounds between preset banks. A MIDI input allows external access to presets and parameters. Motion Control — All Soundblox and Soundblox Pro pedals are ‘Hot Hand Ready’ and can be used with any Hot Hand motion sensor to extend the capabilities of the unit. Active Analog Bypass — Bypass is fully routed around the DSP and active input ensures zero signal degradation. 9V DC power supply included. Dimensions: 7 in./17.8cm (length not including I/O jacks) x 6 in./15.25cm (width) x 2 in./5cm (height, including knobs). https://www.sourceaudio.net/product_soundbloxpro_multiwave_bass_distortion.html
      Pedal located in Bristol. Shipping included to UK.

• By FEND3R
      1983 Squire JV Precision bass, candy apple red, rosewood board. All original domestic JV, alder body, relatively light – 3,9kg. As one can expect the bass has been played a lot and shows some dings and dongs here and there, patina on the hardware, etc., but is all original and in more than perfect functional condition: neck is straight as an arrow with minimal truss rod tension (it has a loooot more room to go), also the neck is extremely comfortable at 42mm at the nut and the playability is to die for – out of 12 precisions that I possess incl. very nice vintage fenders, this is the most comfortable to play: super nice neck profile (flat, but not too much) and extremely low action. This is also the last JV I have and the best compared to all the others I had over the years (around 10 if I remember correctly). With flats it does the Motown job, with rounds it sounds deep but aggressive.
      More detailed pictures can be found here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/1AJdmjTWwmQ3Qi7R9 
      Why am I selling it if its such a great bass – I am letting go a part of my collection and keeping only the more vintage precisions. I am aware the asking price is not among the cheapest – I have sold JVs here for 500 pounds some years ago, but am also not quite sure I want to let this one go, so if it doesn’t sell for this, I’ll be happy to keep it. Plus - try to find a CAR with rosewood board - it took me close to a decade. Also, if you purchase it and do not find yourself to like it – I can take it back as long as you cover the shipping and payment fees.
      Any questions – please, feel free to ask. Price includes shipping to most parts of EU. 
      You can check my feedback here -

• By FEND3R
      1982 Fender Precision Special, ash body, rosewood neck. The color would have been Arctic White according to the catalog, but as you can see this bass has seen it all – I got it from the first owner - a session musician, who did play on it every day for almost 40 years and it shows. I do not know where to start with the roadworn part, but as can be seen – finish is worn almost everywhere, lacquer on the neck is gone in many places, there are numerous bumps, dings, dongs, etc. (luckily surface, no structural damage), pickguard is cracked near the jack, finger rest has been relocated, fingerboard and frets are also worn from playing, etc. etc. – all this is shown in the photos.
      Now the good part – the bass sounds tremendous, I was skeptical towards the Precision Special model and went to check it out only because it look extremely road worn (which in my book is always good), and walked away with it. The action is nice (truss rod has some more space) although the frets are a little worn (if you are picky there is room to have them polished/crowned), the neck has a very comfy beefy C shape profile. Best part is the sound – I admit that always use it in passive mode and it sounds huge – responsive, lots of everything - lows, mids and highs – a very full sounding bass, a bit like a 70s, but not so clanky. Active mode is also nice if you are into this. It is all original apart form 2 screws as far as I am aware, all relicing is natural, weight is 5,05kg, nut width is 42mm., all hardware and electronics work as they are supposed to.
      More detailed pictures can be found here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/WPTdiHeXBmHbDgPZ8x`
      I am letting go a part of my collection and keeping only the more vintage precisions. The asking price is what it costed me, so am not very keen on discounts. No trades, I am afraid, unless it is a well played pre-1974 precision or recent B-15. Also, if you purchase it and do not find yourself to like it – I can take it back as long as you cover the shipping and payment fees.
      It comes with the original case it was purchased with – Fender “Duck foot” Tweed case (sold more with Fullerton reissues) which is in crooked condition, but if you do not want it – I can knock down 70 pounds off the price.  
      Any questions – please, feel free to ask. Price includes shipping to most parts of EU. 
      You can check my feedback here -

• By Baloney Balderdash
      Been working on my amp-less setup for a while (for my 4 string 28,6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass, tuned to G1 standard tuning, as in 3 half steps above regular E standard 4 string bass tuning, equipped with a DiMarzio Model P P pickup wired directly to the output jack socket, and run through an always on 1 octave up effect mixed with clean signal, giving an effect similar to an 8 string "octave" bass with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings), and I think it finally has reached it's final form with the arrival of the Art Tube MP Project Series tube preamp that I ordered from Thomann last Friday night.
      I did however replace the "hand picked premium selected" ( ...yeah, right...  ) cheap Chinese stock tube, which had a prominent exquisite thin fizzy and harsh top tire Chinese premium crapiest of all crap tonal quality to it (which I suppose must have been the parameters Art instructed their official "tube hand-picker" in chief to aim for), with a proper quality Russian made EHX 12AX7EH preamp tube, which made a huge difference.
      So the tube in this preamp is definitely no cheap gimmick (don't quite understand the reasoning behind Art choosing to save a fairly minimal amount of production bucks by equipping this preamp with a horrible sounding tube from factory though, as it definitely doesn't give the customers the right impression of the overall actual quality of the unit).
      Though I am perfectly aware that this is in the cheaper end of tube preamps on the market, and that it utilizes a starved tube plate circuit, however I've read in a blog somewhere, written by someone who actually measured the tube plate voltage of this preamp, that it still runs at about 70V, which, while quite a bit more than most other starved tube circuits on the market, still is a long way up to the about 200 to 300V that, as far as I know, usually is considered the optimal plate voltage to run preamp tubes at.
      Non the less it does a great job at adding a really nice touch of rich warm tube flavor and slight compression, just taking the upmost sharp edge of my bass signal (not to be confused with tone sucking), sort of rounding off the harshness of my signal in a really beautiful way, while still retaining the bite and zing of it.

This is how the Art Tube MP Project Series tube preamp looks :

This is the specs sheet :

And here's how my always on amp-less setup looks in it's entirety on written form :
      TC Electronic SpectraComp (always on, fully customizable, 3 band, compressor) ->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ->> ={  [Loop A Send] ->> [Loop A Return] ->||<- [Loop B Send] ->> Joyo Orange Juice (always on, relatively low gain, Orange amp style, overdrive, that is always mixed with the clean signal from parallel effects [Loop A] at an about 60% Orange Juice/40% clean signal ratio) ->>  [Loop B Return] }=>> Zoom G1 Four (exclusively used as an always on EQ, utilizing five 1 band fully parametric equalizers to fine tune the tone by boosting the 63Hz, 200Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, and 1khz frequency bands +1 to +2 dB) ->> Behringer BEQ700 Bass Graphic Equalizer (always on, with the 50Hz, 120Hz, 400Hz, and 800Hz band boosted ever so slightly (~ +1 to +2 dB), and the 4.5kHz and 10kHz band cut repsectively about -5dB and -15dB) ->> Art Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp) 
      ->> [ Either : ->> headphones preamp ->> headphones (for home practice) /Or/ ->> mixer/poweramp ->> PA speaker/full range cabinet (for band rehearsals/jamming/gigging) ]